DSC 832 PC5010 - Lost Power after trouble

Old 08-18-09, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC 832 PC5010 - Lost Power after trouble

I've searched the forum, but can't seem to find the answers to my situation:

System was installed in 2003 by builder. No setup to call Police/Fire etc., just siren in the house. The other night, I heard the smoke alarms chirp randomly at one side of the house. I thought it was the batteries (in smoke alarms) until I noticed the Trouble Light lit on the LED keypad. On the inside of the keypad door, it said 'press Reset for 2 seconds to reset smoke alarms'. When I did that the smoke alarms quit chirping.
I then found our Instruction Manual and did the 'view trouble' conditions.
I pressed the *2 and zone light 1 and 2 were lit. It was 3am, so I neglected to press the 1 key again to further investigate the further detail within the zone 1 light. I'm not sure exactly if I did anything else (probably went back to sleep). I recollect that the 'Trouble' light was still lit when I went back to bed. When I got in the morning, all lights on the keypad were off, including the trouble light. In reading the forum about batteries, I figured getting a new one after 6.5 years wasn't a bad investment.
I undid the Red lead to the AC terminal, unplugged the old battery, plugged in the new battery (black first, then red), and then re-connected the Red lead to the AC terminal.

No lights, no nothing.

I checked breaker box outside, but nothing tripped, or labeled for alarm.
My 'control' box is located in a closet quite a few rooms away from the keypad. There is no plug anywhere near this beige control box, the wires all run back into the wall and from there I have no idea where they go (up in the attic under all the insulation is my guess).

I've got the Instruction Manual (which the alarm company left with absolutely no documentation of existing "codes", etc.). I've also have the Installation Manual (downloaded yesterday).

I've got them as a reference, and I'm a computer kind of guy, so hopefully someone can get me pointed in the right direction.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-09, 07:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Your power transformer failed.

It's somewhere in the house. It could be in an outlet just inside the attic access, it could even be in the garage or basement. Often it's plugged in behind a piece of furniture that seldom gets moved.

Trouble 1 was most likely low battery because trouble 2 is AC failure.

Old 08-18-09, 07:50 PM
It sounds to me like a transformer issue. You will have to find where it is plug into. There must be a recepticle in the basement or other part of the house that it's plugged into.

Old 08-19-09, 07:14 AM
Thanks guys,
That's where I was going next. I put a multimeter on the black and red wires coming into the AC terminals and it read 0.166 and fluctuating. Since I get a reading of 122.0 from the wall plug I deduced that this was not near the 16vAC thats supposed to be coming into the control panel.

I'll look around in the attic (no basement) tonight.

I'll let you know what I find.

Old 08-20-09, 08:38 AM
Found it in attic. Just looking for a place locally for replacement.

Old 08-26-09, 07:37 AM
All is well.

Just some info for the neophites (like myself): The old transformer had two terminals, neither of them marked on the casing. The new transformer had three terminals, two marked AC, one marked GND. Additionally, the old terminal did NOT have a ground plug, but the new one did.

Here's another item: the wires from the transformer are 1 red, 1 green. The wires going into the AC terminals on the Control panel are red and black (????).

When I replaced the old transformer with the new one, I hooked the red wire to AC, and the green wire to GND. That didn't work, so I hooked the green to the other AC on the transformer, and that did the trick.

When I placed the red wire back into the AC terminal on the control panel, I got a couple of chirps and the Keypad had the Ready and Trouble light lit. *2 on the keypad produced the number 8 light, which indicates the time/date has to be reset. BTW, my keypad is LED, so I can't see what the time really is, but you go through the step to enter the time and date (*6,master code, 1, hhmmMMDDYY, ##.

Thanks...... You guys on this forum saved me $$$$

Old 08-26-09, 04:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The odds are that the power wires are spliced somewhere along the line (not unusual, but not ideal).

Welcome to the wonderful world of DSC... They have a not of seemingly nonsensical procedures like the time set requirement. There are a few features on the system that are dependent on the system clock, even though _you_ can't display it on your keypad.

On the replacement transformer, that ground terminal is rarely used. Some of the older security systems needed an earth ground reference to monitor the condition of the phone lines. The newer ones (like this one) don't need the earth ground connection.

Old 11-30-09, 06:20 PM
Trouble light on

My brother-in-law was doing some work for me and unplugged the transformer to the alarm system. The transformer was just hanging by the terminal wires and the wires eventually came off. I had no lights or power to the keypad. I investigated the problem and found the wires to the transformer hanging out by themselves and the transformer on the floor. After reading the posts on this forum, I stripped back some of the wire and reconnected the transformer. Being a woman without any electrical experience, I was happy as the alarm chirped when I plugged the transformer into the electrical outlet. Problem is that the "Trouble" light is still lit. Will this go away as the battery recharges or will I need to replace the battery? If I need to replace the battery, will I need to re-program? That seems scary.

Old 11-30-09, 06:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless the power was off for a very long time, the odds are that all you need to do is reset the clock (Press *2 and look in your user manual). The battery will recharge unless it's very old.

The programming is in non-volatile memory, an eeprom. The programming stays put if the power is removed for a decade.

Old 12-02-09, 09:25 AM
Working now

Thanks! It worked like a charm. Saved me a lot of $$$ on a service call.