Looking at a new system and I have a few questions about monitoring and choices

Old 03-06-12, 08:37 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Looking at a new system and I have a few questions about monitoring and choices

I will not have a landline, so I am looking to go GSM. I am leaning more towards GSM, but I am not sure how that works. In case of a fault, will the monitoring company get a call just as they would if I had a land line, or do I need to get some special GSM service? Also, since it has a SIM card, I need to have some type of cell service. I have heard of people using Pre-paid. Can someone explain how that works?

As far as the system is concerned, I am looking at the Lynx Touch with the GSMVLP5. This looks like it will be the easiest to program. Visonic is also appealing because you can get proximity tags. those look pretty cool as we won't have to remember to activate/deactivate the alarm. We leave the house and it is armed...

As far as what we need:
2 motions
3 door sensors
2 key fobs (or proximity sensors)
Audible alarm
control panel
Voip or (preferably) GSM

Thanks for the input.

Old 03-06-12, 09:01 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here's a link that discusses VoIP and GSM a bit.
GSM - voip-info.org

With the questions you have, I'd be emailing their sales@ or techsupport@ with your questions to make sure you have clear understanding of what you're getting into (and eliminate any surprises). Having that written dialog (my own preference is email vs voice for that groundwork), you may have some recourse in the event the system doesn't perform as per your pre-sales agreement or understanding. Oftentimes, a 'performance guarantee' is good to insist on as you're entering into the relationship. If they have confidence that their product is the cat's meow, going into a full or limited performance guarantee shouldn't be a problem and in fact, isn't any difference than that of many stores or onlne establishments - remember the infomercials? Money back if not 'delighted'. :-) That's what you need - a sales guy who's going to work with you to ensure you're happy and they have relevant info on the specs you're talking about. Just my .02

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: