Options for cell only non-monitored alarm system

Old 09-07-09, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Options for cell only non-monitored alarm system

I have been doing research regarding alarms and looking through this site and haven't been able to find much information regarding alarm systems that can be setup with cell/gsm connections to phone or text programmed numbers or even use my internet connection.

I thought the GE Simon XT with the cell module might be able to do this but I haven't found any information to confirm it.

I don't have a land line and don't plan to get one and wire my house for it just for this. It seems security systems are quite behind the times. Does anyone know of any systems that might meet my needs? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-09, 01:40 PM
I just found an example of what I think I'm looking for. I've never heard of this company though, so I have no idea if it's any good.

Visonic Powermax Pro

Old 09-07-09, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by jertapper View Post
I have been doing research regarding alarms and looking through this site and haven't been able to find much information regarding alarm systems that can be setup with cell/gsm connections to phone or text programmed numbers or even use my internet connection.

I thought the GE Simon XT with the cell module might be able to do this but I haven't found any information to confirm it.

I don't have a land line and don't plan to get one and wire my house for it just for this. It seems security systems are quite behind the times. Does anyone know of any systems that might meet my needs? Thanks.
Yes the Simon XT with the cell unit will do it via Alarm.Com and you'll soon have another option other than Alarm.Com called "Interactive Services"...

Old 09-07-09, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by GEGUY View Post
Yes the Simon XT with the cell unit will do it via Alarm.Com and you'll soon have another option other than Alarm.Com called "Interactive Services"...
So you would then deal with alarm.com and pay monthly or enter into a contract arrangement with them? I tried to find out via their site but they do not give out any useful information.

Old 05-17-11, 08:42 PM
Hello I would like to have suggestions on home security systems non monitoed I live alone and I cannot afford a monthly fee. I have good neighbors and family they are here most of the time but I just want to add this to my house. Thanks Claudine

Old 05-18-11, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by jertapper View Post
So you would then deal with alarm.com and pay monthly or enter into a contract arrangement with them? I tried to find out via their site but they do not give out any useful information.
Alarm.com would have their nearest service provider contact you in regards to setting up their service. I also don't have a landline when we built our home in 2007. We actually built in with Alarm.com in mind. We pay $37/month, billed quarterly... no contract... we own all equipment (Concord 4). I suggest getting the keyfobs, as it's easy to walk up to your home and "boop-boop" disarm it. I've also set and disarmed from my cellphone and iPod touch through the Alarm.com interface. Extremely pleased. Hope this helps a little bit. Ask if you have any additional questions.

Old 05-19-11, 04:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 33 Posts
With few exceptions, all alarms will work "local" without monitoring. Very few are designed to call a cell or landline phone directly; in general you either trick the alarm into thinking it's calling a "pager", or there is sometimes a "residential dial" mode.

It all depends on brand and model.

The alarm industry changes very slowly. Remember, any significant change in an alarm system has to be vetted by UL for the manufacturers and installers liability to cover it; so changes tend to be incremental.