Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electronic Home Security Systems, Alarms and Devices
Reload this Page >

Programming a 6160RF Keypad to enable wireless RF devices on a Vista 10-SE Panel

Programming a 6160RF Keypad to enable wireless RF devices on a Vista 10-SE Panel

Old 11-25-11, 06:59 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I recently upgraded my 6128 keypad to the 6160RF to get alpha programming and wireless RF so I can expand my system. For the hard-wired zones, everything seems to be fine. I've been all through the programming and have no issues understanding it. The issue I have is with adding a wireless 5800PIR-RES motion sensor. I successfully added the new zone including zone number, zone type, report code, Input device type and Serial # for the device. The keypad successfully enrolled the device to the system and gave me confirmation. Or so it seems. The issue is I see no fault status at the keypad when I trip the zone for a test. The 5800PIR-RES is blinking when I trip the zone but there's no confirmation at the keypad for the faulted zone. I checked the programming a thousand times and even re-enrolled the device several times. I am starting to think I did not program the 6160RF keypad correctly for RF although it enrolled the device and confirmed it. It definitely seems more confusing than programming the panel. Can anyone help? I don't have any other wireless keypads or key fobs.

Old 11-25-11, 07:03 PM
K
Programming a 6160RF keypad for adding RF devices to a Vista 10-SE Panel

I recently upgraded my 6128 keypad to the 6160RF to get alpha programming and wireless RF so I can expand my system. For the hard-wired zones, everything seems to be fine. I've been all through the programming and have no issues understanding it and making changes. The issue I have is with adding a wireless 5800PIR-RES motion sensor. I successfully added the new zone including zone number, zone type, report code, Input device type and Serial # for the device. The keypad successfully enrolled the device to the system and gave me confirmation. Or so it seems.

The issue is I see no fault status at the keypad when I trip the zone for a test. The 5800PIR-RES is blinking when I trip the zone but there's no confirmation at the keypad for the faulted zone. I checked the programming a thousand times and even re-enrolled the device several times. I am starting to think I did not program the 6160RF keypad correctly for RF although it enrolled the device and confirmed it. The keypad programming seems more confusing than programming the panel. Can anyone help? I don't have any other wireless keypads or key fobs.

Old 11-25-11, 07:50 PM
F
If the motion is flashing it is in walk test mode and should be sendind trips to the keypad. What is the zone type, zone number, and partition it is set to? When programming the serial number did you auto enroll it by walking past the sensor or did you hand program it?

Old 11-25-11, 08:02 PM
F
Make sure field 22 has a 1 in it to tell the system it is using a wireless receiver.

Old 11-25-11, 08:15 PM
M
Hi Fish,

Did you mean the House ID field 24 or am I missing something?

Mark

Old 11-25-11, 10:58 PM
J
RF motion

When you "trip" the sensor, is the system armed? If so, is it armed in away mode?

If you are checking it while disarmed, then the keypad will only briefly show the fault and then it will clear so if you cant see the keypad when you walk in front of the motion then by the time you look at it everything will be fine again. If you test it when armed then it should work unless you input the incorrect serial number. If you programmed it as zone type 04 and you test it, you should get an instant alarm. If it is programmed as type 10, it will give you a 30 sec. delay before full alarm. There isn't any field to program to turn the wireless on, just the zone programming and having the receiver for it enables it to work automatically.

Good luck!

Old 11-26-11, 04:40 AM
K
I tried tripping the sensor in test mode and in disarmed mode where I had my wife walk around to fault it while I stayed at the keypad. I get no fault status updates at the keypad. Go/No Go test didn't work either. The Transmitter Sniffer Mode test did seem to work though. It shows the wireless device on zone 10 and it flashes when I trip it.

Last night however, my wife went downstairs and set the new 5800 motion off while in Stay mode! But she said it took 10 minutes for the zone to trip. Weird. It is definitely programmed for zone type 04, just like my other hard-wired motion sensors and the serial number is correct. I'm thinking it's a lemon.

In the 6160rf programming instructions, there are options for setting the keypad address, enabling the receiver, inputting the receiver address, house ID, and enable/disable high security mode. The only thing I changed is I set the keypad address to 31 (non-addressable for a 10-SE). I only changed the keypad address to 31. The rest is set as follows:

Receiver Enable: On
Receiver Address: 00
House ID: not prompted for this since receiver is enabled
Enable High Security Mode: Off
Disable High Security Devices: Off

Old 11-26-11, 04:52 AM
K
I just realized that the Zone that was faulted when the Alarm went off in Stay mode was Zone 09, which is Tamper and then it said Family Room Motion but nobody was tampering with the sensor. I have the sensor mounted just under 7 feet high in the corner of the room. Could heat affect the Tamper?

Last edited by kcshepherd; 11-26-11 at 05:30 AM.
Old 11-26-11, 07:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
On a vista 10se zones 7,8,& 9 are reserved zones (Zone 9 is a dedicated tamper zone, for example) and cannot be used for wireless devices. You have to start all expansion zones at zone 10.

Wireless motions go to "sleep" when there's constant motion in the space, (a battery conserving feature). So the long delay is actually normal. If you actually stay out of the space (and the motion is properly mounted) it should trip right away.

The house ID function only matters if you are using bi-diectional devices like wireless keypads. It's not needed for normal zone transmitters.

