Brinks BHS-1200B and adding addtional smoker Dectectors

Old 06-18-10, 04:11 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brinks BHS-1200B and adding addtional smoker Dectectors

Hello everyone,

I have a Brinks BHS-1200b/1202b alarm control panel. I am adding a new addition to my house and by code I need to add two smoke detectors to the new area. My alarm system already has 1 4-wire smoke detector wired. Can I just add two more detectors to the unit or do I need a relay to go along with the installation? Also, I looked at the panel were the detector is connected and I did not see the end of line resistor. On the back of the cover for the housing it states a EOL4700 ( I guess code for End of line 4.7k resistor) Is it possible that the tech put it on the smoke detector cause I don't see it or do the motherboards have them build into the circuitry?

Some other things that my panels says are:

load limitation using a 15 VA trans: max combined aux and fire power output is 250 ma at 9-14 vdc. with an 8 ohm load max. Speaker load. Max fire power is 100 ma.

Use UL listed 4-wire smoke detectors and end of line relay modules in the U.S.

TIA!!

Old 06-18-10, 04:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 117 Posts
The EOL is going to be at the smoke, when properly installed.

Since it's a Brinks, you will have no access to programming to add or alter zones. Fortunately, you don't need to.

Run a 4 wire cable from the existing smoke to the next new smoke, then from that one to the second new smoke.

The existing smoke with it's EOL hardware can be moved to the new End Of Line, and you install the new smokes at the two points in between.

If you can't get access to the existing smoke's connection point, there is still a way to pull this off, but it's more complicated and requires running an extra pair of wires down the new run (in addition to the 4 wires the smokes need).

You are fine for power. To exceed the power ratings of this system with smokes would take 12-16 4-wire smokes.

Old 06-18-10, 05:19 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you...thank you...thank you so much for the quick reply. So basically wire them all in parallel and make sure the existing one is the last one on the chain or take off the EOL resistor and mount it on the farthest one on the chain.
Ok , just one more question. The voltage for the smoke detector. All these 4-wire gimzos are pretty much the same or should I just use my multimeter and measure the voltage at the panel to make sure I get a voltage compatible detector(s)?

Old 06-18-10, 05:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 117 Posts
Security systems work with 12VDC. Nearly all current production 4-wire smokes work with both 12 and 24 volt, just check the specs before you buy to make sure it's a 12 volt device.

I like the System Sensor 4W-B series.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: