alarm transformer voltage

Old 08-18-09, 08:31 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a DSC PC 1555MX panel and a RF5501-433 keypad. Lately the keypad started beeping and the trouble light stays on. The problem sometimes goes away by itself and then comes back. Entering *2 yields a trouble code of 1. I disconnected the battery and measured around 13.5 volts across its terminals. If I leave the battery connected (with the a/c power still on) I measure 13.74 volts across the battery. Is it possible that the transformer is the problem? It is rated 16.5 V ac, 40 VA. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-18-09, 09:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 261 Upvotes on 240 Posts
Measure the battery under load (with AC power disconnected).

Old 08-19-09, 02:49 PM
T

With the battery connected to its leads, I took 3 voltage measurements across it and got the following:

With the transformer plugged in and powered up I got 13.71 V

With the transformer plugged in but powered down I got 13.37 V

With the transformer unplugged I got 13.35 V

Old 08-19-09, 06:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Your battery is good; if you have 16-17VAC from the transformer, it's good.

When you press *2 and got the 1, did you press 1 again? That first indicator actually covers more than just battery.
(Refer to the trouble display in the installer manual, not the user manual. For whatever reason, DSC truncates the user manual trouble chart) If the trouble still indicates battery, try this: Power down the system fully; connect the battery, first, then restore AC power. You will need to set the clock, but that _should_ clear the battery trouble. If not, then the panel's battery test circuit is damaged, and there is no fix beyond replacing the motherboard.

Old 08-20-09, 08:21 AM
T
The transformer puts out 17.87 volts.

Yes, pressing 1 after *2 makes the keypad sound 3 quick beeps. The number 1 remains on the display and the trouble light stays lit.

I fully powered down the system as you suggested. After reconnecting the battery and then the AC power, I reentered the time and date. All was good for several minutes. Then the keypad beeped and the trouble light lit up again. Pressing *2 then 1 yields the same results as above.

Is it possible to purchase only the motherboard and would it be cheaper than purchasing a new system?

Thanks for your time and effort. You have been very helpful.

Old 08-20-09, 10:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You can replace the board with a PC1616 or even a PC1832. It should pop right into the existing board mounts.

Old 08-21-09, 06:54 AM
T
Now I know why you suggest those two options; the 1555MX is impossible to find.

Anyway, you have been a great help. Thank you very much.

Old 08-21-09, 05:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
That's right, the PC1555 has been discontinued for a few years, now...

Old 09-21-09, 07:14 PM
L
Originally Posted by tbvela1 View Post
I have a DSC PC 1555MX panel and a RF5501-433 keypad. Lately the keypad started beeping and the trouble light stays on. The problem sometimes goes away by itself and then comes back. Entering *2 yields a trouble code of 1. I disconnected the battery and measured around 13.5 volts across its terminals. If I leave the battery connected (with the a/c power still on) I measure 13.74 volts across the battery. Is it possible that the transformer is the problem? It is rated 16.5 V ac, 40 VA. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Originally Posted by MrRonFL View Post
Measure the battery under load (with AC power disconnected).
i also have this problem the trouble light is on and at times the pad will start to beep if i hit exit and chime it goes away but when you open a door you get the beeping that a door is opening which is annoying i pressed *2 and 1 comes up on the pad what is this ? mean the pad is dsc 433 power series please pm me or send response to (Please, no email addresses on open forums, it attracts spambots...)

Last edited by MrRonFL; 09-21-09 at 08:11 PM. Reason: removal of email address
Old 09-21-09, 08:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
99% of the time it means that the system needs a new backup battery (the one in the metal box with the motherboard)

Don't forget you test the battery connected to the system but with the AC power disconnected. That's what a _load_ test means.

Old 09-22-09, 03:29 PM
L
99% of the time it means that the system needs a new backup battery (the one in the metal box with the motherboard)

Don't forget you test the battery connected to the system but with the AC power disconnected. That's what a _load_ test means.
ok so what do the batterys run about $ ?
where is a good place to get ? do i really need to replace ?
it has spade connectors
i dont have a voltage meter
will this cause the pad to beep ? low battery

Old 09-22-09, 08:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
12v 5ah sealed acid batteries run between 18-30 dollars, give or take a bit, and dependent on where you buy them. The best place to buy them is from a local battery distributor like Interstate or Delco, or a local alarm dealer, Radio Shack, etc. (Mostly to avoid the shipping and hazmat charges).

Otherwise, buy them where you like the price. Yes, you need the battery. There is no way to turn off the battery test mechanism on a PC1555.

Without a meter, basically you are guessing. But the battery test mechanism in the system is pretty accurate, generally.

Old 09-23-09, 08:52 AM
L
12v 5ah sealed acid batteries run between 18-30 dollars, give or take a bit, and dependent on where you buy them. The best place to buy them is from a local battery distributor like Interstate or Delco, or a local alarm dealer, Radio Shack, etc. (Mostly to avoid the shipping and hazmat charges).

Otherwise, buy them where you like the price. Yes, you need the battery. There is no way to turn off the battery test mechanism on a PC1555.

Without a meter, basically you are guessing. But the battery test mechanism in the system is pretty accurate, generally.
ok great thanks for the help if you you don't hear back from me all is well if not i'll be back

Old 09-24-09, 10:57 AM
L
[QUOTE=MrRonFL;1623798]12v 5ah sealed acid batteries run between 18-30 dollars, give or take a bit, and dependent on where you buy them. The best place to buy them is from a local battery distributor like Interstate or Delco, or a local alarm dealer, Radio Shack, etc. (Mostly to avoid the shipping and hazmat charges).

Without a meter, basically you are guessing. But the battery test mechanism in the system is pretty accurate, generally

ok got a new battery today checked the old one it was @ 9.33 volts.. now is there a certain way to put the new battery in

or just plug it in or do i unplug the ac power and then install the battey then plug in the ac power and then re-set the time

Old 09-24-09, 05:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Unplug the old battery, plug in the new battery. It may take as much as 24 hours for the system to recognize the new battery (the battery test runs at a random time, depending on when the system was last powered up, cold).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: