Brinks Home Alarm- CP Trouble

Old 07-16-09, 08:13 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brinks Home Alarm- CP Trouble

I had my home phone switched over to AT&T about 6 weeks ago and tonight my alarm started beeping every 15 secs. The main panel was reading CP Trouble. I called Brinks and they said AT&T didnt hook it up to the alarm properly. I call AT&T and they said they dont have expertise in that area and I should call Brinks. So basically they are blaming each other.

Brinks said they can send out a techincan to fix the problem, but it will be at an hourly labor rate. Which I assume would be 70 or 80 bucks an hour.

This cant be that hard of a thing to fix and wanted to reach out to you guys to tell me what to do.

Brinks says my alarm wasnt communicating with them properly and need to get that corrected.

I thought about setting off the alarm and seeing if Brinks calls to find out if they are blowing smoke up my butt or not.

Any help is appreciated.

Kyle - Brentwood, TN

Old 07-17-09, 04:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 129 Votes on 120 Posts
Look in the sticky titled "Alarm Forum FAQ: Please read before posting"

There is a link to a clear diagram of how alarm telecom is supposed to be connected to the phone connections.

Old 07-17-09, 07:12 AM
A
I am apologize for my stupidity. I did read the information you directed me to before I posted this, b/c I didnt see anything about solved a "CP Trouble" issue.

If this is about connecting a phone line to an alarm I didnt see that either.

If you would be kind to cut and paste the instructions you are directing me towards that would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Kyle

Old 07-17-09, 09:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Phone connections:
Alarms can be setup as stand alone systems. To connect them into the telephone lines, it needs to be done correctly, or else someone could prevent the system from dialing out by simply taking a house phone off the hook. This trick is called line siezure, and is accomplished by circuitry built into nearly all modern alarm controls.

The FCC and telecom providers require a means to disconnect alarm systems from the house wiring, for testing and repairs. This is accomplished using a
RJ-31x jack and cord. The basics of hooking this connection can be found at this article: How Do I ... Wire an RJ31X Jack? - HomeTech Solutions
Basically, when ATT moved your wires around, they either disconnected the 4 wires that let the alarm seize the phone line, or they connected them backward. Typical telco field techs aren't taught RJ-31x jack wiring, for some reason.

("CP Trouble/Failure" is just Brinks proprietary terminology for "failure to communicate")

Old 07-24-09, 04:07 AM
A
I wanted to give you an update on this and get your thoughts. I checked out everything and also had my brother check it out, who is a mechanical engineer. I checked out the RJ-31x jack and the 4 jack wires were connected properly and not connected backwards. My brother told me it was properly a Voice Over IP issue. Any thoughts on how to get this resolved?

Old 07-24-09, 04:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
My brother told me it was properly a Voice Over IP issue
Ah ha! _That_ was the missing piece of the puzzle.

Some versions of VOIP are simply not compatible with the alarm communications (you are trying to compress an already compressed data format).

Are you certain that you have VOIP or do you have DSL? If the latter, there is a specific type of DSL filter made for alarm connections.

Basically, if you do have VOIP, and it is properly connected in so that the panel line seizure works correctly, the only fix is to have Brinks change the reporting format to one of the "low speed" formats like 4-2. The Contact ID standard that everyone uses is known to not always work well with some flavors of VOIP.

Old 07-24-09, 04:56 AM
A
I do have DSL...I think my brother was mistake on the VOIP. I dont have Vonage, I have AT&T for everything (phone, cable, and internet). I believe AT&T's internet is DSL, with a wireless router. Any thoughts here since we know it is a DSL issue.

Old 07-24-09, 03:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Thought so...

You want an alarm DSL filter, which is electronically different from the standard ones:

Excelsus Technologies: Products: Alarm Panel Filters

These are a couple of the most common versions.

Old 08-17-09, 08:34 AM
A
So I have been busy and just now getting back to this issue. My alarm is now reading CP and CH Trouble. My brother says I have VOIP...but I dont have the AT&T U-Verse for my phone...it is the standard land line. So you think I need a DSL filter?

Will this fix both CP and CH Troubles?

Old 08-17-09, 10:11 AM
If you have AT&T Uverse, then your internet uses VDSL. With uverse, the AT&T tech installs a VDSL splitter in your demarc. The gateway receives the VDSL signal via a home run or a dedicated pair. In your situation, filters should not be required. To determine if you have uverse voice, check your gateway, if there is a wire connected to the line 1 port, then you have uverse VoIP. It is possible that the alarm has inadvertantly been disconnected at the NID. Did these problems happen after making the switch to uverse?

Old 08-17-09, 10:19 AM
Here is AT&T's article on alarm systems with uverse:

https://uma.att.com/general/855-AMSS-X-DMA1-IFRAME.html

Their techs are trained on how to wire for line seizure, I would have them fix it.

Old 08-17-09, 10:37 AM
A
Yes these problems starting happening after the switch. I dont have UVerse for the phone. It wasnt available in my area. So I have a traditional land-line through AT&T.
Before the switch I didnt have a VoIP phone line either.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-17-09, 04:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Simple and basic test:

Plug a standard hardwired phone into the alarm phone jack.

Does it have a dial tone? If no, then they disconnected the alarm wiring.

If yes, wire a temporary phone jack onto the red green pair at the alarm phone jack and plug you test phone into that. Plug the alarm back in, and trigger something that should send a signal (call the system in on test, first), like a panic. Listen in on the temporary phone connection. What do you hear when the alarm tries to dial out?

The CP is failure to communicate
The CH is a failure of an attempt at Upload/download by Brinks.

This is something that Brinks and ATT need to sort out. ATT created this mess by setting you up with a configuration that is not compatible with your alarm. _They_ need to sort this out.

Old 01-22-10, 07:30 PM
T
I just wanted to say thank you for sharing with us your lecture about the home alarm with the use of your phone. Thank you because I have learned a lot on it. Good luck to you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: