Yet another chirping smoke alarm

Old 01-02-12, 08:24 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yet another chirping smoke alarm

We removed a smoke alarm about 3 years ago from a bedroom on the opposite side of the house from the kitchen due to excessive chirping. We replaced it, yet again had chirping issues. Now we are getting the house ready for market and have again replaced the smoke alarm. When installed, we used a fresh 9v battery, installed correctly. The LED initially flashed red every 40 seconds, indicating AC power and proper functioning (according to manufacture). Within 12 hours it began chirping every 30 seconds and the red led went to flashing every second. I silenced the detector with the reset switch, and the next morning re-tested the alarm and it went back to proper function mode. Again 12 hours later the alarm went to chirp mode, red LED flashing every second. Reset, retested the next morning, and same OK function when re-tested. Again chirping started 12 hours later.

Looks like deja vu from three years ago. The alarm system is wired separately from power to that side of the house and in circuit (but I cannot cut off power to the alarms from the breaker box). I also kept this alarm off the circuit until I knew this fixed. I now think there is something in the AC power in the bedroom triggering the issue, but power tests OK, as well as battery. Any ideas for next steps BEFORE I call an electrician?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-12, 02:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 95 Posts
You got a dud. Start over with a fresh set of matching hardwired AC/DC smokes. As far as the in house wiring is concerned, if there's 110vac at the connections, then you are good to go.

You might want to determine exactly which breaker actually controls this circuit.

Old 01-03-12, 07:22 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you sure you have 110v power at the detector. I have 3 hard wired electric smoke detectors in my residence and they are on a dedicated circuit breaker independent of other wiring in the house. Any chance you could have a breaker open that does not affect anything but the detectors? Just troubleshooting.