Interior siren recommendations

Old 06-28-10, 08:26 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Interior siren recommendations

I in the process of remodeling the house and have wired the house for an alarm system. My next step is to decide on interior sirens. I would like to have two interior's one for the main floor and one for the basement. I haven't decided if I want an exterior siren or not yet but I am going to wire for it anyways.

My current question is, which interior sirens?

I was looking at the BLOODHOUND or the Wave2

Should I just use 18-2 solid for the siren wires?

Thanks,

Scott

Old 06-28-10, 10:06 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I used Wave2's in my system. My suggestion would be to run 18/4 FPLR (fire alarm) cable to the siren locations indoor and out. Two tone sirens need a third conductor, and if down the road you decide to add fire protection, the siren wiring (and in most places the keypad wiring too) must be fire rated.

Old 06-28-10, 04:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Another option is the ELK 71 or ELK 74. They have unobtrusive design and use the wall cavity as a sounding board, so they are very loud for their size and power consumption. They can also be painted to blend in.

Typical two tone sirens have "Steady", "Yelp" and Common. 90% of the time, you come out best using Yelp. The alarm panel will usually create the "code-3" for fire by pulsing the output. So really, you only need two conductor.

Generally, I wire with 4 conductor. It gives me redundant conductors, and gives me a few options for odd hardware choices, down the line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: