HELP! smoke detectors chirping

Old 10-04-11, 07:45 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HELP! smoke detectors chirping

I built my house 12 years ago. Had to hardwire in the smoke detectors. Not a problem, worked fine through a few burned dinners, etc.

A few weeks ago they started chirping like low batteries on battery powered ones. These have no batteries.

Why are they chirping? They all are doing it together. Had to turn off the breaker to them and now have no smoke detector protection. :NO NO NO:

Old 10-04-11, 07:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 123 Votes on 114 Posts
I

If these are hardwired 120v smokes, they also have a backup battery that requires periodic replacement.

Some models also chirp when the sensor mechanism is at the end of it's lifespan. The standard residential ION smoke has a typical functional lifespan between 7-10 years.

Old 10-05-11, 07:32 AM
D
They must be at the end of their life then. I took them all down and checked for batteries and found none.

Is there a test I could do to double check?

Thanks for all you help MrRonFL.

Old 10-05-11, 04:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 123 Votes on 114 Posts
The specific one(s) having a problem may have a LED that blinks or flashes, but the basic reality is that ION smokes of this age are pretty much past their lifespan.

They do still make the 120v smoke alarms without a battery backup. Do yourself a favor, and when you do the replacement, get models that have the battery as well as AC power.

Old 10-06-11, 01:46 PM
D
Thanks. I have just ordered new ones with battery backup and they have led lights to let me know a variety of things.

I appreciate all your help!

Dennis

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: