Kicked ADT in the face, now what, newbie needs help

Old 09-12-11, 10:15 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Kicked ADT in the face, now what, newbie needs help

I am a complete newby with alarm industry and here as well. i have a bunch of questions as this is an unchartered territory for me but i am ready and willing to follow you the trailblazers to implement my system.

i have finally kicked A*T out of my home and am ready to move on to a less costly service. phew what relief! i have the 30 days cancellation of service issued to A*T. i was on a month basis, i own my equipment and i have it's installer, master and all codes. it's a DSC1555 (old i know but still serves me well) i am watching my budget so i don't want to invest in another system

1-i am wondering if A,T can mess with/change my installer code perhaps through the phone line as it's still connected to them before the 30 days are out?

2-the monitoring service i am considering for $8.95 sent me this statement
"Our GSM Dialer will not work with Contact ID which is what the DSC1555 uses. Can you tell me if it has the option to call your cell phone instead of the CMS? Basically, if it can make a regular voice call, then our GSM Dialer will work."

How can i establish this?

3-i want to cut the phone and use GSM cellular monitoring. i want to invest in a universal dialer that i can move to, and can work with any company of my choice. but i don't know which one. please recommend a common popular one that will connect with my DSC1555.

the monitoring company is offering me a GSM dialer which he confirms will not work with Contact ID which is what the DSC1555 uses. alternatively i have a good deal on ebay for an Uplink DigiCell 1500 and a DigiCell 2500 Alarm Transmitters.
4- can these connect to my system?
5- do you know if the uplink digicells uses a data channel to communicate or does it send the signal the same way as a regular phone call is made?
6- which would be better to invest in their gsm dialer or uplink digicell, or which other one other than these options?

7-for celullar monitoring from your experience which sim card is cost effective that i should be looking to buy?

8-what is the best rate for celullar monitoring? please provide a link.

thanx all in advance
P/S
IF u need various alarm systems installer codes just google nextalarm.com installer codes or pm me i will send u a google link.

Old 09-12-11, 07:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 111 Posts
Change the downloading access code in programming location 403. That locks out their download software.

No, the PC1555 cannot make a normal call. The best you can do is pager format.

I find it odd that your potential new provider's solution doesn't work with CID, being that it's the closest thing to a universal format out there for security alarms

-i want to cut the phone and use GSM cellular monitoring. i want to invest in a universal dialer that i can move to, and can work with any company of my choice. but i don't know which one. please recommend a common popular one that will connect with my DSC1555.
Sorry, but there's really no such critter. There are a number of GSM setups that will do _some_ of what you want, but none that do _all_ of it; but most of them are tied to one service or the other. The Uplink units, for example, require the use of an Uplink dealer.

Basically, the alarm industry is very slow to change, and security system communications are behind the curve of modern communication trends (remember, all of this stuff goes through the UL listing process, which is slow and expensive; but without it, the insurance companies will not cover losses for properly installed systems).

Old 09-13-11, 09:11 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would consider Rokonet Universal GSM as a real universal GSM that you can connect to any system. It would simulate the landline using your SIM card. so If the security panel can communicate to your CMS using landline, it will definitely communicate using Rokonet GSM as CMS will not even know that was a GSM dialer and not landline.

For SIM card, I would recommend Tmobile as you can buy it for $10 with validity of 3 months. It gives approx. 30 minutes. 1 minute is used when security panel communicates to CMS. Within 3 months you would hardly use 10 - 15 minutes including any false/test alarm. So for 1 year, it would cost $40 for cellular communication.

This is what I am using with my concord 4.

Old 09-13-11, 12:40 PM
B
Thanx!

I disconnected the phone line, i don't exactly trust ADT.
I will google and change the installer and other codes as well. i will revert.

Old 09-13-11, 12:51 PM
B
BTW i have been offered to upgrade as follows
2 PK5501 keypads @$29 each
1 CONTROL panel 1616 @ $19
Total $77
they can use everything else

bottomline i was not wanting to spend a new system. while mine is functional albeit older. but i am wondering if this would be considered a do-not-pass deal?

Old 09-13-11, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by bambata View Post
BTW i have been offered to upgrade as follows
2 PK5501 keypads @$29 each
1 CONTROL panel 1616 @ $19
Total $77
they can use everything else

bottomline i was not wanting to spend a new system. while mine is functional albeit older. but i am wondering if this would be considered a do-not-pass deal?
Who is quoting this? Nextalarm? At those prices it is at or below wholesale. Are they just going to mail it out to you for you to install? Personally, I would run from any company that cannot utilize CID. You would be better suited with a Telguard TG1, TG4 or TG1express.

Old 09-13-11, 10:26 PM
B
the company i was interested in Signup for Professional Monitoring or alarms sellout charges $8.95. they just told me they cannot monitor my DSC 1555 cos this alarm does not support voice dialing which is what their GSM Dialers use. i have to install a digicell 2550 which will cost an extra $10/pm + it's buy cost. not good, rather i want the $8.95 deal that's it.

do you know if the DSC1616 can support voice dialing? cos then it can work with their gsm dialers system.
what is the significance of a CID as opposed to say GSM dialers. sorry if it's obvious but i am a complete newbie and this is my first foray into alarms.

P/S
This upgrade is being offered by smiththompson, they are big in texas. they will send a tech. to install at no cost to me. monitoring cost is $16.95 monthly for landline or cell (or both, don't matter) with their uplink digicell 2500 (an additional $89). and no contract.

Old 09-14-11, 03:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Contact ID is one of the industry standard methods for alarm communication, and a "central station" that doesn't support it probably isn't going to meet minimum standards.

The newer DSC models like the PC1616 do have a "residential dial" feature that will dial a landline or cell phone.

Old 10-17-11, 11:21 PM
B
Opinion On Chinese Made Alarms with GSM, wireless and Residential Dial Feature?

hey guys

i have been away attending to a family emergency situation. thanx for your support if i hadn't said it.

the goal is to disconnect landline, have GSM alarm system and monitoring at $8.95 p/m with alarmrelay and keep low any costs i can without any compromise.

it seems i will have to do away with my PC1555. i came across chinese made systems that seem to meet all my needs for a little over $100. they have north american gsm, wireless and have residential dial feature (upto 6 numbers).
i would like to know people's experiences/opinions/reviews on these Chinese Made Alarms?
do these have comm. protocols that can work with a CMS?

i have attached a link to some of them here and here and here .

Old 10-18-11, 03:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If you want them, buy them, but be prepared to be disappointed...

Old 10-18-11, 09:43 AM
B
could you be a little more specific with the short coming part? thx!

Old 10-19-11, 03:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
These inexpensive all in one systems are seldom up to even minimum standards. The installation instructions are nearly alway cryptic english translations. The hardware looks and feels cheap, and it's even more proprietary than standard alarm wireless components.

Old 10-21-11, 12:32 PM
M
People (including pros) have enough problems with standard systems for which there is a large body of knowledge available and lots of support. You are just asking for trouble by getting something weird, which it would be by definition, no matter what their advertising says.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: