DLS 2002 in Oracle Virtual Box

Old 03-06-12, 07:31 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DLS 2002 in Oracle Virtual Box

We recently upgraded our PC's and they have Windows 7. I cannot get DLS 2002 to function correctly in Windows 7 so I installed Oracle's Virtual Box and am running Windows XP as a virtual machine. I can connect to my panels but when I attempt to upload the event buffer the panel stops responding. I know the panel is working because the software works fine when I try it on a straight XP machine. Does anybody have any ideas what the issue might be. I would use DLS IV but it doesn't seem to recognize the older panels such as PC1555MX.

Thanks
Michael

Old 03-06-12, 06:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
Yeesh! I have enough trouble with the DLS package without dealing with a virtual machine on top of it...

I'm guessing that you are using a USB-Serial converter. This is borderline to my expertise, but I seem to recall that DLS 2002 is pretty fussy about the settings for one of those things, and some cheaper ones simply don't work right.

Old 03-08-12, 03:58 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thought I would give an update with the solution I came up with. Even though we are using Windows 7 Home Premium I was able to get Windows Virtual PC and XP Mode running on the PC. (Microsoft claims those two pieces of software are not for Home Premium.) In order for the install to work I had to remove the Oracle Virtual Box software. I installed DLS 2002 in the Windows Virtual PC and the software worked perfectly. Basically Windows is running the software in XP mode. It is rather unfortunate that DLS IV will not support the older Power Series panels. DSC has confirmed that the only way to run DLS 2002 in Windows 7 is to use XP mode.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: