Ademco 4110 add-on wireless

Old 03-07-10, 09:17 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ademco 4110 add-on wireless

I have an Ademco 4110 that now after the installation has been done (approx 2 yrs ago), the customer has decided they would like to add a couple wireless keyfobs. Can I add a 6150RF keypad and 5804 keyfobs or do I go to option B and replace the whole panel with RF receiver built-in?

What other information do I need to know before "just adding" the keypad and keyfobs?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-10, 05:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 90 Posts
The 4110 (in it's various flavors) is, at best, 10-12 years old and long out of production, and is not compatible (according to Honeywell) with the 5800 series wireless, or the 6160 class keypads.

Old 03-08-10, 06:19 AM
The 6150RF keypad *may* work. If you call Honeywell they will tell you the same thing. If there is no other need for wireless, then you could add on a Street Smart keyfob kit.

Old 03-08-10, 07:02 AM
C
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
The 6150RF KP *may* work if the panel is a 4110XM.

What about it, Spanky? Is this panel a 4110 or a 4110XM? 'Cause a 4110 isn't even wireless-compatible. The Street Smart (or similar) kits are the only way to add wireless to a 4110, but it needs a dedicated zone for arm/disarm. I assume the customer wants panic function as well as arm/disarm, so you'd need two zones; and in my experience the 6-zone panels tend to get maxed out at installation unless it's a high-rise apartment.

And just to be clear on this point, Ademco/Honeywell control panels don't have RF receivers built-in. Their current crop of panels are all _compatible_ with 5800-series RF recievers, but the receivers themselves are optional and separate units.

In your case, if the installation isn't large or hostile to wireless signals, the 6150RF would be the least expensive peripheral to add keyfobs to a Vista-10 control panel.

This reminds me of a call I went to back when the 5800 technology was new--guy wanted to add a portable keypad....to his 342R.

Old 03-08-10, 12:21 PM
S
Thanks Guys for the information. The panel may be a "XM" series, but it sounds like it doesn't matter as far as the wireless option is concerned. I will verify the customer's panel and make sure its not a Vista since it is only a couple years old. You assumed correctly that the panel is maxed out for zones (in fact they have motions doubled up). Does the Vista 15 with a 6150RF keypad need a zone for keyfob arming and disarming?This would be a great way to get an upsale and clean up another "so called alarm company's" mess up. Thank you for the help.

Old 03-08-10, 01:31 PM
C
If the panel was new a couple of years ago(and not an old second-hand model pulled out off dusty shelves), it's a Vista-something, at least a V-10 (6 hardwire zones) with plenty of room for wireless expansion and compatible with the 6150RF and 5804 keyfobs, which take one RF zone for each function: arming(1 zone), disarming ('nother zone) and panic ('nother). So yes, 3 RF zones for the functions most people want on keyfobs but the V-10 supports 16 RF zones so there's plenty of room.

Motions doubled up!?! **Cringes** I'd rather have every hardwire point in the house on a single zone and take entry/exit delays on my windows than double on my motions or glassbreaks!!

Old 03-11-10, 04:08 PM
S
Well, I took a short 70 mile drive to verify the system. The customer showed me a panel on the wall that looked like 4 garden hoses running into it. I carefully opened the door and found it is a 4110 "XM", (like you had assumed), plus the panel battery and a voice dialer which jumped out at me. The motions doubled up- was worse than I could have imagined. There were outside beams doubled up with inside motions. The wiring is 18 ga multi-conductors with no labels. Plus zone 3? is faulted and 10 motion detector LEDs were turned off, not to mention 4 outside beams (on a separate power supply). I wanted to share this road trip with you, so you could find a little humor in the install, and make installers realize how "need workmanship" makes the difference. I also learned money is not everything and let some other security company have some installs. Thanks for all your help and knowledge.

Old 03-11-10, 04:45 PM
C
LOL!! Yeah, I've come across a few of those in my time. That may have been installed two years ago, and the panel _may_ have been New In The Box at the time; but chances are it's a recycled pull from an upgrade somewhere.

Don't get me wrong: Nothing wrong with recycling panels as long as you're honest about it. The 4110XM was a nice little panel in its day, but this does NOT sound like the right application for it.

The old panel wasn't the issue. With the setup you described, there is _no way_that system won't be trouble-prone even with an upgraded panel and added RF. You were wise to give your competitors a break. (::Evil grin:

I feel for the customer, though.