Safewatch Pro 3000EN

Old 02-12-10, 06:46 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Safewatch Pro 3000EN

I have the above system from ADT. We dropped the monitoring some time ago & simply don't use it & it isn't hooked up to a phone line.

Twice now, perhaps once a month the alarm has sounded while we are at home after being triggerd by the smoke detector. Simply entering the code + off stops the alarm.

We have other stand alone smoke detectors & I didn't want this thing going off when we aren't home or worse in the middle of the night. My gut reaction after the second suprise alarm was to pull the power from the battery & AC. Once inside the case, I thought why not pull the wires off the smoke detector that is causing false alarms. With small children, we like the chime that sounds should one of them try to slip out.

All is well again except for a pesky error message on the keypad prompting to check zone 01 Fire since the detector is disconnected.

Is there an easy way to delete that zone from the programming?

I did some searching on this forum and found that my ADT unit is most likely like the honeywell ademco vista 20p and have located a manual but it had far too much info to try to digest.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-10, 08:35 PM
C
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by afob3 View Post
I have the above system from ADT. We dropped the monitoring some time ago & simply don't use it & it isn't hooked up to a phone line.

Twice now, perhaps once a month the alarm has sounded while we are at home after being triggerd by the smoke detector. Simply entering the code + off stops the alarm.

We have other stand alone smoke detectors & I didn't want this thing going off when we aren't home or worse in the middle of the night. My gut reaction after the second suprise alarm was to pull the power from the battery & AC. Once inside the case, I thought why not pull the wires off the smoke detector that is causing false alarms. With small children, we like the chime that sounds should one of them try to slip out.

All is well again except for a pesky error message on the keypad prompting to check zone 01 Fire since the detector is disconnected.

Is there an easy way to delete that zone from the programming?

I did some searching on this forum and found that my ADT unit is most likely like the honeywell ademco vista 20p and have located a manual but it had far too much info to try to digest.
A few questions:
(1) Do you have an Alphanumeric keypad that names your zones, (e.g., "Fault zone 03 Front Door) as opposed to fixed-English keypads that say, e.g., "Fault Zone 03"? You need a 6160 Alphanumeric keypad to program a Vista 20P.
(2) How old is your system? If it's not too old, the smoke sensor might just need cleaning. This can be done with the air-jet cannisters you buy to clean computer keyboards, available in most food, drug, or office supply stores.
The smokes can be cleaned just by blowing an air jet into the air flow vents, but I personally like to open them up and blow out the black chamber inside--although, not knowing what model you have, I wouldn't try to force anything open. But you might consider trying that.

If cleaning it doesn't work, have you considered buying a replacement? The reason I'm pushing keeping the smoke in the system is that (1) Alarm industry smokes tend to be more reliable than most builder-installed smokes. (2) In the event of a real fire, it's helpful if your outside siren is drawing attention to your house.

However, if you're set on deleting the fire zone from your system, post back if you have a 6160 keypad and one of us can walk you through it. It's not hard to delete a zone.

Alternately, you can find the End-of-Line Resistor and put it across the zone 1 terminals in the control box. If you have more than one smoke sensor, the EOLR should be in the last one in the zone 1 loop, usually the one fartherest away from the control. Or if you can't find it easily, any 2 K Ohm (2000 Ohms) resistor from Radio Shack will do.

Old 02-12-10, 08:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 90 Posts
ChosunOne has posted good advice. However if you are determined to disconnect the smoke, simply take the wires off of the zone terminals at the motherboard and replace them with a 2000 ohm resistor. No programming needed. Then enter your code + 1 twice to clear the system trouble generated by breaking the circuit.

Old 02-13-10, 06:49 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies....

I don't have the alpha numeric keypad. I was afraid that would be a problem based on what I had read in other posts online.

The system is 4 years old this month and only has one smoke detector. I imagine a good cleaning may be all it needs since the false alarms have been so random and far apart. I will run that idea past the 'boss'. What would a good replacment cost and where could I get one locally if I just want to replace it?

It is a 2 wire model FSA 210BST. Some quick googling suggests it is available online for just under $40.00. I would prefer to buy locally though. I found the 2k resistor on the back as well.

Does radio shack even still carry resistors and other small electronic parts? I haven't been in one in so long that I all I have seen walking past in the mall is a cell phone store.

Old 02-13-10, 09:52 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 90 Posts
For this purpose, a simple mechanical disable doesn't require any programming. Most Radio shacks still have resistors, but they hide them in drawers in the back corner of most stores.

The most favored 2 wire smoke these days is the system sensor 2W-B.

Conventional Detection