Smoke Detector to an Ademco 4110XM

Old 09-17-10, 04:32 PM
Exclamation Smoke Detector to an Ademco 4110XM

I have a 6-Zone Ademco 4110XM Control Panel. It says a smoke detector can be attatched to Zone 5. I have an ESL (Sentrol) Model 449C Smoke Detector I want to attatch to the system. There is already a motion detector on Zone 5. Can I move that motion to Zone 4 where there already is a motion and have them both on Zone 4? And How do I attatch the smoke to the system and program it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-10, 06:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 21
Actually, the _any_ zone can be programmed as a fire zone, they show zone 5 on the diagram because that's the factory default.

If you don't already have them, you need the installation and programming manuals:

http://www.info-techs.com/ademco/fil...n/4110xmii.pdf

http://www.info-techs.com/ademco/fil...g/4110xmpf.pdf

The "master/installer" code is programming location 20. If you read through the sticky titled "Alarm Forum FAQ (Please read before posting), you will find the technique for accessing programming and extracting the installer code.

In general, it's not a good idea to put multiple motions on a single zone, but if all your zones are used, you don't have a lot of choices that don't involve a system replacement.

You change the zone type in locations 31 to 36.

Old 09-17-10, 06:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
4 wire smokes can be installed on any zone. That zone must be programmed as Fire (Type 9). The Zone 5 designation is used only as an example. On the smoke, there will be 4 terminals: NO, COM, +, -. NO and COM go to the zone of your choice. + goes to terminal 5, - goes to terminal 4. Also notice for each terminal on the smoke there are two screws. The second set is for daisy-chaining other detectors on the zone. The screws are connected together inside the detector, so if a detector is removed, it breaks the loop and sets a trouble at the keypad. In your case, since you are only connecting one detector, this is where you will connect your End Of Line (EOL) relay (ESL #204 or equivilent) and 1000 ohm EOL resistor. The EOL resistor and EOL relay are crucial for proper supervision of the fire zone. Look carefully at the diagram to see how this is set up.

Fire devices are Normally open. Meaning if the power were to fail, there would be no protection and no indicatation as such. What the EOL relay does is hold the EOL resistor in the loop. If power to the detection loop were lost, the EOL relay would open, disconnecting the EOL resistor from the loop and triggering a trouble at the keypad. If there were a fault with the zone wiring, again, the EOL resistor would be disconnected and the keypad would indicate a fault.

Keep in mind, since this is a 449C, it has no built-in sounder of its own. When it goes off, only the main panel siren will sound. The models with the sounder will have an 'S' suffix (449CST)

Old 09-20-10, 06:07 PM
Well, I will give this a try this weekend sometime. Thank you very much!

Old 09-21-10, 04:26 PM
Alright, so I was able to get the smoke detector hooked up and working! However, when I moved the motion that was on Zone 5 over to Zone 4, the Zone is faulted and the motions are not tripped. The 04 fault won't go away. I simply moved the two wires, with the resister to the two terminals for zone 4. Do I need to do somthing different? Thank You.

Old 09-21-10, 06:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, remember, this is a series circuit for a zone loop. Remove the resistor from the pair you are moving. Remove the existing zone 4 wire _without_ the resistor. Connect either of the two wires from the pair you are moving to that wire. Land the remaining wire on the zone input.

Old 09-21-10, 07:28 PM
OK, I think I did what you explained, and I'm still having the same issue. There is one resister, and one wire on terminal 13, and two other wires on terminal 14. I also tried switching both wires around. anything else I should try?

Old 09-21-10, 08:26 PM
Ok.. The terminals for zone 4 are 12 and 13, not 13 and 14. There's your first problem.

Start over. Take the two sets of motion detector wires off. You should have one wire left on terminal 12 (for zone 3).

Now.. Take one wire from each motion detector and connect one to each side of the resistor. Now take one of the remaining wires and connect it to terminal 12, and the other remaining wire and connect it to terminal 13.

That should fix you.

(motion power wires left off for clarity - if the proper cable was used, the zone wires should be green and white on the motions.)

It is also bad (but unfortunately common) practice to install the resistors at the panel. It's an irrefutable sign of a lazy installer. They're called 'end of line' resistors because they are supposed to go at the 'end' of the zone. Installing them in the can defeats their purpose. However, with the configuration you are setting up, you have no choice but to have the one for zone 4 where I diagrammed it (or at either of the motions where it will be equally ineffective).

Last edited by JerseyMatt; 09-21-10 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-21-10, 08:37 PM
When you say "on each side of the resister", do you mean that the resister should connect between one of the wires (say, both green) from each motion? or the two wires should go on one side of the resister and then that will go into terminal 12?

Old 09-21-10, 08:55 PM
Yes between the greens. I added a diagram to clarify..

Old 09-21-10, 09:08 PM
Thank You! I'll give this a shot tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes. I appriciate the help.

Old 09-23-10, 04:42 PM
Alright, so the smoke detector is installed and working. The motions are all on Zone 4 and working perfectly. I was very pleased, and then, I go to arm the system, and the system will not accept any commands. The keypad will still beep when a button is pressed and everything else seems to be working fine. However, I AM able to arm the system and enter commands when the front entry door is open. It's not just any door, but if that entry door is open, the system will take commands. I am so confused. I am not able to use the system because I can only arm if the door is open as I'm sure you know. Any ideas here? This is just weird.

Old 09-23-10, 09:32 PM
Upvotes Received: 11
Originally Posted by Garner65 View Post
I go to arm the system, and the system will not accept any commands. The keypad will still beep when a button is pressed and everything else seems to be working fine.
Detailed accurate information makes troubleshooting go a lot quicker. When you say it will not accept "any commands", do you mean that you entered your code and tried to arm it and it wouldn't arm; and then you tried to bypass a zone and it wouldn't bypass either; and then you tried to enter the "Chime" command and it wouldn't change that either?

Or do you mean it wouldn't _ARM_ when you tried to arm? 'Cause that's _one_ command, and more easily explained than it not taking _any_ commands.

Question: When you tried to arm it, was the green Ready light on? What is the green Ready light's condition (lit or not) with the front entry door open, and then with that door closed? And what zone number is the front entry door?

I'm going to stick my neck out here and make a wild guess that the front entry door is zone 3.

Whetever zone it is, where is the EOL Resistor on that zone? What is each end of the resistor connected to?

Now this is just a wild shot-in-the-dark guess, but if the resistor for your entry door zone were connected straight across the zone terminals (for example, across 11 & 12 if it's zone 3), then you won't get a green Ready light unless the door is open. And of course, as I'm sure you know, the system won't accept the "Arm" command if it doesn't have a green Ready light. It will, however, accept Bypass and Chime and even Disarm commands.

But that's just a wild guess. If you can answer my questions, we'll go from there.

Old 09-23-10, 09:55 PM
Alright, I don't think this will be too tough to figure out, I hope. If the Front Entry Door (Zone 1) is closed, I get the ready light. Just like normal. So when the ready light is on, and i enter the code + any command nothing happens. But if I open the door, the ready light goes off, I can turn on chime, bypass, and disarm, etc. The last time I remember looking the EOL was on one of the terminals on the mother board. Let me know what other information I can provide you. Thanks.

Old 09-23-10, 10:11 PM
Update: So i just tried this. I opened up the door, bypassed Zone 1, armed the system, and then closed the door. Once the door was closed, I was not able to disarm it while the door was closed. Once I opened the door though, I could disarm it.

Old 09-24-10, 03:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This thing is the alarm equivalent of an old style VW Beetle, there really aren't that many options. If you have a ready light, [code] + [arming command] should arm it. Other commands, like turning the chime on and off are not dependent on the system being ready.

Go into programming and use the #xx command to double check the zone settings and make sure they match the zones as they are supposed to be.

Double check your wiring, and make sure that you don't have anything odd landed on the keypad bus connections.