Downloader vs. Alpha Keypad

Old 01-26-10, 06:24 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Downloader vs. Alpha Keypad

I have an Ademco Vista 20 alarm panel which was installed in the house I moved into, and it seems to work perfectly fine. I'd like to mess with the zone programming a little bit, but my system only has fixed-word keypads. I've been able to do some basic programming with the fixed-word (such as removing the info for the previous monitoring center), but an alpha keypad is required to enter the interactive zone programming. I've read the installer manual (which the previous installer was kind enough to leave behind), and have learned that programming can also be done via a remote link to a PC running Ademco's Compass software. Is it possible to connect to the system using my home PC? Or would it be more cost effective for me to suck it up and buy an alpha keypad (I can get one on Amazon for around $80)?

Old 01-26-10, 08:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Depending on which model of the Vista 20 you have (the suffix at the end of the model number is _important_), you need either the PClink device, or the specific CIA modem that the software requires to connect.

In addition, the software has it's own learning curve.

For a DIY, I say get the keypad. It doesn't even have to be a new one, or left permanently in the system (I've used old beater keypads from de-installed systems for years to service ademco clones...)

Old 01-26-10, 09:18 PM
B
It's an older 90's version of the Vista 20. I'm pretty sure it's the SE version.

Old 01-27-10, 04:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Get the keypad. Really, the software is intended for installers who setup multiple similar systems. There's really no advantage for a DIY trying to configure a single system.

Old 01-27-10, 09:17 PM
B
You have a good point there. Plus, I can get an old alpha keypad on eBay for 30 bucks, while to use the software I'd need a license, plus all of the modems/cables/etc. It's probably more expensive then buying a brand NEW alpha keypad!

Old 01-28-10, 08:00 PM
B
Thanks for all your help btw, MrRonFL. It's really nice that you take time out of your life to provide reliable help and expertise to people on here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: