What System Is Right For Me

Old 08-30-11, 08:44 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What System Is Right For Me

Hi all,

I have a detached garage that's about 75' away from the house that I need to put an alarm system in after a recent break in/theft (of course). The garage is two stories, 1000 sf on each level. There are 2 entry doors, 3 windows and 4 garage doors on the lower level, and one entry door and 6 windows on the upper level, but the windows on the second level are not easily accessible. Two of the lower level garage doors are used for our cars, the other two are only used when I need to take lawn equipment out.

I'd like to skip the window sensors and maybe even door sensors on both levels and just install motion sensors throughout the entire interior, as I think this is the best way to go. I don't want to install cameras either, I don't they'll do any good. I live in a residential area, houses are close on each side, so a loud siren should be enough.

My driveway is about 100' long, so we (my wife and I, no children) use the remote built into our cars from the factory to open our respective garage door as we're turning into the driveway. Is there an alarm system that will accommodate that? Can I get an alarm system that is only armed with interior motion sensors that will allow us to open our garage door and then allow us the time to get into the garage and disarm the system before the alarm goes off?...and then automatically rearm itself after a period of time? My needs are simple (so I think), but the systems I've been finding are far more complex.

I may consider expanding the system to include the house, but we've got three Labs with hair trigger ears, so the house is somewhat safe. I live in a neighborhood that is very safe, very very low crime, so I'm not really worried about the house. I had an expensive bicycle stolen, nothing else, so I think someone targeted me for my bike. In a 1000 sf garage, I have a lot of hand tools, yard tools, and much more, but they just took my Trek bicycle. I want to put something in that will deter something like this from happening again.

Thanks

Old 08-30-11, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Hi,

I am not a alarm guy but others will ask....How did they get in to steal the bike??

This answer alone may get you better feedback.

Mike NJ

Old 08-31-11, 07:23 PM
L
They tunneled in from a field 382' away. The tunnel had full electric and ventilation throughout. They put trolley tracks in, and with the trolley, the tunnel was exactly 42.5" high. My bike in the trolley measured 42". They recessed the lighting so the bike wouldn't hit the lights.

What does it matter? I'd just like some recommendations on what type of system to buy. Judging by the lack of response to my questions, I guess the members of this site considers my questions to be unworthy of a reply.

Thanks

Old 08-31-11, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Well I am very sorry you seem offended. And I am sorry your bike got stolen.

But a simple question on how they stole the bike does'nt warrant that silly paragraph.

Although it reminds me of The Great Escape, with Steve Mcqeen. Thanks for the flash back....

But I was just trying to ask if they went through the door? A window?

Most thiefs IMO will go in the same way as they did the first time. So If a door, possible you may just focus on securing it better.

And anyway you already have a alarm IMO. Stick one of the Lab's in there when you go away......Hmmm

And if your trying to turn it around and make me look like a fool for asking that question, because maybe you left the door open, "It aint gonna work".....

And you only asked the question yesterday.. Do you know that the east coast has been hit by a "HURRICANE". Most people still have no electric, shelter, etc.....

Be alittle more respectful.

Good luck.

Mike NJ

Old 09-01-11, 05:55 PM
L
Mike, I didn't mean to offend (and I wasn't offended by your post), my comment was strictly tongue in cheek, I was not trying to make you look idiotic or inane. If it brought back a memory of The Great Escape, and brought a smile to your face, the silly paragraph was worth typing.

They came in through a window. I doubt a locked door/window would've stopped them though. I was targeted, they came for one thing only. Both cars in the garage, with the windows down and keys in them, had money in the ashtrays, and one had GPS in the glovebox. They didn't touch either car, and they didn't touch any of the Snap On tools scattered on the workbench from a recent brake job. There are also power tools, lawn equipment, and many other goodies throughout the garage, but my bike was the only thing taken. My wife's bike was right next to mine, it's not a cheapy, but it's not as expensive as mine, yet they only took my bike.

I should have put an alarm system in the garage a long time ago, but as I said, I (felt) this was a very safe neighborhood. I've lived here for over 30 years and this has never happened before, to me or anyone else on the street.

I'm aware of Irene and the damage it caused, I'm an east coast resident as well, but not as close as you (if Mike NJ means New Jersey). I live in PA, we didn't have electricity for 2 days.

I thought about putting the Labs in the garage, but considering they're such momma's boys, I'd have to put the wife out there with them. She's meaner than the dogs, so I doubt she'll make the sacrifice.

I've been researching alarm systems and have narrowed it down to two, the DSC Alexor and the Visonic PowerMax Pro. I'm now trying to determine which one is best for my needs.

Joe

Old 09-01-11, 07:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
I would go with the DSC. It's based on their well tested Power Series hardware. Their manuals have a bit of a learning curve to get used to their nomenclature and layout, but once you get the first bits of programming done, it's pretty easy to follow.

Put at least one actual door contact on the door you normally come in through. Although all motion detector systems will work, they never work well.

Old 09-02-11, 05:49 AM
L
Hi MrRon, thanks for the reply. I was 100% sold on the Alexor until I called Home Security Store dot com to ask some questions before ordering. They're the ones who steered me to the Visonic Pro. I will probably expand the system to include the house at a later date, and I was told the DSC motion sensors won't work with the dogs. They roam the house when we're not home, and two of them are over 85lbs. He said the curtain PIR made by Visonic could be installed and configured in a way that it would't see the dogs. The Visonic also has the ability to send text/email messages via a regular phone line, unmonitored, which is something that can't be done with the Alexor. Another plus for the Visonic is it's X-10 compatible.

Now that I've thought this through a little more, I plan on putting a door sensor on both of the entry doors on the lower level, and one on the entry door on the second floor. I'll also put one motion sensor on the upper level and two in the lower level.

One reason I'm a bit hesitant to buy the Visonic is I can't find much feedback from people who have their system. I've found a lot of good reviews on the DSC system, and your comment reinforces that even more. Do you know much about Visonic, do they make a good product that will hold up over time?

Last edited by Lonstar; 09-02-11 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-02-11, 11:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Visonic has made motion detectors and glassbreaks and other security devices for years. Only in the last few years have they started marketing their own wireless system.

I've looked over their configuration interface and looked at commentary from other installers. Unless their specific features are a deal maker for you. I still lean to the DSC (bearing in mind that I'm not all that fond of _any_ of the all in one unit designs...)

Old 09-02-11, 08:56 PM
L
Is there any way to use a motion sensor in the house with a DSC system, short of blocking the dogs from going into the areas the sensor would cover?

Old 09-02-11, 10:08 PM
M
I certainly agree with MrRon that all-in-one systems are not the best way to go. A thought came to mind that when he said that, it might have been a bit of an understatement.

You have a 100' driveway. A TWO story 2000 sq ft garage!! You are doing quite well. I'm guessing your house is huge. No matter how safe your neighborhood is now, you should stay ahead of potential problems. I'd think you'd like to know absolutely for sure that when you come home, nobody unwanted could be waiting. It's also comforting to know which windows and doors may have been left open as you leave. I know you have dogs. I love dogs and I wouldn't want anything to happen to mine.

With the kind of digs you live in, you should have some serious security IMO. That means no all-in-one panels and you shouldn't make self limiting moves by getting a panel that only supports a few zones. You indeed might later want to secure the house as well as the garage and at least have the option of installing cameras.

JMHO, but please think about something rather high end. MrRon was suggesting a DSC. I'm not a DSC guy, but they have some high end units (the 4020 is one I believe). I use Ademco products and I'd suggest a vista-50 as minimum for a joint like yours

You can use motion sensors with careful placement, masking and use of accessory lens kits. I use Honeywell dual tecs. Take care to examine the field of view specs for the lens kits. Motions can be tricky, but you can make them work.

In closing, the DSC or Honeywell/Ademco systems with the works in enclosures and separate keypads offer real security and anyone living like you are shouldn't mess around with an AIO system like what comes with $99 or "free installation" offers. JMHO

Old 09-03-11, 06:43 AM
L
Whoa, you got me all wrong! I wish I had the huge house/fancy digs, but I don't. I can barely keep up with the taxes and heating/cooling costs of the pile of bricks I live in now, I couldn't imagine having something big and fancy.

The house is a 1900 sq ft, 3 story brick home built in the 1924. I live in a typical middle class neighborhood, the houses are all about 30' from the street. It just so happens my detached garage sits 80' back from the house, so the driveway is 140' long from the street to the garage. I was estimating earlier when I said the garage was 75' and the driveway 100', I measured it yesterday to know exactly what it was.

I was a mechanic for a few years way back when, so I enjoy tinkering in the garage. The original garage was a small 2 car garage that was always too full to park a car in, so in 2004 I tore it down and built a bigger one. I used a circular saw, a reciprocating saw, and a BFH (big f'n hammer) to cut/break/smash the old garage to pieces I could carry, and threw the whole thing in a dumpster. I'm not a construction guy, I had very little experience with hammer and nails, but with a lot of help from friends that do, I built my 'garage-mahal' as my friends call it. It's two stories because I figured since I'm building it myself, the additional cost to add a second story was minimal (relatively speaking). Having an additional 1000 sq ft of storage space for a pack rat like me has been great, although with all the extra space, I never can find something when I need it.

I agree with you and MrRon, I don't like the all in one design either. I really like the DSC system, I just wish it had some of the features Visonic offers. When considering all the features the Visonic has over the DSC, I really don't care about X-10 and partitioning, and although it would be nice to get a text/email if the alarm goes off, that's not a deal breaker for the DSC. The big one is the motion sensors in the house. If I can't use one, that means a lot more money will need to be spent for window sensors. The house has 14 windows on the first floor, and 5 windows that are porch roof accessible on the second floor.

If I know that I can somehow make a DSC compatible motion sensor work in the house with the dogs, I'd buy the DSC right now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: