Ademco - Move keypad to new location, system appears dead

Old 02-05-11, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ademco - Move keypad to new location, system appears dead

Hello,

We recently added an extension on our house. We ran a wire from where the old backdoor keypad was to where the keypad would move too. We are finally ready to move the keypad.

I carefully removed the keypad from the back door, then attached the wires from the keypad to the new wire running to the extension (red-red, blk-blk, grn-grn, yel-yel). We then hooked up the keypad to the new location attaching the blk to the blk terminal, red to red etc.

The system though appeared dead. No sensors worked, no lights, nothing on the keypad. Do we need to reboot the system or do something else to turn it back on.

Part of our trouble shooting that we have done so was to remove the keypad and disconnect the new yellow and green wires from the old, however, when we go to disconnect the black or red (power I believe), the system starts to beep madly and the sensors and front door keypad flash on an off a couple of times.

Any advice on what we should do?

System:
Ademco Vista-15
Keypad model : 6128 (2- front door / back door)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-11, 02:20 PM
Update on problem. I took the chance of completely reverting back to where we were, with the keypad hooked back to the original wires.

The keypad check 09 message is on and both keypads furiously beeped for about 4 minutes then the beeping stopped. The check 09 message is still there. Any way to find out what the issue is to give Check 09.

We also checked the new wire that the contractor had put in for us, and it appears that it is entirely shorted out. Which leads me to believe we might have damaged our system. By shorted out, it appears that all the wires are connected together.

Old 02-05-11, 02:34 PM
With some more digging around, we managed to clear the Check 09 message. We are back with a working system. Next will be to replace the new wire and try again.

Old 02-05-11, 07:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
Power the system down before you break or make keypad connections. Hot swapping keypads on ademco systems can damage the keypad, the motherboard, or both.