ADT Safewatch/Vista 20P

Old 09-03-10, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ADT Safewatch/Vista 20P

A friend of mine has a house with an inactive ADT Safewatch 3000 Pro. I went to look at it, (having read a number of posts here and having downloaded the Vista 20p manual) The display cycles through this 'Ad' '17' '00'. I tried both 4112 and 6321 installer codes but I can't get it to do anything.
Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome.

Last edited by Bobaroni; 09-03-10 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-10, 06:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
That display tells me that you most likely have a 6150RF model keypad.

Add these instructions to your stash: http://www.homesecuritystore.com/dow...05&prod_id=152

You will need to change the keypad address (the first pair of numbers) to 16. After that, you should be able to access the system programming.

Old 09-03-10, 08:46 PM
Wow...many thanks for the super quick response. It may take me a few days to get back to this system, but I'll respond again. Thanks.

Old 07-29-12, 03:08 PM
Same Problem - cycling Ad 17 00

Hi Folks,
I am having the same probelm with error message Ad 17 00 cycling through. I tried to follow the link - http://www.homesecuritystore.com/dow...05&prod_id=152 but it seems to be inactive.
Do you know another answer or link to solve this problem?

Old 07-29-12, 05:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Old 07-29-12, 09:57 PM
"The display cycles through this 'Ad' '17' '00'."

You (more than likely) will not get this to go away -- The keypad is toast. (And if it does go away, it is only temporary.)

You can probably change the address [17] on the screen but, after hitting * a couple of times you'll find it probably won't get you any further.

Old 07-30-12, 05:48 AM
Thanks for this. You say I can change the address on the screen. How do I accomplish this. The keypad seems to accept no input. Also, it is reading "No AC" even though it is plugged in.

Old 07-30-12, 09:30 AM
Yep, just ran across the same situation with a customer's keypad on Saturday. All you can do is replace it. If you ever do get past this point, it will eventually give you 'check 09'.

By continuing to press numbers and pressing * you might change the address but it is only on the screen, you are not actually setting the address.

Last edited by tpring; 07-30-12 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-31-12, 05:56 AM
There is something else that might apply in my case. When I first started messing with the system, I tried various codes. One of the codes was to restore factory defaults. When I entered that code, it began cycling the Ad 17 00. Does that information help?

Old 07-31-12, 07:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, if you defaulted the system, then you turned off keypad address 17. If this is the only keypad, if you change the keypad address to 16 it will work. If it's not the only keypad, use the working keypad to turn the address back on in system programming.

Old 07-31-12, 07:20 AM
Hi
I have been having this same code cycling through - Ad 17 00. My system is a Safewatch 3000 Pro. Again, it is a system that came with the house that my wife and I just purchased and the previous owner did not remember the code - boo hoo.
My BIG regret is that I entered the code to reset to factory default and that's when the trouble began and this message started. The keyboard will not respond to any input.
Is there a fix from the keypad?
Thank you for any advice.

Old 07-31-12, 12:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Let's keep this question confined to one thread please:

You have been provided with the link to the installation manual for the keypad.

The installer manual for the base system (A "Safewatch Pro 3000" is a slightly modified Vista 20p): http://www.alarmeengros.com/installation15P.pdf

By defaulting the system, you wiped out all of your zone programming. If you change the address of the keypad to 16, it will function, but you will not be able to restore the zone programming with the keypad you have.

Old 07-31-12, 06:14 PM
Sorry. I'm not sure how I deviated from the thread? I saw Ad 17 00 as a topic and thought I was on track. I am a novice to this group so please bring me up to speed.

Thank you for the manual.

It seems that I am not able to enter anything from the keypad, at all. Nothing happens. I have hit * + # and many other codes without any success.

Could you please suggest what steps I might take to change the keypad address to 16.

Cheers, Jim

Old 07-31-12, 08:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The post that I moved to this thread was posted to another, older thread, and was a duplicate of the question that was posted to _this_ current thread. Doing so tends to get answers scattered all over the forum.

That said: First download and print the installer sheets for the keypad so you can follow along: http://download.homesecuritystore.co...RF_Install.pdf
Press the [1] and [3] keys simultaneously for a few seconds within 30 seconds after applying power or within 30 seconds after removing the case back. The keypad beeps 3 times, and two dashes and two zeroes flash alternately in the upper left-hand corner of the display. If any other numbers or letters flash in the display, press the [✱] key.

