DSC power 832 "SMOKE" remains in "open (O)" state!

Old 05-08-11, 12:56 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC power 832 "SMOKE" remains in "open (O)" state!

Hi, I have just moved into a new house with an existing DSC power 832 alarm. I cannot arm the system as the "smoke" zone remains in the open state. I have tried to bypass, but system won't allow it? Is this possible to bypass for a temporary measure. The smoke detector is 4-wire with a 5.6k ohm resistor with the RED light permanently on. Not sure this is wired up correctly. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Ian

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-11, 07:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
Is the resistor wired in series with the zone wiring (wrong) or in parallel across the alarm contact of the last smoke in the series?

Also, since these are 4-wire smoke, if they were properly installed, there's an end of line relay at the last smoke. Either the power for the smokes is failed, or the relay itself may have.

Old 05-09-11, 05:20 PM
if the LED is on, as stated- then it has power.

have you tried to reset it?

either remove it from the base. ( mounting ring )

or... try star 72 ( *72 )

its possible, that it may reset using *73, *74 or *71

also- there should be a button on the keypad/s that are for reseting the smokes

the older keypads say "reset"
if they are the new style keypads, they could have a little round looking circle thats arrows, chasing each other. 2nd from the bottom. some of the new ones also say reset

this removes power from the smoke to re-set it- if it doesn't then the smoke is bad.

Old 02-25-14, 06:31 PM
J
DSC 832 Smoke Detector Stuck in Open "O" State - How to Troubleshoot?

When replacing a light switch a few days ago, I accidentaly cycled the breaker that controls power to my DSC Power 832 System. Since then, I have been unable to "Secure Power Before Arming" because the Smoke Detector remains in the Open state.

I've tried several methods to resolve this (Pressing the "reset" button, trying *72, and removing the 4-wire Smoke from its connections on the ceiling). None of these attempts has allowed me to secure the system because the smoke detector remains in the Open state.

When I reconnect the smoke detector, I notice that the red LED blinks every 10 seconds, which tells me that the sensor is getting power and hasn't failed (maybe a bad assumption). What are some other troubleshooting methods I can try? - Thanks

Old 02-25-14, 08:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
Actually, going from on solid (active alarm) to blinking reset the smoke, so you should be able to enter your code and clear the alarm and get back to ready to arm.

Have you checked that the zone is actually connected? If the smoke was tripped, someone may have simply disconnected the zone wires from the alarm control so they could shut the siren up.