Need simple alarm system

Old 08-04-10, 06:46 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need simple alarm system

We have had several houses in the neighborhood broken into at night while the owners were sleeping. I'm looking for a simple but reliable system. I don't need blaring horns and auto dialer. All I really need is something to notify me when I'm asleep that someone could be in the house. I was thinking of a wireless system with a few PIR's and something to alert me. Also some local alarm to alert the intruder that he's been detected, in which case he'll probably run. I'd like some room for expansion, possibly glass breaks or maybe some outside detection.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Old 08-04-10, 09:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 111 Posts
Based on your desires, this is one of those rare instances where I would suggest an all in one unit like a Simon XT or LynxR

Old 08-04-10, 09:34 PM
dog...............................................

Old 08-05-10, 02:45 PM
B
Originally Posted by MrRonFL View Post
Based on your desires, this is one of those rare instances where I would suggest an all in one unit like a Simon XT or LynxR
Thanks. I'll check into those.

Old 08-06-10, 09:43 AM
C
Pretty much the same reason I picked up a Simon XT. I don't need the best of the best, but the Simon XT does help me sleep better at night.

Old 08-06-10, 03:57 PM
B
The Simon XT has some good reviews. Looks like what I need. Saw some pretty good prices on ebay.
Any warnings about the ebay stuff, such as counterfeit or versions that don't work well?

Old 08-06-10, 04:11 PM
C
I got mine from safemart.com... Not as cheap as ebay but it is warranted (I even added a 3 year extended for only a little more).
Make sure (especially if you go the ebay route) you get the new v1.3 version since the new zwave tech and 2-way talking lcd touch screen will NOT work with other versions AND the panels are not firmware upgradeable so you will be stuck with whatever you buy.

Old 08-06-10, 05:07 PM
C
Scare him away

I have been in your position, don;t bother paying an alarm monitoring company, get a system when you can add a 2nd siren so it will be twice as loud, burglars don;t want anyone to know they are there, that will scare them away

Old 08-06-10, 06:27 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cavegas2010 View Post
I have been in your position, don;t bother paying an alarm monitoring company, get a system when you can add a 2nd siren so it will be twice as loud, burglars don;t want anyone to know they are there, that will scare them away
This is contrary to what most pro thieves say to the news media. They say they can be out long before anyone shows up. My own experience was the thieves kept breaking in even after I installed an alarm.Only reinforced plywood on the inside of the windows finally stoped them.

Police in Dallas I remember reading said response to alarms gets the lowest priority because over 90% are false. Here where I live a friend witnessed a burglary in progress in the middle of the day. Fifteen minutes later and at least two calls to 911 still no police the thieves left and the friend gave up and stopped waiting for the police 15 minutes after that. Of course these weren't pros probably. Pros say they can be in and out in six minutes.

Old 08-06-10, 08:42 PM
B
Originally Posted by Ciege View Post
I got mine from safemart.com... Not as cheap as ebay but it is warranted (I even added a 3 year extended for only a little more).
Make sure (especially if you go the ebay route) you get the new v1.3 version since the new zwave tech and 2-way talking lcd touch screen will NOT work with other versions AND the panels are not firmware upgradeable so you will be stuck with whatever you buy.
Great info Ciege. I'll make sure what ever I get is v 1.3.

What Ray said is pretty much what my sister in law, who's in law enforcement, said. The the alarm may not stop them. My main concern is someone breaking in while I'm asleep. An alarm will prevent me from being a victim. Anyone who enters my bedroom will be met with a Mossberg.

Old 08-07-10, 10:30 AM
M
Originally Posted by mango man View Post
dog...............................................

I didn't see it coming haha

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: