removed window and bell and cant get the DSC 832 to work

Old 10-26-11, 04:54 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
removed window and bell and cant get the DSC 832 to work

I am a dolt - My father died 2 years ago and my Mom is not well. the contracter just took out a leaky double window and closed the wall, and he ripped out the old bell from the alarm system, to replace the bell with an ademco siren. we cant get the thing to work, we just joined the wires for the dble window sensors together thinking it would see it as closed, but now i see that the program has to be changed? the old bell had only two wires and the ademco has red black yellow and white, so obviously something more needs to be done. we have tried every wire combination and it says trouble all the time - when you push *2 it says either BR window, clock not working or something like "Faskey error" call service.....all the alarm system wires have green white and red - so ground = -. My mother has no idea who installed this many years ago so I am feeling a bit blind.

any help appreciated.

Old 10-26-11, 07:14 PM
F
What is the model number of your siren? The model number will help us determine what wires need to be connected.
If the system is programmed for EOL resistors you may have to tie a 5.6k resistor across the window wires for the system to think that the zone is normal. Here is a link to the user manual that may help you understand the system better. When you get there search for a PC5010 manual.

DSC - User Manuals

Old 10-27-11, 12:23 PM
K
Wow - thanks so much for even answering fishlips -

the ademco siren is the in/out dual tone 748 and has a warble and steady wire - i will likely use the steady - i have no idea about the tamper wire because the old bell only had + & - red/black. The system is a DSC 5010 - per the panel.

i just looked for resisters and the system elsewhere has what looked like magnetic things attached to the window and door on the outside for some, the rest are inside as were the ones on the double casement window we took out - i believe there must have been two resistors or wires, one for each window, but the trouble message is just for one window - maybe that is the "zone". I guess I will take apart the window to try to see what is inside - thank goodness I asked him not to dump it yet. I have no idea where the control box is but i will look around the cellar - a mess in its own right. the two wires we guess are the bell wires seem to ring the bell no matter what when we hook them up red to red, even though the system says ready to arm and trouble light is on.

at least I have a thread to go on now I will try to do some research and get a little further along before I ask for help again. I just brought my Mom home 30 mins ago and checking here was the first thing i did, since the exterior wall is going to stay open til this gets solved!

thanks
klh

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: