How to disable power failure chime for an inactive Vector home security system?

Old 10-09-10, 08:31 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to disable power failure chime for an inactive Vector home security system?

We have an inactive Vector home security alarm that still chimes every time a window or door is opened. Ordinarily the system is fine as is, but when the power goes out it chirps 5 times once a minute. Last night the power didn't go out but that chime started at 2 a.m. UGG!!! I have tried many combinations of the code and 7+1 like it says to do to turn off the chime. All with no success. Vector will not give phone support w/out an active account and will charge over $120+ time for a home visit. I'm hoping to fix this on our own without such a large expense. PLEASE HELP! Thanks

Old 10-09-10, 09:53 AM
G
You mention "7+1" so I suspect you may have a Concord??

If so, you may be lumping Chime and Trouble Beeps in the same category. They are 2 different things. "Chime" is beeps when the chime feature is ON, and you hear 2 beeps when a door/window is open. (7+1 turns the Chime feature on or off, no need for a code entry). Trouble beeps are just that, something is wrong with the system. A series of quick beeps every couple of minutes. Simply hit the "*" key on the touchpad and it will tell you what is wrong.

Old 10-09-10, 10:17 AM
M
Out of control alarm and it's overtired owners...LOL

Thank you GEGuy. You are right, it is a Concord unit. Right now the beeping has stopped by turning off the breaker and removing the battery (thanks to my husband) so that we could put our toddler down for a nap. When she wakes up I'll see if I can get him to reconnect it and see if we can find out about an error code. In your opinion (by the way I appreciate your opinion/advice) do you think there will be a reset or some easy/quick fix once we see the message or more likely will a service call be necessary? I'm guessing it will really depend on what that message says but I thought I would just ask. I'm hoping it will be easy so we can do it ourselves!

Old 10-09-10, 03:44 PM
C
Received 71 Upvotes on 64 Posts
Most troubles are fixable by anyone willing to take the trouble to follow instructions. I personally would go to a lot of trouble to keep $120 in my pocket.

Just for future reference, if you look on your schematic/diagram inside the control panel door and find the terminals for the AC input, you can probably find the wires and follow them to the transformer powering your panel. Unplugging that transformer is usually less trouble that turning off a breaker and I don't know what-all else on the same outlet circuit.

Post back when you have the trouble/error display.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: