Bosch Hardwire To Simon XT Help

Old 10-22-09, 03:58 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bosch Hardwire To Simon XT Help

Greetings, first post

I just moved into a house that has a hardwired Bosch alarm system. Due to many reasons (no codes from previous owners, no help unless I buy monitoring, features) I want to get the Simon XT. My question is in two parts:

1. Current Sensors - The Bosch system has push button (or a ball) sensors installed on every door and two motion detectors. It is also hooked to electrical smoke detectors (I assume to call someone when they go off? Don't care about that). Can I use those sensors, and wire them into the GE NX650 sensor? If so, would I locate all the GE sensors where the Bosch control box is (downstairs utility room)? Any tips on how to decipher the Bosch wiring related to the sensors? I assume a continuity tester would be used to determine what wire goes to what door?

2. Molding - If I can't use the built in sensors, I need some tips for decorative molding. I've got 3 French Doors that don't look like they pose a sensor mounting problem, but my other 5 doors have really thick molding around them. If I mounted the magnet on the door, the sensor would be about 3/4" "out" or "above" (hard to explain, they would be next to each other but one part would be further into the room...like putting both hands next to each other and then moving one toward your face) and not make contact. Any tips (a small wood block glued to the door?).

Thank you,

Norman

Old 10-22-09, 09:27 AM
G
You could wire 2 of the ball sensors directly to the Simon XT (it'll handle 2 hardwire zones). The rest of the ball sensors can be wired into the NX-650's. Problem with the motions is that they are 4 wire and can't be wired into the wireless devices (no power and ground terminals). Same deal with the smokes, can't wire them into the wireless sensors.

Sounds like you might be able to use "spacers" on the problem doors to get the sensors to line up...

Old 10-22-09, 11:45 AM
In my opinion, you would be best suited for a hardwired system. Replace your current Bosch panel with a DIY friendly unit (GE Concord 4, Honeywell Vista 20P, etc.). Replace your Keypad(s) with hardwired units. The Simon XT has it's place, but with a hardwired system already installed, then it is not the best fit.

Old 10-26-09, 04:20 AM
N
Thanks for the help guys, I'll look into both of those options.

P

Old 10-28-09, 06:36 AM
N
Thanks again. I looked at the Concord 4 and like the Hybrid Wired/Wireless. On all the sites I looked at, it said that it is *not* a DIY friendly system. I assume that is because they're talking about wiring each access point with sensors...since mine are already installed, I should be good to go? I notice there are 3 different types of keypads...2 are around $80, the other is around $200. Will the less expensive pads still allow me to fully program the unit? What does the $200 keypad do? I'd search, but I get a database error when I try.

Thanks,

NN

Old 10-28-09, 08:23 AM
G
As far as "traditional" security systems go, this is about as DIY friendly as it gets...you will be good to go as far as your existing hardwire sensors. Count up how many you have coming back to where the panel will be mounted. You have 8 hardwire zones on the motherboard to play with. There are expansion options if you need more than that. As far as keypads go, you will be able to program everything with an Alphanumeric keypad. Don't use the Fixed English type (there are 2 of these). The keypad at about $200 bucks is probably the 2X20 alpha keypad, the others are 2X16 alpha and they are both fully programmable...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: