Trying to reset code Prot one ademco 250pi

Old 03-10-10, 10:46 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trying to reset code Prot one ademco 250pi

Hi! I am trying to reset the code for the alarm at the house my husband and I just bought. We have the Ademco 250 PI, I think it's the Vista 10p version. We can get as far as finding out the old code, but then the alarm goes off when we try to enter a new one. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 03-10-10, 12:09 PM
C
Received 65 Upvotes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by tarasuebear View Post
Hi! I am trying to reset the code for the alarm at the house my husband and I just bought. We have the Ademco 250 PI, I think it's the Vista 10p version. We can get as far as finding out the old code, but then the alarm goes off when we try to enter a new one. Any ideas? Thanks!
First and foremost, DON'T ARM THE SYSTEM until you get the code thing straightened out!!!!!!!!!

Testing a code by arming and disarming is a Very Bad Idea!
Lots of Ademco systems will let you arm without knowing a user code to disarm, and if you can't disarm, the chances of being able _ever_ to use the system are Slim to None. Being armed blocks the system from going into programming to recover any code or change anything. Do NOT press any of the large buttons aside from the 12-digit keypad. One of them might be set for 1-button arming.

Now...with that warning, hopefully not too late:

From the FAQ
Retrieving Installer code:
Nearly all Ademco family (this includes First Alert, Security Link, and several ADT models) panels can retrieve the Installer code by disconnecting the battery, then the AC power. Wait a minute, then reconnect power in the opposite order.
Within 50 seconds, on any keypad press * + # at the same time. Unless the system has had an installer lockout feature activated, the panel should go into program mode. The details by system will vary, but the programming section number that shows on the display will be the location for the installer code (on _most_ panels this will be 20). Key in # and the location number (20), and the panel will read back the installer code one digit at a time.
The readout might be a little confusing because it displays in a 2-digit format. For instance, if the installer code is 4112, the display shows [04], then [01], then [01], then [02].

Exit program mode using *99.

The location will be 20. Just in case, unplug the phone line first (this is also the panic key combo, and if you blow the timing, often monitoring centers will still dispatch to the address of record for panics)

Once you have the installer code.

Back in run mode, not program mode:

Installer code + [8] + 02 + new code to set the new master code. Do not try to make installer and Master the same code. It won't take.

Test your new code (master, not installer) by entering [Code] + 1(disarm). The keypad should beep, indicating the system accepted the code. You can also toggle the chime feature off and on with the new code to test it. Do not test it by arming until you KNOW you have at least one working user code. Two would be even better.

Let me know if that works. If it doesn't, let me know where it hung up. If it does work, I'll have a recommendation for you. But first, let's get you that master code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: