Safewatch Pro 2000 Low System Battery issue

Old 11-20-10, 09:01 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safewatch Pro 2000 Low System Battery issue

The main system battery on my system was just replaced in September. This week both keypads started to display "System Low Bat" and it notifies us every six hours of this condition.

I have checked the battery and it shows 13v, the battery fuse is also good.

1. Any idea why I'm getting this condition?

2. Is there a way to disable the notification? (I have a service call appointment but its not until December 2 and resetting the system every six hours is just a little annoying.)

I was told by ADT that I can power down the system until the service call but will the panel loose memory during that time?

The main key pad was recently replaced with a 6160V model and I'm wondering if it is drawing too much current - regular telephone four-conductor wire was used - could it be too small a guage?

FYI - what model is this really? The circuit board says "SA20ADT"
Thanks

Last edited by Roxie2401; 11-20-10 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-20-10, 01:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 250 Likes on 229 Posts
The SW2000 is a modified Vista 20se (partitioning is the main feature disabled).

Did you check the battery under load with AC power off?
No, there's no disable for the feature.
No, nothing gets lost from a power down.

While a new battery typically lasts about 5 years, sometimes you get a bad out of box unit.

Old 11-20-10, 03:18 PM
R
MrRonFL,

Thanks - what I did was to power down the system, disconnected the system battery and then removed the ac. Waited 60 seconds and powered up. "System Lo Bat" error disappeared and everything seems fine. Also, all sensors on this system are wireless so there is a wireless receiver in the metal cabinet and also a phone module. Could the new keypad plus all this other "stuff" have caused a problem with the system battery - or was this just a power scramble that confused the system and it cleared with the power-down/power-up sequence? (The new keypad is less than ten feet from the control cabinet - so I don't think lead length is an issue. The second keypad is about 30 feet away.)

Is the new keypad (6160V) supposed to be dark with the messages scrolling (Disarmed - Ready to Arm) constantly? When is the display supposed to light up? I was a little concerned that the new keypad was causing the problems.

I do have more keypad questions which I will ask here - but can start a new thread if you want.

The original system, installed in 1999, had one keypad - 6137. A second keypad, 6150 was added later. Both keypads used "31" non-addressable.

Recently, the 6137 (Main location) was replaced with the 6160V - also using address 31.

Questions:

1. Can I go into program mode and use *82 to add Alpha descriptors for the 6160v? And by using *82 will that leave all other Zone information (Type, Serial Number, etc) alone - in other words, I won't screw up the existing data for the zones by just adding the one to three word descriptors?

2. Will I have to change both keypads to Addressable (17 & 18) since the 6150 doesn't have the two line display or does it just ignore the Alpha information and both keypads still stay as "31?" Something sticks in my mind that the Safewatch 2000 doesn't use addressable keypads, only the 3000.

Sorry for so many question - but your help has always been on target and correct.

Thanks

Old 11-20-10, 07:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Nope, simply replacing the keypad would not cause the battery issue. Two keypads and a wireless receiver doesn't push anywhere near the limit.

Sometimes a poorly timed power failure can cause a low battery indication that doesn't clear for a day or so.

For this model, all keypads are in non-addressable mode (31).

Adding descriptors for the alpha keypad has no effect on the fixed keypads.

The backlighting on a 20se/SW2000 pretty much only comes on when the keypad is in use.

Old 11-21-10, 06:43 AM
R
Thanks. Its strange that the low system bat didn't clear - it went on for three days until I did the full power cycle. Is it worth killing the AC and seeing if the system battery can carry the load for an hour or so (going back to your original comment that it could be a bad "new" battery)?

Was I correct about entering the descriptors with *82 - that will not do any harm to the existing zone data (type, sn, etc.)?

Also, on my Safewatch 3000 with the 6160 - I don't remember the message "Disarmed, Ready to Arm" scrolling" but on this Safewatch 2000 the messages (Disarmed, & System Low Bat) do scroll.

Last question - I like to document everything - is there a field that I can read out that will show each zone's data - type, serial number, etc., for all the wireless sensors?

Thanks very much for the clarification.

Last edited by Roxie2401; 11-21-10 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-21-10, 09:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
No, the zone descriptor programming has no effect on zone settings.

Here, reading the installer manual may help you with some of your questions:

http://www.alarmworks.com/files/adem...on/v20seii.pdf

Let us know if there's any concepts or terminology that are confusing

Old 11-21-10, 03:18 PM
R
Thanks - Got all the Alpha descriptors programmed, even a couple of custom words "Stay" "Away" etc. - worked great.

Had read the manual but was confused about the *56 Zone Programming menu. It looks like what I need is the "Summary Display" and the "Confirmed Serial Number" screens. The summary seems straight forward, but since I will still need the serial number, can I just keep pressing "*" to step through all the existing entries without changing them to get to the serial number screen and then can I exit out?

Any thought on that battery load testing - turn the AC off and see if the battery condition reappears?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I just answered that - the system just went into "System Lo Bat" again, after working fine for about 36 hours. I took both the battery and AC off - then just added the battery - got a "Busy Standby" message - then Lo Bat. Strange it seemed to happen at 6:00 again.

Took the battery off, waited, added AC and Battery and system is ok now.

At this point I don't know if its a bad battery or the battery charging circuit - which probably means a new panel??

Last edited by Roxie2401; 11-21-10 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-21-10, 07:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, the correct way to field test a battery is to take the voltage reading under load with the ac power removed.

Yes, stepping through the *56 settings with the alpha keypad is how you view the transmitter serial numbers.

Old 11-22-10, 10:34 AM
R
MrRon,

Took the battery to a battery store for testing - measured 13+ volts - no load, but as soon as a load was applied the voltage dropped to 12, 11, 10, 9 volts. This was supposed to be a new battery installed on September 22 - but when I took a close look at the battery, it was all scuffed up, was from Radio Shack and someone had written in black marker "Good" on the top. This makes me think it was removed from another system, put in the tech's truck and considered good for reuse. New battery wasn't cheap either.

Does the panel trickle charge the system battery? In other words, with the battery removed, should I be able to measure voltage on the red and black battery leads below the fuse?

Just curious - after reapplying power, I get a "Standby - Busy D1 (or maybe it was D0)" display, then it goes into "Disarmed - ready to arm."

What is the significance of the D1 (or D0) - couldn't find any reference to that in the manual you provided. Also, I have never had a problem entering the programming mode so I don't think this means local programming is locked out. I do get a "Busy - Standby" right after entering the programming mode and then Field 20. Just want to know what this "Busy with the D1 or D0 means.

Thanks for sticking with me on this - new keypad with Zone descriptors works well, new battery work (but I will watch it for a few days to see if I get a Low Bat error before canceling the service call) and really appreciate your help.

Last edited by Roxie2401; 11-22-10 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-22-10, 05:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
D1's the indication of the 50 second window to enter programming with the * + # method. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Yes, the system charges the battery. That's why you read 13V when AC power is applied, even with a weak battery (which is what it sounds like you got.).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: