Activating Total Connect Vista-21iP GSM

Old 07-06-10, 04:27 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Activating Total Connect Vista-21iP GSM

Got the Vista21-iP up and running with 12 zones.

Plugged in the GSM Snap-in card and antenna.

OKed the contract.

Connected the Cat-5 to my Link-Sys Router.

Set the hardware jumper on.

Programmed *29 to 1.

They will do the set-up by remote.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-10, 09:24 AM
A
Right now, I have the hardware jumper enabled and the *29 programming enabled. A cat-5 cable is connected from the Vista-21iP to my Linksys router and the internet.

I have LEDs indicating IP green ethernet activity, IP/GSM status green and flashing yellow, and GSM red indicating that it is on.

I have absolutely no idea how they set this up from the "other" end. Do they do it through the internet? If so, are they able to enter through my router's firewall? Or do they do it right through the radio even though the sim-card is not activated and as yet showing no signal strength?

Just a few written facts or F.A.Q. would put the light of day on a lot of questions.

Edit: There are two sets of MAC and CRC numbers, one set for the main board and one set for the snap-in card. You will need all of the numbers.

Last edited by Allegro92; 07-07-10 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-07-10, 03:48 PM
The company I work for can download through the internet or the GSM. Although, we only do so in an emergency (code change, extend delay etc.) When we install Total Connect we hand program the control. I can tell you that setting up an account for Total Connect is one of the more difficult programming tasks (relay programming). Alarmnet should send you the user name and password to log into Total Connect once the account is set up.

FYI, I was a beta tester for Total Connect way back in '07.

Old 07-07-10, 07:57 PM
A
It appeared to have taken most of the day today to deal with this. I now have two yellows and a green on the GSM so I guess we are getting there. The communications error is now gone from the keypad.

Prior to that, I had...
Check 103 LngRng Radio 000f

According to my manual, there should also be three presses of the test button and a power down reset, but I'll let them dictate when that is done. Then we'll pay the bill tomorrow and get the Alarmnet user name and password.

I'm writing this up because it is found nowhere on the web. I get the impression that either not too many people have Total Connect or the ones that do have it aren't able to write about it.

Old 07-07-10, 10:54 PM
A
Routers and Firewalls

When using Honeywell IP products, like Total Connect remote services, there is no need to open ANY additional ports in your firewall. Why? Because the Honeywell equipment polls (or checks into) the Honeywell AlarmNet Center every 20 seconds. When you want to connect to your equipment, you actually are connecting to a secure server at AlarmNet. When AlarmNet gets your request to connect to your equipment, it waits for your equipment to check in, and connects the two of your through a secure server located and maintained at alarmNet. DoD, DoE and the military like this idea and use AlarmNet by Honeywell it because it is secure.
Source: opening firewall ports The Blog @ Safe-T-Tech

Old 07-07-10, 11:51 PM
[QUOTE=I'm writing this up because it is found nowhere on the web. I get the impression that either not too many people have Total Connect or the ones that do have it aren't able to write about it.[/QUOTE]

Quite honestly it is not a DIY task. Honeywell engineers created a way to use virtual relays to allow for notifications and remote services. Honeywell answered GE and alarm.com with a service running on a family of panels that was never designed for it. In my opinion Honeywell shoved a square peg in a round hole...it works, but takes alot of force and frustration to make it work.

/Rant

Old 07-08-10, 01:04 PM
A
Things were a bit shaky at first because they had set it as a Keypad with no tabs, but with a programming change on their part and a change on my 6160 keypad programming, it's all set. I now have the Enhanced Keypad with tabs and full reporting!

All up and running! Now for lots of reading in the Installer Setup Guide and the Online Help Guide.

Old 07-09-10, 03:51 PM
A
Just adding a note that I now have the keypad on my cell phone and a full report menu on my notebook. Everything is working!

This is definitely NOT for the weak of heart or mind! I had to upgrade my PDA phone from Windows Mobile 6.1 to 6.5 and Verizon discouraged it, but HTC showed me the way.

I have yet to deal with Event / Subject Assignment though it will come to me at some point. I think that I need to program Report Codes into the 6160 first and then use TC to put the name tags on it. Apparently it's for tamper traps for your household goods.

For now, I'll relax a bit. Beer 4U2

Old 07-09-10, 04:47 PM
I have yet to deal with Event / Subject Assignment though it will come to me at some point. I think that I need to program Report Codes into the 6160 first and then use TC to put the name tags on it. Apparently it's for tamper traps for your household goods.
You program the notifications in relay programming. We by default use the following notifications:

POWER FAILURE
System armed or Disarmed.

Depending how the account was setup in AlarmNet direct, you can have 4 or 8 notifications.

At my house I also am notified of water bugs and some other stuff.

Old 07-13-10, 09:00 PM
A
Questions for the experts here...

Today, I pulled the plug at my computer desk as a normal event here in my area for lightning protection purposes. This later triggered a trouble event at the monitoring station apparently because my cable modem and router was down.

When I returned to the house, I reactivated the cable modem and the router and everything was back to normal. Then another situation came up later this evening with the cable modem being locked up, which is not out of the question with the reliability of my cable company.

Obviously the monitoring station has no readout as to whether it's the internet communications or the GSM communications that went out. It only shows to them as a communications trouble indicator. Trbl (C) PR

After resetting the cable modem, all Vista panel LED indicator lamps went back to what I have seen as normal, both with and without the status switch being depressed.

Question 1: What is the way to set monitoring priority on this system so that the GSM radio is #1 and the internet is totally secondary?

Question 2: Although I cannot control the reliability of the cable company, should I plan on using a UPS for full-time cable modem and router operation?

Question 3: Can this thing be successfully operated solely on the GSM radio and simply forget about the internet connection?

Last edited by Allegro92; 07-13-10 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-14-10, 10:48 AM
P
Considering the same setup

Hello, Allegro. Thanks for sharing your experience, I am thinking of installing a very similar setup. Does TotalConnect work through both the IP module and the GSM, or just the IP?

I had already decided that it would probably be a good idea to get a UPS to backup my cable modem. I'll also be looking to see if there is a TotalConnect Android app. If I follow though I'll let you know how things go.

Thanks again.

Old 07-14-10, 12:35 PM
A

It works great on my HTC Touch Pro2 with the generic Windows Mobile Pocket PC app. I did have to re-flash my phone ROM with the 6.5 upgrade.

As far as I know, TC works with both IP and GSM, but as I asked above I'm not sure if these are prioritized.

Old 07-14-10, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by porear View Post
Hello, Allegro. Thanks for sharing your experience, I am thinking of installing a very similar setup. Does TotalConnect work through both the IP module and the GSM, or just the IP?

I had already decided that it would probably be a good idea to get a UPS to backup my cable modem. I'll also be looking to see if there is a TotalConnect Android app. If I follow though I'll let you know how things go.

Thanks again.
There is an Android app, I am using TC with a Motorolla Droid and it works well. You will not find it on the Android market, but you can have TC send you the link to download the app under the "configure mobile" tab. You will need to enable non-market apps, though.

Old 07-14-10, 08:16 PM
M
Originally Posted by Allegro92 View Post

Question 3: Can this thing be successfully operated solely on the GSM radio and simply forget about the internet connection?
Hi Allegro92,

I know this is too late, since you obviously have your system up and running, but when we were shopping for our system, we had questions like these. In the end, we went with Alarm.com, which only uses the GSM network. It's not even touching our cable/Vonage panel. We still can access from cellphones/iPod touch/keyfobs, etc.

Maybe there's a way to force TC to operate only through GSM... I'm sure someone will be here with more knowledge to comment. Good luck!

Old 07-17-10, 11:03 AM
A
Bumping this up for those that know the answer. Can I dump the internet connection while I am on vacation?

Originally Posted by Allegro92 View Post
Questions for the experts here...

Question 1: What is the way to set monitoring priority on this system so that the GSM radio is #1 and the internet is totally secondary?

Question 2: Although I cannot control the reliability of the cable company, should I plan on using a UPS for full-time cable modem and router operation?

Old 07-17-10, 07:50 PM
You can use GSM only....you need to turn off the IP dialer in programming.

Old 07-27-10, 12:11 PM
A
I have just completed the most difficult phase of programming! I now have cell phone text messages for Armed Away, Armed Stay, Burglary, Fire, AC Power, Garage Door, Shop Door, House Temperature.

There is only ONE way that you can achieve this: HIT THE BOOKS! All of them! Get every manual for your system, Panel Installation, Panel Programming, Total Connect Help, Total Connect Installation. Each manual has something that the others do not. It is up to YOU to put it all together. Lay the worksheet out for *29, *79 and *80 keystrokes and do it one step at a time. There are a lot of steps!

Beer 4U2

Old 07-27-10, 08:09 PM
If you're using Total Connect functions often, you want to leave the IP on. Using the internet, you have unlimited data. But using GSM & text, you only have a bit of data, and they start charging you for extra.

I'm suprised they can't tell which signal (IP/GSM) is down.

Old 07-29-10, 10:30 AM
A
I am set up for IP and GSM. I have also connected my modem and router through a UPS unit.

I am becoming very aware that you get what you pay for when ordering monitoring. I'm at $30/month on a one year basis. My local alarm company quoted $46 and I wonder if they might have been the better choice given local support and hidden benefits. They also have good rapport with the local authorities.

Anyway, I'm wondering if my panel supervision might be a bit weak...

I noticed in the *26 settings that there are many variable factors that go into the setup of central station monitoring. One of which is Supervision where you have a parameter choice of 30 Day or 24 Hours. It turns out that 24 hour supervision is offered at extra cost.

I am presently set for "30 Day", with a GSM rollover "Y", a GSM 24Hr Tst at "N", Old Alarm Time default at "10 Minutes", IP fault time at "60 Minutes" GSM Fit Time at "60 Minutes", Notify Panel Of Neither Fault at "Neither".

Are these all OK or should I demand better? Is the GSM spigot turned down to a trickle?

I was also surprised that they couldn't tell which signal (IP/GSM) was down.

Old 11-06-10, 11:44 PM
A
Back home after three months on the road. It was great to be able to check in on the home system either by cell phone or by logging in on alarmnet.com to look at the logs. The cell phone text messages ran like clockwork when a relative checked in at the house. The IP ran through my modem and router, both of which are on UPS backup power. Only one connection drop message to central station the entire trip. This system is professional!