Defective Magnetic Contact?

Old 11-07-11, 08:45 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Defective Magnetic Contact?

My alarm went off today for no apparent reason. The alarm (which I installed myself) was showing a fault on the back door. Nobody had opened the back door (entry #2), so therefore nobody entered the code to disarm the system, and the alarm went off.

After I got my heart to stop pounding and verified everything was ok, I began trying to think of a solution. While standing there at the keypad, the chime beeped as if someone had opened the door.

I know how to bypass the back door until I get a chance to check it out, but I'm sure my wife will not get it right.

The system has been in for about a year, and I haven't had any problems until now. What could be wrong with this switch, and how can I test it? It it more than likely the switch itself, or maybe where I connected the leads to the alarm wire?

I'm just hoping someone can give me some tips to save me some troubleshooting time! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-11, 09:19 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red switces will fail

For some reason reed switches will fail and short out. Check the cover for tamper switch operation. It could have jacked out a the cover little. Think ,I slam your ever day soon a latter you will move too. If you a using the internal reeds switch you can try and using another externial switch and terminal under the cover. Tape a magent to the device and see if the the internal switch still works. Last and should be first check to see if the magnet is still on the door ?

Old 11-08-11, 03:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
If it's a hardwired switch, the simple test is to jiggle the door with the chime on. If you get chime activation, then the most likely problem is that the magnet is sitting just on the edge of the activation zone.

Sometimes the door sags in the frame, or seasonal swelling/shrinking can cause a contact set that worked to be on a hair-trigger.

It could also simply be a failing contact.

Old 11-08-11, 10:40 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Contacts

Wireless contacts have batteries. If yours is wireless, try a new battery.