FBII XL-2 - changing phone number

Old 09-27-09, 09:35 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
FBII XL-2 - changing phone number

Hi, We have 2 land phone lines in our house. Our FBII XL-2 is set to use our primary line to call the alarm monitoring company and is also the line that they use to call back. We are going to switch the primary line to VOIP. Because, I am concern with the reliability of the E911, I want to switch our alarm system to use our secondary line (which we will keep as a land line) for reporting and receiving alarm calls.

1. Is this something I can do myself? Can you give me instructions on how to do this?
2. My installer changed the default installer code. How can I find out what it is?
3. Do I have to stay with my installer for my alarm monitoring?

Thanks.

Old 09-27-09, 02:52 PM
This is not changed in the programming, but in the telco wiring.
You will have to find where the alarm line comes from the alarm panel to the phone demarc and switch it over to line 2.
You sould see in the demarc a 2 pair wire with the red and green wire tied to the line 1 post and the Black and yellow wires connected to all of the red and green wires.
Move the red and green pair (from the alarm panel) to the Line 2 posts and connect the yellow and black wires to the wires that were on the post. If you plan to backfeed the voip, then make sure all red and green pairs (except alarm feed) are either connected together or bound to the Line 1 posts.

When finished send a test to the CS and verify line seizure.

Old 09-28-09, 11:11 AM
N
Thanks for the info. I will check this out in the weekend.

What about the installer code? Is there a way to find out what it is? Also, do I have to stay with the installer for the monitoring service? Thanks.

Old 09-28-09, 11:47 AM
The default installer code should be 4600. If it has been changed, then, I am not sure of a back door. If the code has not been changed another CS should be able to take it over, many would want you to upgrade, though.

Old 09-28-09, 03:03 PM
N
I tried 4600 before and it didn't work. I'll try asking for the code again and see if they will respond. The only time I get a call back is if I ask for service...terrible!

Old 09-28-09, 03:33 PM
Alarm companies typically will not give out their installer code. This is a liability issue, imagine what could happen if you inadvertantly made a programming change that rendered the system unable to send an emergecy signal. If you want to have a DIY security system, then replace your panel and keypads and work with a Central Station that is DIY friendly.

Old 09-28-09, 05:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Basically, the only way around the installer code is to default the system. Even then, the download software has the means to prevent the installer code from defaulting.

What you _can_ do is have them change the installer code to one of your choice, that way _their_ proprietary code has no issue in the mix, and you can offer to waiver their liability issues. It will cost you the price of a service call, but then your system will be under your control.

Old 09-30-09, 08:51 AM
N
I will try it and see if they are willing to do this. Thanks kcxj and MrRonFL for your help. I will report back after attempting to switch the phone line and talking to the installer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: