DSC Power 832 home security alarm ;How to clear 'Troubled Communication'

Old 06-01-09, 01:16 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC Power 832 home security alarm ;How to clear 'Troubled Communication'

hi
I have DSC Power series 832 installed in my home and connected to my mobile phones. Recently I tested the intruder alarm and then the alarm went to my mobile.However inspite of pressing # a few times the beep message did not stop and the security alarm kept calling my mobile a further 8-10 times.Now it has a yellow light on the panel with the message 'view trouble communications' on it! I cannot get rid of the light and testing the alarm again has not helped get rid of it. I cannot understand why pressing the # button suddenly does not provide a response from either of my mobiles.I am a newbie and need guidance to sort this out and possibly avoid a call-out to an engineer!.Please help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-09, 04:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
It's set to the wrong dialer format. On a PC 5010/Power 832 you have to use the pager format to try to call a cell phone.

Old 06-01-09, 11:41 PM
S
Any reason why it has changed after a few years?

hi
thanks for the info but on the other hand it has been working correctly for over 4 years when my mobile used to get the rings and I was able to press the # button and answer it for alarm tests! Or Am I asking something too basic?! Apologies if I am!
many thanks

Old 06-02-09, 02:13 PM
you now have a new mobile phone- the old one would send tones longer than the new one you now have...

its a problem with the panel not hearing the tones you are pressing.

see if there is an option on the phone/s for longer DTMF or anything that has to do with sending touch tones

it will clear the yellow LED once a sucessful communication is made (it hearing you on the mobile phone)

this will not harm anything being lit, if you cant get the phone to send the DTMF, just that the system will keep calling until either it times out or "hears" the tones.

Old 06-02-09, 06:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
We can only answer questions based on the information provided. You did not state that this had been working before.

That said:

Is your system the CP-01 model? The standard PC-5010/Power 832 model does not have the residential dial feature.

This makes a huge difference because the programming and features between the two are very different.

If you do have this model, you can try pressing a 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 0, * or # key on your phone for the residential dial response tone. Some cell phones do a better job of emulating touch tones than others as LOCKtec has mentioned.

Old 06-04-09, 09:10 AM
S
Any other options at all?!

hi
My apologies if I did not supply all the info! Many thanks for the suggestions though.Does that mean that If I cannot make the phone one-touch system respond to the residential response dial response tone I just need to accept the situation knowing very well that the alarm at least is working correctly except for the annoying yelow light.I have tried the suggestions and as of now it hasn't helped yet but I am glad I know that the security alarm as such is working perfectly.
My apologies once again If I did mislead someone and thanks to both of you for your kind help.

Originally Posted by MrRonFL View Post
We can only answer questions based on the information provided. You did not state that this had been working before.

That said:

Is your system the CP-01 model? The standard PC-5010/Power 832 model does not have the residential dial feature.

This makes a huge difference because the programming and features between the two are very different.

If you do have this model, you can try pressing a 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 0, * or # key on your phone for the residential dial response tone. Some cell phones do a better job of emulating touch tones than others as LOCKtec has mentioned.

Old 06-04-09, 09:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
_Any_ of the keys listed in the previous response are supposed to work, not just #.

Does you phone have a setting for "touchtone" or "DTMF"? On some mobile phones, that is a function that has to be turned on.
Sometimes the length of the tones can be adjusted.

Does this phone work for touchtone response on other systems that require it?

Barring actual damage or changes to the alarm system, I think that this is a _phone_ issue, not an alarm issue.

If you have programming access to this system, you can change it to a different phone that _does_ generate DTMF tones.

One dirty trick that _might_ work is to hold the handset speaker of a landline phone to your mobile and press one of the proper keys on the landline. If you have a really good mic on your mobile phone, that tone might do the trick.

Old 06-06-09, 12:31 AM
S
A big thank you!

hi,
guys,that's fantastic! My problem has been sorted.What worked was the 'dirty trick' with the handset of the landline phone.Three cheers to MrRonFL and a big thank you to LOCKtec for taking the torubleBeer 4U2.Bottomline...I saved some dough!!!

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by MrRonFL View Post
_Any_ of the keys listed in the previous response are supposed to work, not just #.

Does you phone have a setting for "touchtone" or "DTMF"? On some mobile phones, that is a function that has to be turned on.
Sometimes the length of the tones can be adjusted.

Does this phone work for touchtone response on other systems that require it?

Barring actual damage or changes to the alarm system, I think that this is a _phone_ issue, not an alarm issue.

If you have programming access to this system, you can change it to a different phone that _does_ generate DTMF tones.

One dirty trick that _might_ work is to hold the handset speaker of a landline phone to your mobile and press one of the proper keys on the landline. If you have a really good mic on your mobile phone, that tone might do the trick.

Old 06-06-09, 07:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad it worked. They used to sell little gadgets that generated touchtone tones that you held to a phone handset back before touchtone became standard. A lot of office phone systems didn't generate "real" DTMF, for example

I suspect that you mobile handset _can_ do what you want, but you might need to spend some quality time with the phone's manual to sort it out.