GE Simon XT sensor "failure"

Old 12-07-10, 12:08 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Simon XT sensor "failure"

I have two GE Simon XTs--one in the house and one in the garage for a recording studio I built in there. Lately it's been beeping 6 times "trouble beeps" (alerting me to a failure according to the manual) and when I press the status button, the simon XT says "Back Door Failure" or "Office Failure."

What does this mean exactly and how can I fix it? Sometimes the beeps come back after 4 hours (according to the manual: "Trouble beeps resume 4 hours later if the trouble condition is not cleared."). And sometimes I wake up, press the status button and it says "System OK" meaning communication with the sensor has resumed for some reason.

Should I get new sensors? Could it be the battery in the Simon XT?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-10, 12:30 PM
G
Sounds like you are on the "edge" as far as wireless range of that device. It's not a bad sensor (because the problem clears itself every so often), not is it a battery issue (you'd get a "low battery" condition if it were). My guess is that while the sensor is sitting there with the door not being opened/closed, it's supervisory rounds (3 every hour) are unable to reach the panel (thus causing the trouble condition). When you open/close the door manually, this sends 8 rounds of data to the XT, of which, maybe only a couple rounds are being heard by the panel (but enough to satisfy the system). Solutions....Move panel closer to sensor (if possible)...widen out the panel's RF Timeout setting to 36 hours (In TIMERS menu of installer programming)...add a repeater...

What kind of door window sensor is it (some transmit better than others)?

Old 12-07-10, 08:39 PM
S
Thanks for the response. I had someone install the system so I'm not sure the model # but they are the sensors with the magnets.

I should add that the failure on the Simon XT in the garage, happens on sensors that are in the house. Vice Versa, The Simon XT in the house, tells me that the sensor in the garage is failing.

The sensor for the garage door is even further away however and it does not "fail" however. Strange.

Questions:
1. I have a couple of GE Choice Alert repeaters from my old alarm system. Would these work? Or does it have to be a specific frequency?

2. What effect will "widen out the panel's RF Timeout setting to 36 hours" have on the system? Shorten battery life for example?

Old 12-13-10, 07:16 PM
S
UPDATE:

Just wanted to let everyone know that I moved my Simon XT away from my wireless internet router and my "failure" errors went away. Apparently the router was interfering with the Simon XT. Hopefully the errors will not pop up again.