Concord 4 2 wire smoke question

Old 01-10-12, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concord 4 2 wire smoke question

I have a Concord 4 that already has two 2 wire smoke detectors (System Sensor 2WT B) hard wired into zone 8. I have a two story detached garage where I would like to add 2 more smoke detectors. The detached garage has an 8 input expansion module tied back to the main panel in the house.
Q1: Can you have additional smoke zones in addition to hard wire zone 8?
Should I (or can I) wire new garage smoke detectors into one of the expansion modules zone and just set the sensor group to "smoke/fire", or is it better to loop all four smoke detectors together?

Q2: The installation manual for the System Sensor 2WT B says not to put it in a garage, and the Concord 4 installation manual says don't mix smoke detector models. I wanted a smoke detector upstairs in the garage, and I guess I need a heat detector in the garage part. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-12, 01:42 PM
You can have up to 20 2wire smokes on zone 8, but they need to be on the same loop (not all homerun back to zone 8.

You cannot use the remote hardwire expander (HIM) for smokes). You CAN use either the input snapcard or the combo snapcard for additional smoke loops (10 smokes per loop).

Heat detector is a good option for a garage....

Old 01-10-12, 07:44 PM
Thank you for replying GEGUY. I have the garage as a separate partition so if I loop all of the smoke detectors together, they will be in partition 1. That is good if a fire breaks out in the garage and I am in the house because the alarm will sound in the house. But not so good if a fire breaks out when I am in the garage because the partition 2 keypads won't ring for an alarm in partition 1. Am I mistaken? Is there a way to make all partitions alarm for a fire alarm?

Also, regarding the home run comment: For the two smokes that I already have hooked up, I home ran both to the panel, but because I used 4 conductor wire, I used the extra two conductors from one of the runs to loop the detectors in series. EOL at the last detector. I was planning on doing the same thing with the garage smokes and moving the EOL over there. Is that incorrect wiring?

Last question - if I want to use a heat detector in the garage, can that be wired up in zone 8 with the 2 wire smokes I have now? Is there a model that is compatible?

Thanks again for helping.

Old 01-10-12, 08:34 PM
Question 1...Yes, turn on GLOBAL FIRE in programming....

Question 2...Sounds good

Question 3...Yes and as long as it's 2 wire, you should be OK

Old 01-11-12, 06:53 AM
Perfect. Thanks again GEGUY! You are a great resource and I really appreciate you taking the time to help out.