ITI Commander 2000 Total reset help..

Old 02-14-10, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ITI Commander 2000 Total reset help..

HELP,

Can anyone help, I have old ITI Commander 2000 (ADT) (GE), I need to do a total system reset. I do not have any of the codes to program this system.

I do not see in the install manual or the user manual any way to reset everything. The manual states that I need to be in the programing mode to do a reset, but I need access codes to do that. I tried the defaults but they do not work.

Is there any way to wipe the system clear and do a complete reset???

Anyone, please help....

Thanks,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-10, 07:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 36 Posts
It's been awhile since I handled one of these, but as far as I can recall, there's no hardware default. There may be a programming back door, but it's not in my notes anywhere.

Old 02-15-10, 04:51 AM
Unhappy ??

Thanks MrRonFL,

Where does it store the data, is there memory that needs battery, i.e. a small hidden battery??

I have the main batteries out and power disconnected, with no change.
There has got to be a way to reset this thing if the log-in passwords get screwed up....

Old 02-15-10, 05:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The information is in an eeprom (non-volatile memory) you could leave the power off forever, practically.

This is one of the early ITI panels that's an ancestor of the current simons and concords. The only "back door" is the CS-4000 software, (that I know of).

The GE Guy might know of a bypass...

Old 02-15-10, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by MrRonFL View Post
The information is in an eeprom (non-volatile memory) you could leave the power off forever, practically.

This is one of the early ITI panels that's an ancestor of the current simons and concords. The only "back door" is the CS-4000 software, (that I know of).

The GE Guy might know of a bypass...
Now I'm gonna have to dig a manual out of the archives! You theoretically could use the Toolbox Download software as well...

OK, just checked, you must be in programming to do this. Back in the day, this was an ITI dealer panel only. As in, ITI only sold it to their dealers. So...they made these things "back door" proof to protect these dealers.

Old 02-15-10, 01:29 PM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrotz View Post
HELP,

Can anyone help, I have old ITI Commander 2000 (ADT) (GE), I need to do a total system reset. I do not have any of the codes to program this system.

I do not see in the install manual or the user manual any way to reset everything. The manual states that I need to be in the programing mode to do a reset, but I need access codes to do that. I tried the defaults but they do not work.

Is there any way to wipe the system clear and do a complete reset???

Anyone, please help....

Thanks,
Dave
This may or may not help because my information is incomplete.....but back over 12 years ago I worked for a small company who did subcontract service for ADT. I remember that during that time I learned that ADT (often?Always? Sometimes?) based their program/dealer codes of control panels on the monitoring account of a particular account.

Unfortunately, my memory isn't good enough to call up the details and notes I made are long lost or buried in all my archival junk; but if I remember correctly, the progarm code came from a simple transposition or substitution of one digit in the 4-digit Central station account number of the account. I seem to remember (and I reiterate my memory of that far back isn't reliable) that it was something like substituting a [1] for the first or last digit, or perhaps switching the first or last digits; something that simple. Something that might make a lot of experimenting worthwhile if you had the C/S account number to start with.

Of course, this is only helpful if you have paperwork around with the old ADT C/S (Central Station) account number-- that's the System Account Number, the four-digit number your C/P called and reported alarms and conditions with-- not the accounting number for the bean-counters to bill you with. If you can find that, it _might_ be possible to derive your program code.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but I posted hoping somebody else on here might know something more about this; or is in the loop with enough people to start asking around. It might even be that this transposition of digits was only in the Washing DC area, but it was in use here back in the 90's when the Commander 2000 was a new panel; so I thought it was worth bringing up.

Old 02-15-10, 02:08 PM
Unhappy I'm screwed???

Thanks for the responses.

Don't have any of the account info. I did try different default codes, 4321, 1234 etc, none seem to work.

Wow I can't believe they made a system such that if you screwed-up the codes, you had to toss out the hardware....

What is the CS 4000 software and how would I run it on
this system?

I have an old key chain control, will it retain its memory if the battery has been dead a long time?

Thanks again,
Dave

Old 02-15-10, 02:57 PM
Looks that way.

Thanks for the responses.

Don't have any of the account info. I did try different default codes, 4321, 1234 etc, none seem to work.

Wow I can't believe they made a system such that if you screwed-up the codes, you had to toss out the hardware....
Believe it. ITI sold to dealers, and a lot of dealers see locking you out of "your" system as a way of keeping your account.

What is the CS 4000 software and how would I run it on
this system?
The CS 4000 software is the software in the CS 4000 Central Station Reciever/Programmer. Another lock-in. ITI control panels back in that day did not send signals compatible with other kinds of CS recievers. If I remember correctly, a dealer had to buy the CS 4000 reciever for ITI to count him as a dealer that they'd do business with. I don't remember the price, but you don't want to know anyway. A whole new system is cheaper by an order of magnitude.

You might inquire further from the GE Guy about Toolbox Download. I don't know anything about that.

I have an old key chain control, will it retain its memory if the battery has been dead a long time?

Thanks again,
Dave
The simple answer is yes. The accurate answer is that key fobs and sensor "programming" was done at the factory--hardware or firmware, their variables were made permanent at manufacture. Their signals were "Learn-Mode", meaning that the control panels "learn" which devices are in their system by receiving signals from the sensors while the CPs are in the learn-sensor part of program mode. In other words, all programming is done in the panel.

The one spot of good news here is that contempory GE(ITI) Controls are still compatible with all your sensors and key fobs, so you won't have to buy a whole new system if you decide it's worth the price of a new panel & keypad.

If you do, I strongly recommend that you spring for a real alarm panel & Keypad, not the placebo all-in-one CP/Keypad that the C-2000 was (and the current Simon is). Or at the very least, find out in this forum how to hide the all-in-one and use your keyfob so your Control isn't quite so defeatable.

Old 02-15-10, 04:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, most of your wireless devices should be compatible with new generation hardware (GE/ITI didn't mess with their wireless very much). I _think_ there are a couple of wireless smokes and possibly motions that were not compatible.

I know it seems like a truckload of manure, but, you have to remember that in the early days of security system installs, the hardware was as likely to be leased instead of owned by the end-user. The legacy of this is the fact the even modern panels retain the capability for dealer lockout/shutdown.

Old 02-15-10, 06:48 PM
Red face Oh well, looks like I'm screwed....

Thanks again for everyone's input and help.

Just another reason I will not sign a 5yr contract with any of these alarm companies.

I'm going to try a few more codes before I rip it off the wall.

I like the idea of hiding the system, this one is right in the open, and one good shot with a hammer and it would be all over for this alarm. Hey! I may try that before I rip it off the wall.

Old 02-15-10, 10:49 PM

Just another reason I will not sign a 5yr contract with any of these alarm companies.

I like the idea of hiding the system, this one is right in the open, and one good shot with a hammer and it would be all over for this alarm. Hey! I may try that before I rip it off the wall.
dtrotz, if you haven't hammered or ripped your CP off the wall yet, I came across this while I was browsing. I wasn't even looking for it, I was looking for something else.
I can't tell you if this really works but the guy who posted this in another forum claims to be a long-time GE/ITI tech so I'm posting it here just in case it might work.

Found in another forum:
For anyone browsing these entries with a similar problem with a Commander 2000, there is a way to clear the memory in these panels. If there was a dealer code programmed into the panel different from the installer code, the system will clear everything except the dealer code and whatever receiver numbers they programmed in. If they are the same however, all memory will be reset to factory defaults.

To clear the memory, loosen the two screws on the bottom of the control until the panel
beeps.
Press and hold the "POLICE" buttons until panel beeps;
Press and hold the " Auxillary" buttons. Panel beeps and announces "Memory Good-bye", and depending on software version, will announce System type and number of available sensors.
At this time, the installer code should be 4-3-2-1 again, and you will have to begin re-programming all your sensors, touchpads, etc. again.
Hope this gets you started on your way to recovering your system. It's worth a try. If a previous monitoring company turned on the Phone Lock and the Central Station Lock features in this panel with their CS4000 receiver, then I would just send this control to the landfill and purchase another control that would be compatable with your existing sensors.

Be sure to post back and let us know if this works. But if you've already destroyed the old panel, do NOT post back if you're going to shoot yourself.

ChosunOne

Old 02-15-10, 10:58 PM
Hold it a sec....!!! :eek:

dtrotz, if you haven't hammered or ripped your CP off the wall yet, I came across this while I was browsing. I wasn't even looking for it, I was looking for something else.
I can't tell you if this really works but the guy who posted this in another forum claims to be a long-time GE/ITI tech so I'm posting it here just in case it might work.

Found in another forum:
For anyone browsing these entries with a similar problem with a Commander 2000, there is a way to clear the memory in these panels. If there was a dealer code programmed into the panel different from the installer code, the system will clear everything except the dealer code and whatever receiver numbers they programmed in. If they are the same however, all memory will be reset to factory defaults.

To clear the memory, loosen the two screws on the bottom of the control until the panel
beeps.
Press and hold the "POLICE" buttons until panel beeps;
Press and hold the " Auxillary" buttons. Panel beeps and announces "Memory Good-bye", and depending on software version, will announce System type and number of available sensors.
At this time, the installer code should be 4-3-2-1 again, and you will have to begin re-programming all your sensors, touchpads, etc. again.
Hope this gets you started on your way to recovering your system. It's worth a try. If a previous monitoring company turned on the Phone Lock and the Central Station Lock features in this panel with their CS4000 receiver, then I would just send this control to the landfill and purchase another control that would be compatable with your existing sensors.

