Lynx Touch Permanent Mounting of control panel

Old 03-03-12, 07:07 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lynx Touch Permanent Mounting of control panel

Should the control panel be concealed?
I have my basic system working fine for about a week and now I want to decide where to place the control panel. The primary entry into my home is via the garage door. I have AC outlets close to the garage door but the alarm would be easily visible from the back doors and windows. I notice on the Honeywell demo videos the control panel is on a wall near the front door. It seems easy for an intruder to smash the panel within seconds if it is plain sight. I do want the control panel on the main floor with the system voice volume enough that I can hear the door openings from anywhere in the house while the system is disarmed.

I was planning on primarily using keyfobs to away arm the system but I am not sure because the house keys and the keyfobs would be left on a key holder by the garage door at night. An intruder could just disarm with the "found" keyfobs. I may get a 5828V instead.

I intend to add a 5800wave wireless siren in the future.

Old 03-04-12, 11:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
I will start by stating that I am not the biggest fan of these little all-in-one systems. They are fine for something like an apartment/condo or a small house, but when people try to stretch them into acting like a traditional control and keypad security system, you spend nearly as much time and parts as it would have cost to install a real security system.

That said:

Probably the best compromise is to put the unit inside a closet with a vented door so that the speaker can be heard, or at least far enough in the house, and possibly behind a door that is normally open, so it's not in obvious sight.

For the keyfobs, I would invest in a key storage that's got drawers or a door.

Remember, the goal is to slow anyone down past the dialer delay time. A real pro is not going to be stopped by a system like this, it's more of a deterrence for your typical neighborhood opportunist.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: