Motion detector/ announcer/strobe

Old 07-22-10, 06:18 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Motion detector/ announcer/strobe

My system arrived and I am reading and looking through things. If the Ademco is the most DIY user friendly, I would hate to see the least friendly one!! I hope I am not in over my head here.

The first thing I notice is the Honeywell PIR Motion sensor IS2535 directions say to mount between 7 ft 6 in and 9 ft. My ceilings are 7 ft 6 in. will this be a problem? Do I mount it tight to the ceiling?

I have a Vista 20p with a 6160RF, if I program one motion sensor as an announcer, what announces?? Does the keyboard chirp, beep, buzz or does the siren wail?? I should have thought of this before!!

I want to add a Solex strobe light model SLC. It is a 12V light with 2 wires coming out of it. I see nothing in the directions about adding a strobe. Where does it hook to in the panel??

JIm

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-10, 11:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
Just mount the motion as high as the allows, while still giving yourself the room to get the cover on and off. If you look at the instructions, there is a small amount of fine adjustment by sliding the board assembly up and down inside the housing.

An annunciator zone just makes the keypad chime go off.

For the strobe, you have to do a little math. If the strobe and siren combined amp draws add up to less than the rated siren output on the system, you can simply wire them both to the siren output. If the combination is way too much, then you may have to add a power supply and relay to power the strobe (this also involves output programming).

Old 07-22-10, 01:03 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks for the response!!

The pitfalls of DIY The p20 alarm output is 600 mA. the wave 2 is 500 mA and the strobe is 180 mA, I also have another wave 2 for eventual placement in shed!! The rep I ordered from told me I was in limits.... The strobe and 2nd wave 2 will have to be put off till next year.

Before I assume, on the p20 panel connectors 4-and 5+ show as aux power. This is where I hook up power for glass brake and motion detectors???

Thanks again JIm

Old 07-22-10, 04:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
The thing you have to remember is that the 600mA limit is to be in compliance for UL (for liability indemnification).

The siren output will tap the battery to sustain an output up to about 2 amps. Give it a try with your parts; the worst that will happen is that the overload will trip and shut everything down.

Yup, terminals 4 & 5 are both Aux power and keypad power.