Be sure to post back and let us know if this works. But if you've already destroyed the old panel, do NOT post back if you're going to shoot yourself.

ChosunOne

Old 02-16-10, 03:59 AM
Angry Landfill.....

Thanks for the great tip,

However...

I think the line just before this reads: " while in the programing mode"
But I tried it again anyway...no luck

Here comes the hammer, GREAT programing tool! It's easy, quick and you get results!

May try it on my computer next...

Old 02-16-10, 12:17 PM
Egads!!

I just looked over the TOA again and realized I'm out of integrity, re-posting from another forum with linking the source.

The other fourum and post is here:
ITI Commander 2000 lost password reset

This other guy's problem looked just like yours; but his C2K probably wound up in a landfill too.

Sorry it didn't work out. It was worth a shot.

Old 02-17-10, 03:26 PM
Here comes the hammer, GREAT programing tool! It's easy, quick and you get results!
dtrotz, did you use that hammer yet? 'Cause here's another tip that doesn't cost anything to try.

In the thread, "PC1555 trouble codes",
Originally Posted by canooten View Post
(SNIPPED)
I thought I was screwed and would have to do a full reset...the "usual" 5555, 1555 etc default install codes did not work, but I found a webpage that said ADT usually uses 6321 as their default install and that got me in. From there I was able to reset the master code (and set the time/date from there), so I have everything I need to change programming.

Old 05-25-12, 09:11 PM
Former ITI Tech

Back in the day I used to work for I.T.I The pay really sucked, bad! They had a line written into their tech's employment contract with language that read something to the effect your pay couldn't go up more than 2% in a year. And they found ways to extract that 2%.

If I remember correctly, The panels they had in the early to mid 90's all had the ability to be reset.

Here's how the scheme would work;

After a tech becomes knowledgeable on certain panels they would be sent to a variety of cities around the U.S. to train ADT dealers or which ever company and bring them up to speed. What they wouldn't tell the techs up front is just how much traveling they would be doing. Many did three to four months of travel a year. The pay was so low you wouldn't believe it if I told you. So, the department manager took it upon himself to let the techs have time off when they asked him for it, no paperwork. Ok, that was fine, but three to four months travel in exchange for a day or two here and there? You could keep it. I even had an employment contract stating that my pay would be increased a certain number of times in the first year. After the second written timeline had passed and no raise I knew it was time to move on. And after seeing the language that said pay couldn't go up more than 2% in a year along with what my low wage was my time was over. Sometimes it's just better to move on and be done with the mess.

The work was ok, the products were solid, at least in their time.

If someone has questions about programming I'll see if I can help. Let me know the system, and what your question is and please be patient. A day or so and I should have an answer for you.

Good luck.

Old 05-29-12, 11:32 AM
Hey Hindsight,
You sound like the guy that I need to "talk" to. I recently lost my job so I am looking to save some money. I just bought and installed a wireless VoIP device, (similar to MagicJack) ported my old phone number, and it is working well. The one main difference, up till now, is that I now need to enter the area code for all outgoing calls (even when calling the same area code that I am in).
Last night my ITI Commander 2000 started scrolling the status lights and reported "Phone Failure - Trouble Memory". When I called Tech Support for netTALK and said that I was experiencing trouble with my home security system - they immediately hung up (after holding for 45 minutes).
My question to you is - Can I disable the monthly phone test from attempting to dial out to test communication and still have the hardware function as normal. I do plan on cancelling the monitoring service and would like to have the system hardware still work properly without being monitored.

Old 05-29-12, 08:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you have the installer code, then you can turn off the dialer or change the phone number to support 10 digit dialing.

Old 05-31-12, 01:29 PM
None of the suggestions that I have found here regarding installer or dealer codes, allow me to get into "programming" mode. The installer code would allow me to shut off #93 (auto-dialing) in the upper access codes and only a dealer code would allow me to change the phone number. Too bad none of the codes here grant me access into my system. This was an ADT installation in N.E. Pa. about 20 years ago.

Old 05-31-12, 02:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Run a websearch using the phrase "ADT installer code". It's fairly commonly known, but they fuss if this site posts it on these forums.

Old 05-31-12, 04:54 PM
Yes, I got that from the guy who said that his integrity was shot for posting links. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Old 09-11-12, 02:59 PM
Hindsight,
I sent you a PM today to ask for help with my ITI system.
Mundaily