DSC 832/5010 - Understanding Zone Faults

Old 01-27-12, 09:12 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DSC 832/5010 - Understanding Zone Faults

I recently moved into a foreclosed home that has a DSC Power 832 security system with 32 zones. Thanks to the great posts on this board, I have been able to determine what is what and configure zones/settings that weren't working at start up.

I've worked out all open zone issues and now have a green ready light and can arm/disarm without issues. To get to this point I had to resolve 2 issues - one was a zone (call it ABC) that was open and none of the 4-wire fire detectors were enabled/monitored. Zone ABC was setup as 03, was wired to PGM1, and was listed on one LCD panel as "upstairs window 1" and the other as an "upstairs fire 2". I tried everything I could to find this sensor, but never could, so, I unhooked it completely and set the zone to 00.

As I mentioned before, I have a green ready light so everything seems to be working, however, I also have a Trouble light and the Trouble display for Zone Faults shows "Zone ABC" (I renamed it). My questions is: Why would I have a zone fault on a null zone? Or, is this just an artifact of the original issue with Zone ABC? If the latter - then how do I clear it? I've armed and disarmed the system many times, and the LCD still displays a zone fault for Zone ABC.

Thanks for any insight.

-Kirk

Old 01-27-12, 06:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 265 Upvotes on 244 Posts
With the somewhat abstract explaination you have given and the changes you have stated that you have made, there is insufficient information to provide a meaningful answer.

Are have you checked for power on the smoke loop? Have you checked for continuity on the window loop? Could the window loop be an acoustic glassbreak?

Basically, there a are a lot of variables and a lot of unknowns.

Old 01-27-12, 09:02 PM
K
Fair enough, I will try and be more succinct and concrete.

The fire zone issue was resolved - I programmed each 4 wire smoke as 07 and PGM2 as 03. All smoke detectors have power and have been tested successfully.

Zone ABC originally displayed as an open zone and would not allow a ready light. I reprogrammed Zone ABC as 00, a null zone, and still the LCD shows a zone fault at Zone ABC. Yet I do have a green ready light.

Is the zone fault displayed an historical record of the original zone fault, or, is there something else that I need to do beyond setting Zone ABC to 00 (null)?

Old 01-28-12, 02:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
No, it's not a phantom trouble memory, DSC doesn't work like that.

What zone number is this? Could it be a wireless zone? (DSC allows replacing a hardwire zone with a wireless one)

If it's a hardwired zone, have you tried replacing the field wiring with a 5.6k resistor?

I am going to hazard a guess that you defaulted the panel to get access to programming.

Old 01-28-12, 02:48 PM
K
Zone is Zone 27. I did not default the panel - default pass codes worked. I don't think it is a wireless zone - I assume a wireless receiver would be needed and there is not one.

Note, right now Zone 27 has no wires at the panel. I did put a resistor between COM and zone 27 and this made no difference - the zone fault still showed.

Maybe if I understood zone faults a little better. What is a zone fault? I realize it is different than an open zone, but what causes a zone fault? Is a zone fault specific to supervised zones?

Thanks!

Old 01-28-12, 06:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If the reported zone number is 27 (I hope you don't confuse the zone number with the system terminal numbers), then is is either a wireless zone or it's on a zone expander. It sounds like it's a wireless device that may have been physically removed (possibly a glass break detector). In this case all you can really do is go into the wireless reciever programming and delete the transmitter.

You may not see a wireless receiver, but you may have a RF model keypad. If you have a hardwire zone expander board, it's pretty obvious.

Old 01-28-12, 07:21 PM
K
Correct, zone 27 is on a zone expander. I have 3 zone expanders for a total of 32 zones.

Given this is on an zone expander that rules out wireless, correct?

Old 01-29-12, 04:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, the knowlege that there are zone expanders involved would have eliminated many lines of writing (information via "20 questions" kinda slows the process down).

If you put the correct sized eol resistor on the zone input and the zone still doesn't close, then the only thing remaining is that the actual zone input has failed.

Assuming all other zone programming is correct all you can try is removing the zone from the partition in programming location 205.

There's no magic bullet on this. If setting the zone type to null (00) and removing the zone from the system doesn't clear the trouble, then either the zone expander or the system main board are failing.

Old 01-29-12, 08:45 AM
K
You seem to be implying that an open zone is the same as a zone fault. This is the point of my original question and trying to understand zone faults better.

Zone 27 is not Open, it is closed. It was open, but I closed it via the correctly sized resistor and then removing it by setting it to 00.

However, zone 27 still shows up in Zone Faults.

So, what exactly is a Zone Fault? Is it different than an open zone? What can cause a Zone Fault?

Old 01-29-12, 01:13 PM
F
Zone fault normally means that the panel has lost supervision to the device. Normally this only can happen with wireless devices or fire zones.
How have you verified that you are looking at the correct expander board? If you pull a zone wire off on the same board does it report as one of the zones 25-32?
Also what type of lcd keypad is this 5500 or 5501?
What is the zone type (section 004) and zone attributes (section 127)?
If you haven't already you may want to reset power to the system.

Old 01-29-12, 07:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
This is from the power series reference manual (which is actually for the current generation panels, but DSC used the PC5010 as the basis for these) and is a more complete explaination of this alarm trouble than the one in the installer manual:

"Zone Fault (including Fire Zone): A zone on the system is experiencing trouble, meaning that zone could not provide and alarm to the panel if required to do so (e.g. a fire zone is open, or there is a short on a DEOL zone, or there is a supervisory fault on a wireless zone..."

Sorry, we really can't blindly guess at exactly what's wrong with your system. It could be a programming glitch, it could just need to be power cycled.

Old 01-30-12, 01:51 PM
K
I wasn't asking you to blindly guess, I was asking for insight into what could be a cause to help me determine the problem. All I was asking for was what you (finally) responded with. This information is not in any of the user guides or installation guides that I have for the older system.

Old 01-30-12, 01:55 PM
K
Thanks Fishlips, this is helpful. Yes, I'm on the correct expander board (verfied by opening that zone, and one next to it). LCD is 5500, zone type is set to 00. Attributes were set to 12346 but I tried turning them all off today to see if it made a difference. I will attempt to power cycle tonight to see if that helps.

Old 01-30-12, 07:59 PM
K
Fishlips - thanks! Power reset got rid of the zone fault.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: