Vista 20p randomly says system not ready

Old 02-25-12, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vista 20p randomly says system not ready

Ok, so I have an lcd display pannel.

I have zone 2 as entry type to front door.
I have zone 3 as entry type to side door.

problem: sometimes system displays not ready to arm, and under display faults it shows a fault for zone 2.

when this happens:
scenario 1: I enter from side door and disarm the alarm. Shut side door, and see no green light that system is ready. This will happen maybe once in a couple of weeks. Normally it will automatically go green for system ready as soon as I shut the door.
scenario 2: Happened only once. I very seldomely use the front door. I armed the alarm and walked out the front door. I got to the car and realized forgot my cell. I went back in, shut the front door, and had to disarm the alarm. At no point did the alarm actually go off. I grabbed the cellphone and was trying to arm the alarm when I noticed it says system not ready, and again fault on zone 2.

I can clear faults and everything is fine. What can cause this?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-12, 08:34 PM
Seems that maybe the allignment of the magnet and the switch may be off. Turn on your door chimes ( code + 9 ) and try to jiggle the front door to see if the zone 2 will trigger. If not then possibly a bad switch.

Old 02-26-12, 06:55 AM
Its on the door jam and is a plunger type contact.

When the system says not ready, I go and open and close the front door, many times. Still the system says not ready no matter what, unless I clear the fault.

Old 02-26-12, 08:16 AM
Possibly the door isn't pushing the plunger all the way in. Check the space between the two with the door closed or try pushing the plunger switch with your finger to see if the zone goes normal.

Old 02-26-12, 10:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 31 Votes on 30 Posts
Plunger contacts are notorious for failing in this manner. Replace it.

Old 02-26-12, 10:05 AM
Ok, just some constructive thinking, but your statement about the door doesnt make sense to me. Im no pro at this so maybe you are right, but how bout this info.

If the situation occurs and the plunger isnt pressed, than wouldnt I have to bypass the zone instead of clear the faults? (keep in mind this occurs with or without opening the front door and I can open and close the front door, still the fault isnt released until I clear the fault)

Also I thought maybe the alarm was tripped somehow in my non-presence. However it happened with me once where I left out the front door and came back in in less than 2 mins. I would have heard if the alarm was triggered.

Lastly the sensors are new, and we barely use the front door. Sometimes error occurs without using the front door at all.

Old 02-26-12, 11:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is this a hardwired contact? Yes or No?

If it's wired, then the contact is probably at fault. If it's wireless then you may have a programming error.

Did this opening work correctly in the past? Yes or No?

Was this a DIY install?

Old 02-26-12, 12:54 PM
Intermittent problems are a technical nightmare and require as much succinct information as possible.

As well as the above questions, also provide as much info as you reasonably can: Has the system been changed/serviced recently? Old panel battery? Does it only happen when you close the door hard/quietly? etc.

You will probably need to do some more testing and provide information that could help narrow down the options or, have a technician look at it.

Old 02-26-12, 06:37 PM
When you say you have to clear the fault are you saying that you have to press your code + 1 to get the ready light on? If that's the case then I would test your siren and verify that it is working.

Old 02-27-12, 06:28 PM
Contact is wired.

There is no way to recreate the situation.

I can go without using the front door (That means NO-ONE in the household will use it either). And it will still do it. And yes I have to clear faults by entering in user code to get the ready light again. Its not like the door is open, and it needs to bypass the zone. Its like a fault that requires a password to clear the fault.

Siren is tested. I have also tested the system using the front door, but problem is very sporadic.

Panel is a couple years old. Contact is brand new.

Old 02-27-12, 06:59 PM
What's the model number of the keypad you have?

Old 02-27-12, 09:34 PM
6720 and 6160v are the two. Majority of the one used is the 6720

Old 02-28-12, 11:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
This is behaving like the tamper switch on a wireless device battery cover, or possibly set for an odd supervision like "double balanced".

Again, was this a DIY install?

Have you checked the zone settings for this zone?

If this is an EOL zone have you checked the size of the EOL Resistor?

If you disconnect the zone at the head end, and connect a simple wire jumper (or eol resistor) does the zone behave this way if you make and break the connection?

No magic bullets with troubleshooting this stuff. You have to be methodical. First you eliminate the mechanical, then you mess with the software.

Old 02-28-12, 02:46 PM
if no problems with sensor, could be something like an exit error, so instead of attempting to communicate a burglar alarm it is attempting to communicate a trouble (maint condition type) signal.
just a thought

Old 02-28-12, 08:52 PM
Yes this is a DIY.
Is there any way to know if lets say the front door was triggered? Will the siren keep going off, or after a while does it stop screaming? Is there a way to see what zone was triggered and when on the touchpad? There are the required EOLs that came with it. Im not using the Zone doubling ones. I know the resistors are correct. I guess the next step I will perform is first change the EOL resistor. If problem persists, I will than switch the front door to a different zone.

As for my settings:
02 01 1 10 el:1 Report code: 1st 01 2nd 00 10 EOL 0 Resp Time 1
Zone2
Type 01

I have no idea what this means:
This is behaving like the tamper switch on a wireless device battery cover, or possibly set for an odd supervision like "double balanced".

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...#ixzz1njukINqg

Old 02-29-12, 05:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look at the wiring diagrams for hardwired zones in the installer manual.

Your programming looks correct.

From the user manual:

"Memory of Alarm
  • When an alarm condition occurs, the keypad(s) display the number(s) of the zone(s) that caused the problem, and displays the type of alarm.
  • The message remains displayed even after disarming the system but can be cleared with another "off" sequence."

Yes, the siren times out after about 5 minutes (or whatever duration you set it for in programming).

On the whole, I think that you are sometimes getting a false trip in that opening, and then blindly arming while not realizing that the system was in alarm display mode.

I don't think this is a programming problem, I think, really, that this is a zone contact/wiring problem, with a bit of user error thrown in.