Old 11-26-11, 07:57 AM
K
Field *22 is set to "2" for 5800 series RF. "1" is for 4200.

Old 11-26-11, 08:00 AM
K
Originally Posted by MrRonFL
On a vista 10se zones 7,8,& 9 are reserved zones (Zone 9 is a dedicated tamper zone, for example) and cannot be used for wireless devices. You have to start all expansion zones at zone 10.

Wireless motions go to "sleep" when there's constant motion in the space, (a battery conserving feature). So the long delay is actually normal. If you actually stay out of the space (and the motion is properly mounted) it should trip right away.

The house ID function only matters if you are using bi-diectional devices like wireless keypads. It's not needed for normal zone transmitters.
Thanks for the info. So then why would the sensor go off for a Tamper fault in Stay mode for no reason? My wife was in the room when it went off and she didn't tamper with it. Is there anyway to disable tamper?

Old 11-26-11, 10:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Without seeing what you are actually doing and keying in, all I am left with is an educated guess. Did you make sure the cover on the motion is properly in place?

Could you be seeing "Check 09" which indicates trouble with the wireless receiver; which could be anything from being improperly configured to not actually having devices enrolled.

This is a situation where the specific things you keyed in are important.

Old 11-26-11, 12:44 PM
K
I did see a "Check 09" but then it flashes and turns into "Zone 09" and lists a Zone like a door being left open.

Old 11-29-11, 01:34 PM
K
MrRonFL: I confirmed I am seeing a "Check 09". Does this mean trouble with the wireless receiver in the 6160RF keypad or one of the motion sensor devices I installed?

Old 11-29-11, 02:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, it means that either you didn't actually enroll the devices like you thought, or your have something misconfigured.

This is one of those situations where I suspect that what you _think_ you have done may not actually align with the actual instructions.

Old 11-30-11, 07:28 AM
K
OK, let me confirm the programming of the 6160RF keypad:

1. Enter 6160RF keypad programming by power cycling the panel and then pressing the "1" and "3'" keys simultaneously on the keypad within 60 seconds.
2. Set keypad address to "31" (non-addressable for Vista 10-SE's).
3. Receiver Enable: "1" (1=ON)
4. Receiver Address: "00" (I thought this would be same value as keypad address but only choices are 00-30. Could this be where the issue is?).
5. House ID: (Does not appear when Receiver is Enabled)
6. Enable High Security Mode: "OFF"
7. Disable High Security Devices: "NO"

Also, note that I ran new keypad wire from my panel, rebooted the system and re-enrolled all my wireless devices. All are working and passed the Test procedure (Master Code + Test). I do not have any wireless keyfob remotes or any other keypads, wired or wireless.

Any help confirming the keypad programming will be greatly appreciated.

Keith

Last edited by kcshepherd; 11-30-11 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-30-11, 11:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Those settings are all correct.

The Vista 10se is a pretty simple system. There's not a whole lot of settings to alter. Make sure that the RF jam feature is turned off in system programming.

With second hand information we really are hitting the limits of anything other than random guessing.

Old 12-02-11, 01:06 PM
K
***Update***

I bought a new 6160RF keypad, programmed it to address 31 and confirmed the other settings and I'm still getting a "Check 09" error. I'm thinking my 10-SE panel doesn't like 5800 wireless. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 20P.

Old 12-05-11, 01:50 AM
J
Check 09

Following MrRon's instructions, did you take the motion sensor off of zone 9 and move it to a different zone location?? You should simply program zone 9 as zone type 00 (not used) and delete zone. Then reprogram the motion in a different location (zone 10 if available) and see if you still have the same problem.

How many wireless devices do you have? If all others are working properly then this just about has to be the problem. Try this and update on the results.

Good luck,
Josh

Old 12-05-11, 03:46 AM
K
@Jdh79

Zone 09 is a Tamper Zone and cannot be programmed on my panel. All 5800 wireless devices start at zone 10. According to the manual, when you get a "Check 09 Zone 09" fault, it means there is a communication issue between control and the receiver or one of the wireless devices hasn't "checked in" in the last 12 hours. The wireless devices all work fine and were all auto-enrolled. This is my second keypad and I'm still seeing this issue so by process of elimination, it has to be the panel. I wanted to upgrade to the 20p to get more zones anyway so I guess that's what I'm going to do now.

Old 12-15-11, 03:40 PM
K
***UPDATE***

I upgraded my 10se panel to a 20p and so far it's working flawlessly. Guess my 10se didn't like 5800 wireless. Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions.

Old 12-18-11, 06:17 AM
K
***New Issue***

I transferred all 6 hard-wired zones from my 10se to my new 20p without any issues. All work fine. So I decided to add another motion to hard-wired zone 7. I wired a Honeywell IS215T to the panel, just like I did for zone 6. Black goes to 4, Red to 5, and Green to 18 and Yellow (with EOLR) to 19. On the Motion, I wired (from top terminal to bottom), Red, Black, Yellow, Green. I programmed zone 07 with zone type 04, partition 1, hardware type NO (normally closed). But I keep getting a Fault 07. What am I doing wrong?

Old 12-18-11, 10:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Maybe it's just a typo, but NO is normally _open_. You need either NC (normally _closed_) or EOL with the resistor.

Old 12-18-11, 02:32 PM
K
I meant NC, Normally Closed, but I changed it to EOLR and it worked! Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: