NX-4 Installer Code unknown

Old 09-13-09, 02:36 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
NX-4 Installer Code unknown

Hi,
I would like some advice please. I know the master code for my alarm but not the installer code, and the system is ringing up a monitoring station several times on some nights, we have discovered (through excessive phone bills). I'd like to change the settings to call a mobile instead (if only to see why it is calling) and then probably switch off some or all of the notifications. Unfortunately the installer code is not the default, and not known to us. There are no identifying marks on the panels to say who did the install either.

I think my options are

1) Power down, reset to the defaults and start again - I am confident I can do that, our requirements are not complicated
2) Find an NX586 of some description and use it to set the installer code
3) Call someone in to do one of the above

Are there any other options that would allow me to change the settings concerning phone notifications? Ideally, I would like to be able to make further changes as and when required, which really means I'd like to reset the installer code.

Would setting the installer code on its own allow the existing configuration to be retained? Am I right in thinking this is possible with the NX586, the corresponding software and knowledge of the master code? I think this is probably the best option, as I can sell the NX586 on and wouldn't have to do the entire setup again, as I would if I powered down completely.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-13-09, 06:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
The only way to get into the programming to change the installer code is using an NX-586 or NX-588 to direct connect in. The NX panels don't have a hardware default.

Old 09-13-09, 07:18 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply! So you are saying that powering off the NX-4 doesn't lose the settings? Ouch. They are pretty much bricked if you don't know any codes then, and don't have the direct connect route available?

Can you confirm that using an NX-586E will allow me to pull down the complete config to the PC, change just the installer code (and maybe the phone notifications), and upload it over the top? Before I go ahead and get one shipped out to me...

Thanks again!

Tim

Old 09-13-09, 01:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Basically, all modern alarm systems store their settings in an eeprom. You could turn off power til mid-century and they will not go away.

Yes, as long as the original installer did not change the downloader code (rarely done in my experience), the direct connect will go right in, and you will be able to read the entire program, including user and installer codes and be able to change just what you need.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: