newb question

Old 10-09-10, 04:38 AM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question newb question

Hey there,
I have a vista 15 with a ademco 6983 keypad. I moved into the home a year ago and decided I want to use it for local use only. At first i tried a bunch of simple codes that the prior home owner may have used and none of them worked ( of course). So, I found this forum. First before i unplugged anything I pressed # and * at the same time thinking that would get me into program mode. Well, it set off the alarm and it was blaring for about 10 minutes before my wife and I figured out how to cut the power to the darn thing. At first i pulled the AC plug and it still worked, then of course 10 minutes later I pulled the terminals from the battery. When i hooked everything back up it still alarmed but i pressed # and * within 50 second of the power being returned to the unit and I was able to get into program mode and get the installed code. I have not changed the code yet. I did notice something different. The front LCD is still illuminated but it no longer has any information, meaning typically if I open the front door it will pop up with 1 and not ready, also if i open the back door it will pop up with 2 not ready and so on. This information no longer displays. Is there a way to get this information to be displayed again. When I open the door the LED on the ready light still turns off which means to me that everything is still connected and it still sees that sensor.

I read the sticky and did not find anything that would help with this issue.

Old 10-09-10, 04:41 AM
X
And I did exit program mode with *99, allowing myself re entry. Maybe I have to set the time on my keypad. I did read that in the sticky, will that help?

Last edited by xurethanex; 10-09-10 at 04:56 AM.
Old 10-09-10, 03:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 117 Posts
6983 is the part number for the plastic shell on the keypad. The keypad is a 6160 or 6150.

I think that you are still in programming mode. Did you exit programming with *99?

Old 10-09-10, 03:35 PM
C
Received 43 Votes on 40 Posts
No, you don't need to set the time on your keypad for an Ademco. So far, from what you've told us, you have found your Installer Code. You still don't know a Master Code until you program one.

Installer Code + 8 + 02 + [4-digit New Master Code] will give you your Master Code. Don't try to use the same code as the Installer Code, the panel won't take it.

You may have found that the installer code works to operate the system--it isn't a User Code and using it like one falls in the category of Very Bad Ideas. Program in a Master Code ASAP or you can lock yourself out of your system inadvertantly.

After you've programmed your installer code, entering CODE + 9 (chime) will cause the doors/windows to chime when opened.

Your very next step is to use your favorite search engine and find "Ademco Vista-15 Installation Manual" and "Ademco Vista-15 User Manual". You may have to look through a few hits but you can download those manuals for free.

And btw, you don't have a 6983 keypad. That number on the inside of your keypad swing-down door is, I think, the ID for that piece of plastic. If you want to know your keypad's model number, you'll have to take the front off, and possibly backplate mounted to the wall to read it.

Old 10-09-10, 04:29 PM
X
Ok programmed a master code and now everything seems to be fine. I am going to be using the Stay mode more than anything. I armed the alarm in stay and i tried to open the front door to see what would happen. It took a very long time for the actual alarm to go off, so i have to update that.

Also for some reason or another I enabled the chime and it does not work. Any suggestions?

Old 10-09-10, 06:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Does the keypad make _any_ sounds? For 15p/20p panels, keypads can be set for silent mode, and it's not uncommon for the keypad piezo to simply fail.

Old 10-09-10, 09:18 PM
C
Received 43 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by xurethanex View Post
I armed the alarm in stay and i tried to open the front door to see what would happen. It took a very long time for the actual alarm to go off, so i have to update that.
If you armed the system and then immediately, you waited out both the exit and the entrance delays. So of course it took a long time. Try arming it in Stay, waiting out a minute to give the exit delay time to run out, and then opening the door. How long is the entry delay then?

Old 10-10-10, 03:43 AM
X
No it does not make any sounds at all.
So when i get home i will try
{CODE} *38 1
{CODE} *37 1
Sound* good

Also, i will wait a few minutes then give the alarm a shot and let you know how long it takes.

Thank you

Last edited by xurethanex; 10-10-10 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-10-10, 11:52 AM
X
Originally Posted by ChosunOne View Post
If you armed the system and then immediately, you waited out both the exit and the entrance delays. So of course it took a long time. Try arming it in Stay, waiting out a minute to give the exit delay time to run out, and then opening the door. How long is the entry delay then?
after letting the exit delay run out, (which i left for 2 minutes) I opened the door and the alarm took approx 30-45 seconds to go off. I will probably change that. Now only to get the keypad sound to work...if possible.

Old 10-10-10, 03:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
First, check the keypad address by holding 1 + 3 at the same time. If the address is 17+ then the keypad sound may be turned off in programming. If the address displayed is 16, then the keypad may have a bad sounder.

If the former, in go to program:
[installer code] + 8 +00
*190 1 0

It's not unusual for people to have keypads installed with the sounds turned off because they don't want to disturb house mates with the system sounds.

You _have_ done a websearch using the phrase "Vista 15p installer manual"? A lot of your questions are straight out of the manual.

Old 10-10-10, 05:35 PM
X
Originally Posted by MrRonFL View Post
First, check the keypad address by holding 1 + 3 at the same time. If the address is 17+ then the keypad sound may be turned off in programming. If the address displayed is 16, then the keypad may have a bad sounder.

If the former, in go to program:
[installer code] + 8 +00
*190 1 0

It's not unusual for people to have keypads installed with the sounds turned off because they don't want to disturb house mates with the system sounds.

You _have_ done a websearch using the phrase "Vista 15p installer manual"? A lot of your questions are straight out of the manual.
I have all the manuals. But imagine you had a manual on windows 7 but you never had any computer experience. It only helps so much. The answer may be in the manual but i might not know the right question. I honestly appreciate all the help you have given thus far.

I tried to hold 1 and 3 at the same time for 3 seconds and the LCD went to blinking dE and -
I am not sure what that means but it never gave me an address.

So, i am not sure what address the controller is on. I just want to get it to 16 somehow, if it is not there.

Old 10-11-10, 02:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ah, that means that your keypad is a 6150RF or 6160RF. It's a wireless receiver model.

Manual:
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/dow...05&prod_id=152

Remember, you aren't trying to change the keypad address, you are just checking the settings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: