Alarm system for Garage?

Old 02-17-12, 08:07 AM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Alarm system for Garage?

My garage is detached at the back of my house, it is made of brick 16'L x 10'W x 8' high and has front pull up door, side door and side window. Can anyone recommend an affordable but effective alarm system for me please?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-12, 12:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 85 Posts
If you just want a noise maker to discourage casual prowlers like neighborhood kids, one of the small wireless all in one units like a Simon or a Lynx will do the trick. If you are wanting something more substantial, it gets more complicated and more expensive.

Old 02-17-12, 12:32 PM
M
I want something which will scare off any potential robbers

Old 02-17-12, 01:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
In that case, if it's easy to run wires, something like a DSC PC1616 will work just fine, and will have enough power to supply a real siren or two (something the AOI units can't do easily) and you can put the keypad(s) well away from the system control box.

Old 02-17-12, 01:36 PM
M
ok, will look into it, thanks!

Old 02-20-12, 07:19 AM
M
Is this what you're referring to?

DSC PC1616 Complete Hybrid Starter Kit KIT16-120

If yes, will it cover all three entrances [2 doors and one window]?

Old 02-20-12, 01:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It will cover basically as many openings as you are willing to either wire contacts to, or purchase wireless transmitters for (up to 32 zones). Remember, with hardwiring, you can have more than one opening in a single zone.

Old 02-20-12, 01:38 PM
M
I don't understand a couple of things about the loudness of the speaker and the placement of the code pad? Will whatever's included work or will I need to purchase to purchase louder speaker? Also regarding placement of the equipment, don't nderstand how this will work since I am assuming I won't be able to place the pad where you put the password in on the outside of the garage or is that pad weather proof? Same goes for speakers?

Old 02-20-12, 04:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, clearly what you are lacking is intrusion alarm fundamentals.

The keypad goes inside next to a door that will be on a zone programmed as a time delayed entry/exit zone. If you want to get fancy, since it's a wireless reciever keypad, you can get a remote keyfob to arm and disarm from the outside.

All other openings go on zones programmed as instant activation when the system is armed. If you want to get wild and crazy, you can install the motion inside the garage (given that most garages are a little prone to things like critter invasions, it's usually more headache than it's worth).

That little 15 watt siren is about 110-120 decibels. If you want something more aggressive, you can add a more aggressive one (within the limits of the system's rated power output limits). That one is indoor rated, but in something the size of a garage, it will be not only painfully loud, but audible a fair bit outside (unless the garage is unusually well insulated).

You still need to get either wire and hardwired contacts, or wireless transmitter contacts.

Old 02-21-12, 05:35 AM
M
Ok thanks, last question please, I didn't want anyone entering the garage then to have the alarm go off, I want the alarm to go off whenever someone tampers with any of the 3 entrances from the outside, is this possible with this unit please?

Old 02-21-12, 09:34 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How are YOU going to get into the garage without the alarm going off?? Better get a keyfob as MrRon suggests

Old 02-21-12, 10:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
An alternative (but somewhat of an additional expense) is to get a weatherproof keypad like those used for access control systems and hook it to your system as a "keyswitch zone".

Examples: weatherproop keypad - Google Search

Otherwise, go with the keyfob.