Why doesn't my Ademco Vista-20psia complain when I disconnect the siren?

Old 07-07-09, 06:50 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Why doesn't my Ademco Vista-20psia complain when I disconnect the siren?

I disconnected the siren from my Ademco Vista-20psia to do some testing without annoying the rest of the family, and then I read in the user guide that it's supposed to know when the siren is not connected and complain (presumably similar to the battery fault warning?). My system is perfectly happy to have the siren disconnected. Does this indicate a problem with the panel, or could it have been programmed to ignore an open circuit on the siren?

Old 07-07-09, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The system does not supervise the siren by default. You have a red jumper that you must cut in the panel (check your manual for location) also, you must place a 2K resistor across the siren terminals.

Old 07-07-09, 12:37 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks. I don't have the installation/programming manual. I have an unmonitored (for now) system in a new house that is still under warranty. We had a false alarm with a smoke detector so I disconnected the siren so it won't scare the heck out of my 1 year old if it falses again (still have other smoke detectors and the keypad in my bedroom would wake me up anyway).

The company that installed the system is coming out to fix the smoke today, and I've just been doing some checking. I discovered some great programming "features" such as that in night stay mode neither entry/exit doors nor motion detectors trigger the alarm. Looks like I'm going to be asking them to check more than just the smoke detector.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: