Ademco 6128/Vista 10SE beeping randomly

Old 06-23-12, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This thread was extremely helpful, but one more thing:

Great job on all this everybody. I am currently in the exact same situation as the original poster, Bham45. I have taken out the battery and was getting ready to replace it...but...What if I don't care about anything other than the "open door alert" chimes? If that still runs off the AC and I don't care about codes and all, do I still need to replace the battery or can I just leave it at that? Even if we have a power outage, the power will eventually be restored. I can live without the chimes for that small time. I assume the chime feature will kick back in when the power comes back, right? All help appreciated.

Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-12, 10:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
These systems are designed to need a backup battery and will give you daily notification of the absence of the battery (no, the feature can't be turned off). You can always get a smaller Amp/Hour rated battery which would be cheaper.

Old 06-24-12, 12:47 PM
Thanks, Mr. Ron

Ok...installed battery per your advice last night. Thought maybe there was still a problem because "BAT" LCD readout did not automatically go away once battery was in place. But, I gave it a night (perhaps needed time to detect and power up?), and this morning the "BAT" readout was indeed gone and all seems good. This thread was VERY helpful and big thanks to all who participated, especially OP and Mr. Ron.

Old 09-16-12, 03:58 PM
HELP! How do I even get to the battery to change it?

Okay. All the previous threads have verified my suspicions that indeed we need to change the chime battery on this Ademco system. It no longer is monitored; and my landlady has ditched the manual.

But my problem is even more basic. I haven't been able to find a way in to get to the chime battery.

Could someone help me? Please?

I can't find a model number anywhere recognizable. I did find however, the following imprinted on the keypad flap: K4392V2 and M6983

Respectfully submitted,

JLynn4610

Old 09-16-12, 04:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The system battery is located in the metal box with the motherboard. Normally this is in a location like the master suite closet, a utility room or basement, sometimes inside the attic access.

The keypad (those part numbers are for the plastic shell) is just an interface.

Old 09-16-12, 04:37 PM
Thank you so much. Found it. It is a h-u-g-e battery!! It was in the basement on the electrical panel board with cable and internet modems, etc.

Are those leads sealed onto the terminals? or are they just slide ons? I didn't want to fry any circuits; so I just did a visual not a trial disconnection.

I'll be calling Battery World tomorrow to find out price and availability.

Thanks again. And it was indeed the usual Ademco 12P/PS - 15P that most people have been writing about.

Any words of wisdom on the 1,2, 3s of installation of the new battery when I get it? Do I have to reset codes etc [like the #20 of which I had read earlier]?

JLynn4610

Old 09-16-12, 08:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
They are just slip-on connectors, but there may be a bit of corrosion crud if the battery is really far gone. Nothing that a bit of baking soda can't cure. At worst, you might have to crimp on new connectors.

There's nothing special about changing the battery, but it may take as long as 24 hours for then new battery to be fully charged up so that the trouble finally clears.

The battery will typically be 20-30 dollars.