To change the keypad address, press 1 16 *
Keep pressing * until you exit keypad programming. The keypad should respond at this point if there are no other issues.

You _still_ won't have proper zone programming.

Old 08-01-12, 07:46 PM
Thank you very much for this great information. I can see a possible light at the end of the tunnel. is this the correct forum to ask a question about programming the different zones? Or is it possible with this keypad?

Old 08-01-12, 08:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, you will not be able to program the zones with this keypad. If you knew and understood the Ademco programming procedures you could do one or two. It's nearly impossible to do wireless zones without being able to see the prompts.

You need a 6160 keypad, or the equivalent (you can use a borrowed one or a beat up used one, as long as the keys all work; the keypad doesn't have to stay on the system).

Old 08-03-12, 07:16 PM
Programming 101

Thank you again for this. I called ADT to see if they would come and program the system but they will only do it if I sign a 3 year contract. I really do not want to go this route. I am very technological savvy (I think I programmed the first Commodore Pet with 8K of memory) and I have read the manuals but not much of this makes much sense.
Is there any 'basic' set of programming steps that I can follow to get this system up and running?

Old 08-03-12, 09:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
All you can do without the right keypad, is to write out what prompt should be visible for each zone in the *56 programming steps, and program one zone/device at a time.

There's really no magic bullet or shortcut for this.

Old 08-04-12, 06:22 PM
Feeling pretty thick

Hi Again,
I must admit that I am feeling pretty thick and very incompetent with this stuff. Honestly I am still at the stage where I have set the keypad to 16 - that's it, that's all she wrote.
I do not know where to start with your suggestion "write out what prompt should be visible for each zone in the *56 programming steps, and program one zone/device at a time". I wonder if there is anyone who could spend 15 minutes with me on the phone walking me through some of the basics?

Old 08-05-12, 07:40 AM
Terminology

Hi Again,
Just to add to the last post, I am at the stage where I am trying to understand some of the terminology, like wireless key and loop, etc. So, although the ADEMCO 6150RF installation and setup is likely very useful to most people in this, I need to start just a bit before this manual. Is there a "Alarm Systems for Dummies" that I could refer to?

Old 08-05-12, 08:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
One of the peculiaritys of security alarms is that every brand line uses slightly different terminology, and every installation is essentially a custom installation. That's why there's really no way to create a generic step-by-step "how to" for this stuff.

"Loop" is a good example. With Honeywell/Ademco, in particular, loop can refer to both the field wiring for hardwired alarm contacts and devices; _or_ it refers to the input points on a wireless transmitter (a 5816 transmitter has 2 input loops: loop 1 is the hardwire input terminals, loop 2 is the built in magnetic reed switch).

90% of this stuff is standard electrical/electronic nomenclature, for the rest you have to wade through the manuals.

Old 08-05-12, 08:46 AM
Brief overview

Hi MrRonFL,
Thank you again for your patience! Could you please give me a brief explanation, perhaps an example, of what you mean by "write out what prompt should be visible for each zone in the *56 programming steps, and program one zone/device at a time".

Old 08-05-12, 09:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here's a thread where someone altered a _single_ zone.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...t-rf-zone.html

To be honest, I have given up on retyping the *56 instructions, because 99% of people that try this get stuck and end up needing to get an alpha keypad anyway.

Old 08-05-12, 06:49 PM
What does it do?

Hi Again,
Thank you for the link. I looked up and copied the keystrokes into the system. Now the big DUMB question - what does it accomplish? Here are the strokes I entered.

Actually you almost had it, you just missed a couple of keystrokes

[installer code] + 8 00,
03*
00*
0*
1*
0*
00 to exit *56
*99 to exit programming.

Basically, you had a number of keystrokes that the system ignored, so you got stuck at the default zone type.

Like I said, trying to program zones this way is _tough_. (heck, I'm not sure I didn't miss a prompt...)

Old 08-05-12, 08:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I was providing you with an example of a typical sequence. It was not intended to be a match for _your_ configuration. If you read through the *56 instructions in the Vista 20p installer manual and match the numbers up with the steps, it may help you understand how the programming syntax is supposed to work.

Old 08-10-12, 09:51 AM
Hi again,
I have figured out the installer code and can turn the chime on/off. The system seems to respond to an OFF command. When I do installer code + INSTANT, the system scrolls through 01 04 05 07 08 and continues to scroll those numbers until I enter installer code + OFF.

1) Any idea what the system is telling me?

2) I am not sure what sequence to enter into the system to program a zone. For example if I want to program front door, as zone 13, is there a sequence you would recommend trying?

Old 08-10-12, 03:12 PM
The system is telling you that some of the zones (sensors) are faulted. I wouldn't worry about these zones until you have the system programmed properly.

To program your zones in field 56 you really, really, really need a 6160 keypad. I've been servicing Ademco panels for 10 years and I have never been able to program the whole system without the help of a 6160 keypad.

Old 08-10-12, 08:13 PM
6160 Keypad

Thank you for this Fishlips25. I have looked on ebay and Amazon and it seems that they are pretty easy to buy. Is that what you suggest?
If I buy one, is it easy to install and remove the old keypad?

Thanks again.

Old 08-10-12, 08:43 PM
Do yourself a favor and get a 6160 or equivilent,you can get an alpha online pretty cheap.One thing you have to understand is to never try to program a safewatch 3000 pro or vista 20p without an alpha keypad.If you try to do it blindly without an alpha and inadvertently enter the wrong field,(I think it's field 88)and select the wrong choice (3),you can lock yourself out of programming rendering the panel useless.Once you lock yourself out the only way back in is through download which requires expensive equipment and software that only a dealer can purchase.It's best to avoid that field altogether even if you have an alpha keypad.

Old 08-11-12, 05:45 AM
Is programming intuitive with an alpha K.P.

Thanks Dodgeman70. Is programming intuitive with an alpha keypad? I mean, right now the syntax is messing me up. For example, does an alpha keypad take you through a series of steps to program each zone or does it have you fill in entries for loops and wireless keys, etc? If it does, I think my system is destined to be a wall hanging.

Old 08-11-12, 06:55 AM
No problem va3jwk,once you have an alpha keypad connected it's really not that difficult to program,it's a little confusing and daunting at first,but once you program a couple of zones you should be able to get the hang of it.It doesn't have to be 6160 you can use a 6139 if you want to save a little cash.It does take you through each step with feedback in some of the fields.

Old 08-11-12, 07:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Security system programming cannot really be described as "intuitive". It was designed for installation by people with, at least, basic technical knowlege.

That said, once you work your way through the pattern of the first zone programming, it makes sense.

It's not like programming a typical piece of consumer electronics. All of the information _is_ in the manual, but the manual is a _reference_. You have to flip back and forth in the manual to find specific detail info, like which type of wireless transmitter has which loops.

Old 08-11-12, 01:14 PM
Wireless?

Thanks to all for your help with this; a couple more answers please.

Do I need a wireless version of either the 6160 or 6139 to program the wireless zones - so a 6160RF or ...... ?

I am not sure if I am looking at the correct items, but the 6160 and 6139 seem to be very close in price? Around $120 for either one. At relatively the same price, which one do you prefer?

Old 08-11-12, 01:38 PM
You shouldn't need a wireless one unless the one you already have is wireless,is your current keypad a 6150rf?

Old 08-11-12, 02:13 PM
I believe it is. How do I verify that? All of the sensors are wireless.

Old 08-11-12, 02:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your existing keypad _is_ a RF model, so you would leave it connected, and install the alpha keypad _in_addition_ for programming purposes (which is exactly what the ADT installer did).

You would use the existing keypad to activate keypad address 17, then set the address on the programming keypad to that address.

Old 08-11-12, 03:17 PM
Hi MrRonFL,
So, do I have to find a different location in the house for the alpha keypad?

Old 08-11-12, 08:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not really, you can simply hook it up temporarily at the motherboard with a couple of feet of wire. I've got an old beat up 6139 setup with alligator clips just for this purpose.

If you have another keypad location, sure, use it. Quite often, prewired housed had keypad drops in places like the front and back door and sometimes the master suite, but unless they left it with a blank coverplate, it can be difficult to find after the fact.

Old 08-12-12, 05:56 AM
Sounds like a nice solution. I searched the forum and cannot come up with a diagram or explanation for hooking up a keypad to the motherboard. Do you know off-hand where that information resides?

Old 08-12-12, 06:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's in the installer manual, and on the diagam on the door of the system enclosure.

If you are going to use the alligator clip method, connect the black (ground) last. If you are going to actually put wires under the terminals for the motherboard, then kill power before you make and break keybus connections. If you slip handling wires while the system is hot, you can damage the keypad, the motherboard, or both.