DSC Alarm Woes

Old 08-22-11, 02:01 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC Alarm Woes

I have what appears to be a familiar story. I just bought a new house with a 5 year old DSC alarm system. The seller left the Instruction, Installation and Programming Worksheet Manuals but they are devoid of information and I have no access codes. On our walk through, we noted that the ready light was on the armed light was off and the trouble light was on. The seller explained this by saying that he had "removed the phone line" from the main control panel so the trouble light was lit as a result. He said we could simply sign up for our own monitoring and when the company reconnected the phone line all would be well.

We ignored the system for the last month until it started beeping late one night last week. We, unwittingly, fumbled with the keypad to silence the beeps so we could sleep and were able to quiet it down. I discovered later that this was, I believe, a low battery warning. At any rate, the funnier part of the story is that, apparently we armed the system in the process and set off the alarm the next morning when we left for work. I attempted to reprogram the master code but I don't believe that was successfully done, although afterwords you could, probably 70% of the time, avoid the alarm going off by repeatedly entering the "new" master code and by "repeatedly" I mean like 7 or 8 times in succession. I also attempted to delete all of the old access codes. After a little over a day of this, I finally disconnected the battery and the AC from the main panel pending straightening everything out.

This is what I have: a DSC Power 832 system with a PC 5010 Main Panel and four LCD 5501Z keypads. There are also two Optex RX-40PI motion sensors that appear to be hard wired.

The keypads initially were showing the ready and trouble lights on and the armed light off. After we monkeyed around with the keypad, the ready light was off and the armed and trouble lights are on. If you do the *2 procedure the trouble codes which appear are 3 & 4, which seems to make some sense in light of the seller's comments. There are also a large alternating 1 & 7 which appear over the words "Alarm" at the bottom of the display. The display also shows the words "Away" and "Chime."

My questions are as follows:

1. From an overall standpoint, what would be the best approach to sort this all out? Replace the back up battery and reprogram the master and access codes?

2. Should the back up battery be replaced with what was there, which was a 4.0 Ah or would a 7.0 Ah be a better choice?

3. What would be the best way to reprogram the master code and then establish new access codes?

4. Finally, and I realize this is also a very general question but, being a newbie to alarm systems, how are they typically used? What is a comfortable delay for getting in and getting out? How do you disable a zone with motion sensors when you want the alarm on, for example, but you don't want your seven year old to set if off when he wakes up at 4:00 AM and makes a run for the bathroom? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time in responding.

Old 08-22-11, 07:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 116 Votes on 107 Posts
Actually, there is a _lot_ of information in those manuals. The trick is, that they are not like a typical consumer electronics manual. They can't give you step by step info, because _all_ alarm installations are custom.

These are really reference manuals, and you have to use the program sheet manual _with_ the installer manual, or else neither really makes sense.

Exactly what did you do to try to change the master user code?
Have you attempted to default the system?

By your description, the system is now armed in away mode.

Old 08-23-11, 09:41 AM
W
I entered *5555 and atempted to enter a new four digit code to change the master code. I then attempted to delete all prior access codes by selecting each number from 1 to 32 and entering * as described in the manual. On further review, I found that the manual does state that the default master code is 40 for whatever that is worth.

I have not attempted to default the system as I was hoping to not have to do so in order to keep the original programming, less a new master code and access codes anyway.

I have eight zones, it appears, and zone 7 is the zone for the upstairs and downstairs motion detectors.

What do you make of the 3 & 4 trouble codes? The half dozen or so alarm companies that I spoke to uniformly said that they saw no reason why the former owner would be doing anything in the control panel and the monitoring could have been halted by simply calling the alarm company and discontinuing the service. What do you think?

What do you make of the alternating larger numbers 1 and 7 on the display?

Do you believe that defaulting the system is the best way to straighten everything out?

Thanks.

Old 08-23-11, 07:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
5555 is the default _installer_ code not the _master user code_.

If the system is not armed, and the installer code is still at the default, there is a way to change the master code from installer programming.

By what you have described to me, the sequence you described changed exactly nothing. Your original user code should still be valid.

In order to get rid of the failure to communicate and telephone line failure codes (the 3 & 4) You have to go into system programming and turn off the communicator and telephone line monitor features (see the FAQ sticky titled "Alarm Forum FAQ (Please read before posting)")

The system is displaying the two zones you tripped into alarm.

Old 08-24-11, 09:19 AM
W
Thanks. What would be your suggestions as to the best way to proceed to get my system functioning again?

Old 08-24-11, 10:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
First, check and see if your old user code still disarms the system.

Then see if the default installer code accesses programming (this only works if the system is disarmed)

If the default code doesn't go to program, then the only choice you have is a default, but you really need to get comfortable with the manuals before you try that route.

Old 08-26-11, 11:13 AM
W
I never had a user code. I only had the default master code. Any other method to delete access codes and install a new one while the system is armed?

Old 08-26-11, 05:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If the code you had armed and disarmed the system, then that was the master _user_ code.

If that code only accessed programming, then it was the installer code.

If the installer code was still at the default, did you _try_ the default master code (1234)?

Old 08-29-11, 09:52 AM
W
My manual states that 40 is the default master code. I have not tried 1234. I contacted the seller and asked him what access codes he was using and his response was that the "main" code for the system was 9289. I haven't tried this yet. I'm not totally sure what he means by "main." I made a second request for him to disclose all of his access codes but, as of yet, I have no response.

At any rate, the earlier code I was using never really disarmed the system to my thinking. The armed light continued to stay lit. It did stop the control panel from beeping and prevented the alarm from going off but I have not been able to disarm the system...short of disconnnecting the power as I did. Would I be able to do anything in terms of changing master or access codes until I am able to disarm the system?

Thanks again for your help.

Old 08-29-11, 11:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
9289 was, most likely the master code. Outside of commercial installations, I rarely see people set any codes beyond the initial master code.

As long as the system is armed, no, you cannot do anything with it other than a full hardware default (which I don't recommend at your current knowlege and skill level).

Again, all of this info is in the manual section on keypad commands.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: