Alarm Detectors

Old 04-17-10, 11:56 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Alarm Detectors

I am looking for a detector (not expensive) to protect a jalosie window that is part of a glass block window. I used to have a glass break detector near these windows but in one winter season it failed and latched into alarm which could not be reset. The detector was exposed to freezing temperatures which I think caused the failure.

Last edited by rjordan392; 04-18-10 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-18-10, 09:07 AM
C
Received 71 Upvotes on 64 Posts
Freezing temps above the arctic temperature range usually don't affect acoustic glass break sensors, unless you're talking about a wireless unit with an alkaline battery.

If this is a wireless sensor you're replacing, you need to tell us the make and model of your control panel; which I'd like to know anyway. There are still some old 6-volt control panels out there (ITI was the latest) that won't support the common hardwire glassbreak sensors, and I don't want to recommend a unit that's incompatible with your system.

Old 04-18-10, 09:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
If it's a hardwired system just go with a new hardwired glassbreak sensor. Any of the major brands will work just fine (it's really all the same basic tech).

If this is a space that is not climate controlled, but you still want it protected, you just have to accept the fact that once in a while, you will have a unit fail (How long did the previous one last?).

Old 04-18-10, 10:08 AM
R
I have a hardwired system. The control panel is an "Vista 4120EC" distributed by Ademco. It is a 12 volt system.
The previous sensor was designed to detect breaking glass not from vibration but from the sound or frequency created by breaking glass or sudden high pitched sounds. When I first installed it, I could test it by taking a hammer to a piece of iron pipe and striking it. But after one winter season, it latched into alarm and when I noticed it in the Spring, I tried to reset it by interupting the circuit and it would not reset. The reason I did not noticed it sooner is because I was not setting the alarm all the time during the winter. I do not understand why I did not pick up on this malfunction. The unit only had a two wire connection spliced into the detection circuit and used the detection circuit voltage to monitor and reset the sensor. I hope this helps.

Last edited by rjordan392; 04-18-10 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-18-10, 06:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, that's an old form of acoustic glass break sensor that used a piezo microphone and thus did not require a 12v power source. They were neither as sensitive, nor as discriminating as modern acoustic glass breaks.

Is the cable that goes to this device _only_ a 2 conductor, or is it a 4 conductor with only 2 of the conductors used?

If the latter, you can easily replace the old device with a modern one. Those piezo break sensors are simply no longer made.

Last edited by MrRonFL; 04-19-10 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-19-10, 02:41 AM
R
Thanks,
I'll look into the modern type of glass breaks.

Old 04-21-10, 06:40 AM
R
I ordered the Honeywell FG-730 glass break detector and installed it. I noticed then that there were a set of two conductor wires at the location of the last glass break sensor. I had forgotten that I installed it with a power connection and a detection connection. So that made it easier to install it. Now I am waiting on delivery of the FG-701 glass break simulator to test it.
I also notice on the specifications that its operating range is 32 degrees F to 120 F.
the other detector was exposed to temperatures in the 20 degree F range because I had a homemade storm window that covered the whole glass block plus jalousie window and it isolated the detector from the warm side of the room. Thus it was exposed to winter temperatures all the time.
I have decided to remove the homemade storm window and remove the clear plastic sheeting and use the frame for another purpose that will allow warm room air to reach the protected glass area.

Old 04-21-10, 04:46 PM
WOW-

a lot of installers dont even buy the testers.

we have a few around- but if your within spec- it will test correctly.

more so its used for windows with cutains / blinds and multiable windows in larger rooms to be certain the detector will pick ALL of them up.

Good choice on the FG series.

Old 04-22-10, 02:57 AM
R
Thanks,
The FG-730 has a flex sensor and audible sensor to cut down on false alarms. Both of these must work together in a set period of time for an alarm to take place.
The investment in the glass break simulator was necessary as the FG-730 does not have a self test feature. I wanted to make sure it worked as crime is increasing in my area.
The FG-730 tested as specified and I am pleased.

Old 04-22-10, 09:06 AM
C
Received 71 Upvotes on 64 Posts
For future reference, I test the FG-730 by banging my fist on the wall to create the "flex" wave and immediately clapping my hands loudly for the high pitch. It might take a few tries to get the two sounds close enough together.

Depending on the construction, sometimes bouncing on the floor will generate the flex and it's easier. Or doing it with a buddy so you have three hands.

Old 04-22-10, 02:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I have a couple of the electronic testers, but for the most part, a handful of washers or pennies in a metal can thwacked solidly with my linesman pliers trips 90% of the detectors within a couple of shots.

It is nice to have the proper tool for the fussy ones or as stated before, placement testing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: