home security system advise

Old 09-23-09, 10:05 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
home security system advise

Hello,
I am considering getting a home security system but need some advise. I like the idea of a monitored system but can't really afford/justify spending 35-45 dollars per month with ADT or Brinks.

Are there any other good reputable companies that provide alarms and monitoring for less? Say 20 per month or lower?

If not what would you recommend as an affordable self installed home non-monitored unit? If motion detectors are present I need ones that are pet safe. I also like the idea of arming/disarming the alarm with a remote control like for your car.

Any other general advise about home security systems is also appreciated because i have minimal experiance/knowledge i this area.

PS I do not have home phone service but do have DSL internet and use magicjack voip and my cell phone. If that makes a difference in which system I could use
thanks

Last edited by newguy08; 09-23-09 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-09, 05:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 85 Posts
I'd say start by reading the archived posts on forums like this one. That way you can get a better idea of the plusses and minuses of the most common system models. Go to the manufacturer's sites for the major brands like Honeywell/Ademco; DSC, GE/ITI/Networx, etc. Compare the systems feature and options head to head.

Old 09-26-09, 10:57 AM
A
Ask around your area about who to use. Yes ADT/Brinks charge through the roof and those $ look to be for a normal phone line which you do not have.

The monthly cost will increase at ADT, Brinks, or anyone when you install something else to replace your phone line, but in some cases will be a better interface.

Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples!

Old 09-28-09, 03:15 PM
M
I would suggest Alarm.com

Alarm.com - 100% Wireless Security Systems for Homes & Businesses

Since you don't have a regular phone line, and want the convenience of a keyfob to arm/disarm. I do pay $37 a month, billed quarterly, but the entire system is wireless... doesn't even touch my cable line. My wife and I can arm/disarm from our cellphones, a computer, our keyfobs or the keypads. Any trouble, a text is sent our way to the cellphones. The $37 includes monitoring, and we have all doors, windows, smoke detectors and motion sensors monitored. I also own my system, and have the installer and master codes, unlike Brinks/ADT which will tie you into their proprietary systems.

Possibly something to think about?

Old 09-29-09, 03:33 PM
T
Check with your insurance provider. You should get a discount for having a monitored alarm. This may be the difference of your monitoring fee. I'm personally not a fan of national brand alarm companies. You won't get the service of a local company. If you can find someone local who is respectable and at a reasonable fee, then I would consider it.