Simon XT motion sensor works half the time.

Old 08-20-10, 05:21 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Simon XT motion sensor works half the time.

I have a Simon XT with two freeze sensors and one motion sensor (60-807-95R) assigned. When I arm Doors & Windows and Motions both lights light up and unit sends out 4 beeps in arming.. At the end of the arming sequence it gives 2 beeps and the Motions light goes out thus arming only the freeze sensors.. When arming Motions by itself it works and the Motions light stays lit... How can I arm the freeze sensors and the motion sensor at the same time?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-10, 06:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 90 Posts
You need to have a entry/exit door contact. Unless you open and close an entry/exit door, the motion automatically bypasses. You _could_ put the motion into a different sensor group/zone type, but all motion detector systems are generally a bad idea.

What sensor group/zone type did you set the freeze units for. Those should be one of the 24 hour type zones.

Old 08-20-10, 06:59 PM
R
I put the freeze sensors into Sensor Group 29... Thanks....

Old 08-20-10, 08:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The freeze sensors are active at all arming levels (I.E. 24-7), so all you have to do is arm the motions. Go with group 20 for the motion. That will give you a delay on it, but I still think you need a door contact.

Old 09-11-10, 10:33 AM
K
I'm having a related problem. I have a motion sensor in Group 17 that always shows Activated on the Alarm.com site, even if there has been no motion in that room for hours. Sometimes it will go to Idle after many hours but usually it stays Activated.

Likewise, if I try to arm to Away (level 4), the system reverts to Stay after the exit delay.

The results of the walk test seem normal, and I've tried deleting and re-learning the sensor, but I still have this problem.

Any suggestions?

Old 09-11-10, 10:47 AM
K
Originally Posted by kashick View Post
I'm having a related problem. I have a motion sensor in Group 17 that always shows Activated on the Alarm.com site, even if there has been no motion in that room for hours. Sometimes it will go to Idle after many hours but usually it stays Activated.

Likewise, if I try to arm to Away (level 4), the system reverts to Stay after the exit delay.

The results of the walk test seem normal, and I've tried deleting and re-learning the sensor, but I still have this problem.

Any suggestions?
Ok I realized I had Unvacated Premises on so it was arming down to Level 2. But alarm.com still shows motion sensor is always Activated. I'll try to get an answer from them.

Old 09-12-10, 08:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If you enrolled the motion per the installation instructions, and you have it in the sensor group/zone type 17 as described, and the motion is on it's mounting plate with the cover properly in place, then you should have no problem.

If the system isn't armed, then that zone should not be sending any signals to your monitoring center.

Old 09-13-10, 12:29 AM
D
Originally Posted by MrRonFL View Post
If the system isn't armed, then that zone should not be sending any signals to your monitoring center.
Simon XT's, when used in conjunction with Alarm.com, send a signal via GSM or Broadband to Alarm.com basically every time any thing happens. Motions, Windows, Doors, Tampers, EVERY LITTLE THING (Which can get annoying but that's the way the GSM is programmed) Anyway, it does it no matter what, armed or disarmed, so you can, for example, see what rooms in your home are being occupied even when disarmed. (like if the kids came home from school)

Anyway, sounds like an Alarm.com site refresh issue. Does it give you the time of the motion in your daily log?

Old 09-13-10, 03:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ah, that's a feature for that service that's not come up before. It explains a lot.

Hmmm, sounds like they are acting more like a virtual keypad than a proper central station service.

Looks like the problem is at the alarm.com end of the wire.

Old 09-14-10, 02:33 AM
D
Originally Posted by MrRonFL View Post
Ah, that's a feature for that service that's not come up before. It explains a lot.

Hmmm, sounds like they are acting more like a virtual keypad than a proper central station service.

Looks like the problem is at the alarm.com end of the wire.
Well, we mustn't forget Alarm.com isn't a central station, they pass the information of your alarm along to your central station.

Alarm.com has become a little advanced for most end users though. With Web Access and Control,Video Monitoring, Send Commands from Your Mobile Phone, Real-Time Notifications (the whole, "Know before your Central Station does/ Expect the Call!" thing, and now as if that wasn't enough, emPower, which allows you to unlock doors and turn off light and set the A/C from work, home, vacation, or while driving ( Do not Attempt While Driving )

Even with all these advancements, let's all not forget what the Simon XT was built to do... In essence, protect life and property.

Old 09-14-10, 04:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Explains a lot. Truth be told, I've not looked at the specific details of Alarm.coms service and business model. I primarily install commercial life-safety and security; and those are a very different set of specs.

Fact still remains, the original poster's problem is at the far end of the "wire"...

Old 09-14-10, 08:02 PM
K
My motion sensor seems to be behaving itself more over the last few days and is showing IDLE on alarm.com in a more reasonable timeframe. Maybe it's getting used to the room.

But I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Old 09-14-10, 08:49 PM
G
Originally Posted by rmoen View Post
I have a Simon XT with two freeze sensors and one motion sensor (60-807-95R) assigned. When I arm Doors & Windows and Motions both lights light up and unit sends out 4 beeps in arming.. At the end of the arming sequence it gives 2 beeps and the Motions light goes out thus arming only the freeze sensors.. When arming Motions by itself it works and the Motions light stays lit... How can I arm the freeze sensors and the motion sensor at the same time?

put the motion in Group 15......