Dsc 1550

Old 01-22-12, 09:10 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dsc 1550

I had the siren working, and then being stupid i disconnected the siren wires (four wires total) when i went to plug them back in i had the postitive plugged into the negative and negative in posstive and a COMMON cable plugged into the +PGM.

The board got really hot, i disconnected the board waited for it to ool down. Plugged back in the power and the panel and zones seemed to be ok.

This time i went up into the attic.

Can you tell me how to wire up my siren?

Its a GS-580A a Two Tone Siren. the label reads as follows:

RED+ Yelp
Yellow+ Steady
White- Common

Those cables connect to a long cable that goes to the board...

That mapping is as follows:

Yellow+ Steady -- Not connected up
RED+ --- Connected to RED and GREEN cables
White- Common ---- Connected to Blake and Yellow Cables

On my board i have a BELL-, BELL+ and +PGM (if thats even required or used)

Many thanks.

Matt

Old 01-22-12, 01:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Bell + goes to either Yelp + or Steady + (most people use Yelp), Bell - goes to Common. That's it, that's all.

They may have run 4 conductor, and doubled it up if the wire run was longish, but it's really a 2 wire connection.

Old 01-22-12, 04:57 PM
M
ok so i got the red lead into the BELL+ and the black [Common] into BELL-

A bell test doesnt sound the siren, nor does a zone trip.

So im thinking its either a bad siren or a bad board.
My battery on my system is shot.

Just trying to figure out how much money i want to dump into this old system.

Can i test the siren on my car battery will that even work. If it does then i know its the board and im hosed.

Thoughts?

thanks for your hep thus far.

Old 01-22-12, 05:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
On the main board, there are 3 small fuses. The one closest to the center of the board is the bell output fuse. The odds are pretty good that you popped it. These are pretty hard little fuses to find, they are an odd size, so you will have to do some in depth shopping.

Some place like radio shack _might_ have them, but will probably have to order them.

Old 01-23-12, 01:29 AM
M
Nope, I know the fuses you reference. I took it out to inspect, I see the thin curly wire and it doesn't appear to be broken. PLUS when the fuse was out I got a trouble light on the keypad, this went away when the fuse was back in place.

What about the car battery siren test I mentioned?

Old 01-23-12, 03:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
For testing the siren, any 12VDC source will work.

I blinked past your comment about the system battery being dead. Most of these older systems _must_ have the battery in place to support the siren output, so it's not an optional component.

The odds favor this being a failed siren, since the system went into trouble with the fuse removal.

You can check the siren output by putting a resistor or 12v lamp across the terminals in place of the siren and checking for 12v with a meter (tripped in alarm, of course).

Old 01-23-12, 09:32 AM
M
Glad you mentioned that about the battery, during my siren tests yesterday it was completely disconnected.

So i couldn't wait, I just got back from Radio Shack and got a 12V battery. Its rated for 7 Ah, where the one installed was just 4 Ah which shouldn't matter.

Tonight I'll do another siren test through the system, if that fails I'll touch the sire directly to the battery and post my results!

Old 01-23-12, 03:34 PM
M
Ron,

Ok so the results are in....

Hooked up the new battery to the system.
The trouble light did go out.
However the siren did not go off on zone trip or bell test.

I then touched the Bell+ to the + on the battery and the COMMON to the negative, i got a spark but no siren sound.

So at this point its time to buy a new siren. Going to find a cheap two tone siren online.

Would you agreen Ron?

Old 01-23-12, 07:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
What you did potentially could have damaged the alarm board. To test the siren you put the siren _wires_ on the battery. In any case it sounds like your siren is likely dead.

Old 01-31-12, 05:33 PM
M
Mr Ron,

There might be life left in the old dog yet. My new siren and battery arrived today and i successfully did a bell test with it all hooked up. So i did want to say a big thanks for all the help.

If i may ask just a few more questions.

I have the dubious task of adding new window sensors and basically re-wiring it all. I noticed that there is wires going into the AUX section, what is that typically used for?

And what is the +PGM used for?

and where do you go to buy new window magents / movement sensors.

thanks.

Old 01-31-12, 06:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Whew, you lucked out! Backfeeding power into the siren terminals like that could have done real damage.

That said:
Websearch using the phrase "door window security contacts". They are really pretty much all the same internally. By the ones that are the size and shape to fit your doors and windows or match the ones you already have (or the ones having the best sale).

Aux power is used for things like motion detectors, powered glass breaks and 4 wire smokes.

On a DSC the PGM terminal is a programmable multifunction terminal that is normally a switchable ground point. They have a lot of uses, but have to be programmed to do you any good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: