alarm panel disabled?

Old 07-05-09, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
alarm panel disabled?

My friend just bought his first house, which has an older Alarm system in it. Its a First alert fa147c ( Ademco ) We have the master code for the unit and can arm and disarm the system, ( he is not worried about monitoring at this point as he does not have a landline and may not for a while ) but would like to be able to at least use it as a local alarm, but when armed then tripped, the siren sounds for a second or so then stops even though the keypads keep giving off there alarm tone. Is this due to the monitoring company disabling the system when the prior owner discontinued monitoring? ( oh,, it does the same thing when you use the * # panic manual alarm trip too, but works when using the 3 # fire manual trip ) Will taking the unit back to default and reprogramming it correct this problem ?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-09, 04:27 AM
is there more than 1 siren?

if so, they may be drawing too much power & its shutting the alarm output down

having it monitored or not is not going to have anything to do with the siren.

programming would not change this, as the time programmed is in minutes, and you state it only sounds for seconds

see if there are 1 or 2 indoor sirens, and any outside.

in the panel box check to see if there is a siren driver, a small PC boad usually attached with 2-sided foam tape- speakers are attached to this, and would not really matter if there are more than 1 siren ( which in this set-up would be speakers )

a siren driver with more than 1 speaker uses less current than self contained sirens being powered off the panels 12 v siren output terminals.

If they are self contained 1 could be bad, and causing the output to shut down. You may need to disconnect them 1 at a time if they are self contained and see if it sounds longer when 1 is not connected.

Old 07-06-09, 05:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
As Locktec pointed out, this is either is sign of too much siren load draw, or of a borderline weak battery.

Ademco design panels use the battery to supplement the internal power supply for the siren, and when they can't draw enough, these systems simply shut off.

Old 07-06-09, 06:46 AM
I'll try to check the battery but it does work when tripped in via the 3 # manual mode from the keypads. ( this does use a pulsed siren output but each pulse does seem to be longer than the second the siren goes off in the burgler mode before sutting back off, but maybe not by much. There is only the one siren. Self contained unit , does not use a siren driver.

Old 07-06-09, 11:37 AM
I am going to have my friend disconnect one wire from the siren, arm the system, trip the alarm, then after say 20 seconds, hook the siren wire back on. I figure if he still gets the one second of sound and then it shuts off that this would support the low battery/overload shut down mentioned.. if the output is already cut off by then it means its something else. I will report back after he tries it with the result. Thanks

Old 07-07-09, 04:07 PM
well he disconected the siren, tripped alarm then when he hooked the siren back on some 30 seconds or more later, he got the same short yelp then it shut off... so most likely it is just the battery and is going to order one.. thanks very much !

Old 07-07-09, 07:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is an outside possibility that there is a problem with the siren itself that's making it draw too much power, but my bet is on the battery.

Old 07-08-09, 02:36 PM
I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Most likely the battery is old.. not sure of its age . And if this board does cut off if there's too much drain then this is likely the problem. I'll post back once he gets the battery and tries it. It will be a couple weeks since he is going out of town for a few days and will order battery when he gets back and then allowing for delivery time...

Old 07-15-09, 09:51 AM
The new battery came and is installed and , yes, thank you very much, it corrected the problem and the system works fine now !!!

Old 09-02-12, 06:37 PM
Master code FA147c

Hi there! Could you please tell me how did you get the master code and how can I reset the alarm system an use it localy?
Thanks!

Old 09-03-12, 01:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Let's start with a manual: http://www.alarmhow.net/manuals/Firs...n%20Manual.pdf

Like all ademco "clones": power the system down both battery and AC power.

Restore AC power and within 50sec, press * + # at the same time. If there's no installer lockout set, it will come up in programming mode.

press #20 and the panel will read back the installer code one digit at a time (ignore leading zeros).

Exit programming with *99

To set the new master code: [installer code] + 8 + 2 + [new master code]

Do this in one smooth set of keystrokes. If you hesitate more than a couple of seconds between keystrokes, the panel will not take the new code.

test the new code by turning the chime function on/off.