Vista 20P - adding glass break and/or shock and additional motion sensors

Old 12-10-10, 09:42 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vista 20P - adding glass break and/or shock and additional motion sensors

I have a Vista 20P with standard hard-wired magnetic contacts at the windows. Yesterday my house was broken into. They got through a window and the alarm didn't go off until they got in the back room where the motion detector is (we currently have only 1 motion detector). I would like to add glass break or shock sensors to the windows and add additional motion sensors.

I'm wondering if anyone could give me some good advice how to proceed? I did some looking around and I see "ademco honeywell asc-ss1" and also "sentrol 5150"

I'm not sure if these are good or even compatible. I am also not sure if I can add these to the EOL or create new zones for them? Same questions for adding additional motion detectors, do they need to be added on a new zone or could they be added to the existing one?

If someone could push me in the right direction, then I could do more research but right now I have no clue on the best way to proceed. THANKS!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-10, 07:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 95 Posts
With motions, it's always best to put motions on separate zones, otherwise, it's impossible to sort out the inevitable false trips you get with mutiple motions.

If they got in by breaking out the glass so that they didn't have to open the window frame, then yes, glassbreaks can help. This is one of the those instances where adding a wireless receiver and using wireless devices is probably your most cost/labor effective solution.

Old 12-10-10, 08:02 PM
F
Thanks for the response. That makes perfect sense to put each motion on its own zone.

Let's say I want to go ahead and hard-wire the glass break sensors, do they also need to be on their own zones? For example, if I currently have 4 zones with windows, would I just add another 4 zones for the glass break sensors, using 22/2 wire?

Also, do you know if either "ademco honeywell asc-ss1" or "sentrol 5150" would work?

I don't quite understand how the wired glass break sensors would attach to a window that moves up and down. I could wire it to the top pane that doesn't move but the bottom pane might hit it when I slide the window up.

Thanks!

Old 12-11-10, 06:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
For hard wiring, the ideal is to home run each drop back the main control location. In your case, I'd recommend using a zone expander, which does give the flexibility to be remotely located (you run a 4 conductor to the expander, and wire the actual zone drops from the expander location)

Piezo shock sensors like the models you are citing are basically all the same. They are all using the same basic technology, so buy the one that's on sale, or the one that's most aesthetically pleasing.

Piezo shocks aren't really intended for double hung windows, they are intended to protect fixed windows. If the windows have muntins, piezos are even less useful because they really only protect the piece of glass that they are attached to. Acoustic glass breaks are a better choice for this type of situation. One acoustic will cover a whole 15-20 foot wall of windows.

Old 12-11-10, 05:31 PM
F
Thanks again for the advice.

The Vista 20P documentation talks about double-balanced zones and zone doubling which I thought would allow me to add additional zones at the panel (without an expander). Is this true, or do I need to purchase a zone expander?

My main control panel is in a central location, so if I do need an expander, I'm guessing I would put it in right next to the main panel.

I currently have 6 zones using terminals 12 thru 20. The EOL resistors are in the box. Here is a picture of what I've got:

I'm planning to add a smoke detector to terminals 8/9

Could I add the zone extender to terminals 10/11 and then run all my additional zones from the extender? For each zone, I would run 2 conductor to the window(s) and then back to the extender. Is that how it works?

Thanks again for your help!!

Old 12-11-10, 09:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Zone doubling is a viable choice, however, read through the manual carefully. Once you have the zone doubling resistor kit, it's not _that_ tough, but you have to be careful to not get the resistor values screwed up.

If you want to use an actual zone expander, that device would be wired to the _keypad_ connections, then you wire the new zone wiring to the expander board.

Again, you have to read through the installer manual. Ademco style panels aren't that tough, but it's not intuitive, you can't just guess at it.

Old 12-12-10, 07:24 AM
F
Thanks again. Your advice is extremely useful.

One last thing. I notice that Ademco also has vibration contacts that can be placed on the window frames, like this one:

Have you had experience with these? Are they just as effective as the glassbreak acoustic sensors? To me, it seems that if a window is hit hard enough to break glass, there should be sufficient vibration to set these off.

And if I were to use these, is it possible to just add them to the existing zones? Essentially, they would be placed right next to the existing magnetic contacts at each window, so could I just run wire from the magnetic contact to the new vibration contact just inches away?

Old 12-12-10, 07:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Can't say. These are a pretty old tech (think swinging pendulum switch, like a teeny version of a pinball maching tilt switch). It's a normally closed device that doesn't need power, so you could wire it in series with your existing contact.

You know your environment.

Old 12-13-10, 01:14 PM
F
I did some research and I think I have a good understanding of zone doubling. I just need to get some wire and resistors. I think I will give it a shot this weekend.

Just one more question (I know I keep saying that) I am adding additional Aurora PIR motion detectors, do you know if they require 2 or 4 wires? If they require 4 (for power) how do I connect all the additional power wires to the terminal? (in other words, is there a limit to the number of wires I can connect to a terminal?)

Thanks again!!

Old 12-13-10, 04:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Motions are 4 wire devices. You connect the power for the motions to the same terminals that power the keypads. Generally if I have more than about 4 things needing power, I use a heavier gauge wire (16 gauge stranded) to make a wire nut pigtail or a terminal strip.