General smoke alarm questions for my home

Old 03-02-11, 10:37 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
General smoke alarm questions for my home

Hi-

The smoke detectors in my home are reaching 10 years of age this year, and my understanding is that they should be replaced around this time. All of the detectors in my home are hardwired with battery back-up and if one goes off, they all go off.

I have a NOV 2009 issue of Consumer Reports, and they rated the Kiddie combination KN-COSM-B relatively well as an ionization product with a combined CO detector. I was thinking of putting a photoelectric detector in, too, so that I would have a combination of photoelectric and ionization detectors in close proximity as our bedrooms and connecting hallway are probably within 20 feet of each other.

Anyway, is that Kiddie model mentioned above still pretty good or are there better detectors out there? Also, can anyone recommend a good dual sensor model (ionization/photoelectric) that can replace the existing hard wired models in my home? I assume all hardwired models can "talk" to each other in that if one goes off, they all go off?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-11, 04:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
It's been two years since that CR issue, but really, for hardwired smoke alarms, any of the major brands (Kidde, BRK, First Alert, etc.) will work just fine.

As long as you have existing interconnect wiring, they will work just fine.

In general, it's better to stick with a single brand and model series. I've never seen a mix _not_ work, but why take chances?

Old 03-05-11, 01:56 PM
U
Originally Posted by MrRonFL View Post
It's been two years since that CR issue, but really, for hardwired smoke alarms, any of the major brands (Kidde, BRK, First Alert, etc.) will work just fine.

As long as you have existing interconnect wiring, they will work just fine.

In general, it's better to stick with a single brand and model series. I've never seen a mix _not_ work, but why take chances?
OK, thanks Mr. Ron. I'll stick with the Kiddie's that were well received by Consumer Reports.

Old 03-12-11, 05:24 PM
R
Def go with all photoelectric

Old 03-17-11, 10:32 AM
B
I did an experiment on the 2 different types of smoke detectors, photo electric and ionization. I filled a shed with smoke, caused by a soldering gun inside a piece of foam, similar to a cigarette left burning on the couch. THERE WAS A 8 MINUTE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 2!!! Photoelectric detected the fire 8 minutes faster than the ionization!!! Thatís life or death. Go with photoelectric/